Typical Goldfish Constipation Story?

kelz0429

Hello all!

I have had a bit of experience with constipated fish over the years. In most cases, simply not feeding for a matter of 2 or 3 days has done the trick to get the fish's system back in order.

My poor Goldfish (whose name has been changed from Ace to Oscar) has been constipated ever since I got him (over two weeks ago). I am really starting to get concerned. I know it is constipation, as the only symptom is long, thin, white to clear colored poop with air bubbles in it.

When I first noticed the poop (two days after I got brought Oscar home), I didn't feed for three days, then fed nothing but peas for four days. After the first round of peas, I didn't notice anymore signs of constipation, so I began feeding normally for a few days (once a day--frozen brine shrimp and/or frozen bloodworms--I plan to add an algea wafer or two once a week and I am researching Goldfish flakes/pellets, as I know Goldfish have a higher carbohydrate need than tropicals). After feeding normally for only 3 days, I noticed that Oscar's pooped indicated constipation again. So, this is day number 2 of round 2 of no food.

From several posts on this board, it seems fairly normal that constipation takes a bit of time to get over, but it seems to me that more than 14 days is a very long time--too long.

Has anyone else ever experienced a sonstipation problem like this?

Thanks for your help!

It may be a dietary problem. Have you tried feeding more green foods regularly rather than sticking with high protein-based foods? For many goldfish, they need a regular amount of greens to digest properly.

Also, could you answer the questions at the top? It'll give us a really good idea about what's going on tank-wise.

Hi,answering the questions will really help aid us in this diagnosis,as the more we know the better we can decide the steps needed to be taken.Also,have you seen any other signs symptoms? Flashing?scratching/ clamped fins/bottom sitting

any bumps/redness/red streaks/shredded fins,etc?

Sometimes a new fish will often poo oddly the first few days until it adjusts to a new diet,but continued pooing white would have me wondering if it came with a bit of a bacterial infection /Parasites,etc.,also.

Often times,I recommend to people spending the money and purchasing Medi-Gold from the Goldfish Connection to feed to any new fish while they're going through the quarrantine period,just in case they are carrying any nasties,so you may want to consider this.

Archived