Size Suggestions?

Guest Kiki Lola

Guest Kiki Lola

Ikeep 4 small goldfish (the smallest is about 2cm and is very young and the longest at the moment is about 5" including tail and fins however I am fully aware how big goldfish grow) in an 8 gallon tank!!!!! (though I was planning anyway to get a gigantic tank for them all) What would people recommend, size wize?

My fish seem happy enough for the moment - they're not gasping for air or anything (I always check for this, just in case) but I know I can't keep them in the 8 gallon space forever.

Thanks!

I would suggest getting as big a tank as you can reasonably fit into your environment and can regularly care for in a good way. Fully grown adult goldfish purportedly need 10 gallons per fish - but I prefer somewhere on the order of 20gallons per fish. As the size of the tank goes up, the number of gallons per fish can come down a bit.

For example - one fully grown Oranda can be 12 inches long. He would need at least a 20 gallon tank for himself. But, if you were to have a 60 gallon tank, you could put 4 (maybe even 5 depending on servicing and filtration) adult fish in there.

Some of my tanks I can "overstock" for the fish are smaller and the filtration and service are greater. Some tanks only hold one or two fish - 30 gal @ - for the fish are VERY large and very delicate - they do not tolerate water problems at all.

You will never go wrong with getting bigger, if you have the time to take care of it. Goldfish are like potato chips - you cannot have just one (or 4) :yeah:

Guest Kiki Lola

Okay *mumbling in the corner mode* If my current tank is 8 gal I can fit a... probably about a 40 gallon tank comfortably in my bedroom. That'd be all right wouldn't it? any bigger and I'd have to start removing furniture! :lol1:krazy:

You know that saying BIGGER IS BETTER.....well it is 100% true for goldfish!! I suggest you get the biggest tank you can. The reason I say that is that it will save upgrading again later. ((I am working a deal right now that will upgrade one of my tanks AGAIN!!))

For the time being I would do frequent large water changes to keep your current tank & goldies in good shape! I do weekly water changes & tank cleaning. It is not unusual for me to change 50% (or more at a time!). I just like to keep my tanks clean & plenty of fresh water for them! Beside in some weird way I really enjoy my cleaning routine!! ((Try explaining THAT to a none fish person!!))

Guest Kiki Lola

I have read also that people do DAILY water changes of 50% of the water -- the pet shop I brought my fish from have only recently started selling them, which leads me to believe that they are VERY unversed in fishkeeping, as they told me (and I quote here) to change only 25% of their water once a week because it could kill them having too much "fresh" water in there. So what's the situation then?

I also support the lots of water changes until you can upgrade suggestion. My tank is currently overstocked as well (4 fancies in a 36G), so I'm doing 80% waterchanges 3 times a week to keep my nitrates in check. I'm really looking forward to a few weeks from now when my 20G is cycled and I can move one of my fish to a tank of her own and ease up on the changes! (Although a have to agree with Jeana727, that I also enjoy the routine of tank maintenance. xp)

as they told me (and I quote here) to change only 25% of their water once a week because it could kill them having too much "fresh" water in there.

Well that's about the biggest amount of bull I've heard in quite a while! The cleaner a fish's water is, the better, no doubt about that! :)

I had three fish in a TEN gallon tank and I was doing 40-60% water changes a day.

Do you have a water test kit? It's a VALUABLE tool to let you know what's going on in your water. You look at the numbers and there is no question as to how much water you need to change. I highly recomend getting yourself a set for ammonia and nitrite at the very least. Nitrate and ph if you can afford it.

I agree with everyone - get the biggest you can afford!

I upgraded my fish from a 2 gallon to a 10 gallon. Immediately after I bought it I thought "man, I should have gotten a 20, it just WASNT that much more money." I only had my 10 gallon running for less than two months before I upgraded to a 29 - which is as big as it's going to get as I'm out of room!

You might want to consider getting two tanks, 20 or 29 gallons each, if that accomodates your space better. Otherwise, a 40+ is good. Also, before you do that, ask yourself "will buying a bigger tank tempt me to buy more fish?" if the honest answer is yes then you may as well go for a 55!

Guest Kiki Lola

Thanks for your help guys - I have been perving on larger tanks that I may get in the near future. :heart

I had my water tested for ammonia nitrate today and the nitrate, whilst there (the water in there is less than a month old, as it was a new tank) was almost gone, so that's good news and the ammonia test came out ok too. Apparently that could have made poor Billy and Harvey sick (RIP) :cry1

Archived