Information Please Re: Pearlscales

Guest Juliosmom

Guest Juliosmom

Hello,

Perhaps an odd request; however, my reason will be clear.

I work for a major retail company and they insist on having not only a Pets department but they also carry fish. Out of the staff, I think there are two of us who are 'fish' people and we don't even work in the department but my department is next door so I spend quite a bit of time there.

Each month, there is a 'Fish of the Month'. Horrendous practice because they get these somewhat exotic fish in but have no information for the customers. Last month was what they called a Blue Dragon Goby, which actually was a Violet Goby. People snatched them up like crazy because they are weird looking but I'm sure the vast majority are dead or dying because no one had a clue how to look after them. I passed on what I could to who I could. Very sad.

This month's fish is a Pearscale Goldfish. I cringed when I saw the sign because the goldfish are already advertised and sold under completely misleading circumstances ... i.e. bowls/small tanks/beginner fish. You know the drill. I'm looking for any extra info that Pearlscale enthusiasts might be able to pass on? I already inform customers on min tank size, water quality, feeding etc... but anything else would be great for my information sheet.

Thanks!

Tammy, there is a "breed of the month" here on the site. (I will try and locate that forum and link it).

I am sure you will find all the info you need. Ranchugirl does the articles, they are taken from various sources.

But all in all their needs are pretty much like any other fancy. They are of the slower moving gf and have a predisposition to SBD but their needs are pretty much the same.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...p?showforum=124

In this forum at the top is pinned the "common". We use to have the others as well. Something new that I wasn't aware had happened. (I spend to much time in D and D....LOL, I need to get out more).

Anyway I am sure if you look thru there, pearlies will be mentioned sometime.

Good luck on your endeavor, it is so nice of you to try and inform customers.

Guest Juliosmom

Thanks much! Great information and the picture with the Pearlscales and the golfballs was priceless! I had no clue about their scales growing back as 'regular' if the originals were lost. I have a sinking feeling that these guys will be very popular :(

I have pinned all the goldfish of the month articles now - that way its easier to find. I think I still have a few to write, though, didn't see all the breeds there yet. :rolleyes:

Tammy, or local small pet store got a delivery in of probably 30 pearlscales, and they were just sitting there for almost 2 weeks with nobody buying any. While I watched, a lot of people just thought they were weird looking, and didn't believe at first that they were actually goldfish. I think people are willing to learn if somebody just takes the time and explains things to them in a non critical way. Hopefully your buyers want to be successful in keeping those little guys and will listen to your advice. Good luck! :thumbs:

Guest Brock

In the UK, the new Animal Welfare Bill prevents a shop selling an animal to someone if they're aren't convinced that the creature is going to be properly looked after.

However, I'm pretty sure that they don't enforce it.

It's the same Bill that has outlawed the selling of goldfish at funfairs.

well, all i can say is try your best at informing people the proper requirements of these fish.

I had no clue about their scales growing back as 'regular' if the originals were lost.

Not always though. Putter, my pearlscale has lost a few scales and they have all come back as pearlscales.

Guest Melby1980

I worked for a popular petstore chain (that shall remain unnamed) for a while and one of their policies was that if a person came in to buy a large variety of fish we weren't allowed to sell them due to "fun fairs" and betta bowl wedding favors. I thought this was a commendable policy.

Last month was what they called a Blue Dragon Goby, which actually was a Violet Goby. People snatched them up like crazy because they are weird looking but I'm sure the vast majority are dead or dying because no one had a clue how to look after them. I passed on what I could to who I could. Very sad.

I have never seen Violet Gobies being sold as such; it's always "Prehistoric Dragon Goby" or something equally rediculous (Senegal Bichirs get names like "Dinosaur Eel"). 9_9 It's so dumb, the way pet stores hype certain animals to get people to buy them.

I actually really, really want to get a Violet Goby someday. They've totally got that "so ugly they're cute" thing going on, and just beg to be put in a tank with a castle theme. XD :heart *off to do some inspired research now*

S&BMeg, off topic maybe but I have to say that albino moor in your sig is absolutely gorgeous, any chance of some more (no pun intended) pics of him if he is still with you? So unusual and pretty :heart

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Juliosmom

Sigh. Of the 6 we got in, two died within a week. I couldn't tell what was wrong :cry1 One I'm not sure where it went and two went to a bowl/small 2 gallon aquarium despite my best efforts. Buddy said his 'goldfish do just fine in jars over the winter. All I do is feed 'em'. Couldn't really clobber him in the store so I had to shrug. One was still in his tank on Tuesday but his tail was drooping and his anal fins were clamped so I'm not holding out much hope he'll be there tonight. I'm getting my 35 gallon on Saturday and have been thinking about bringing him home. I have nowhere to QT him until then either. Well, maybe someone with a big ole tank bought him and he's doing well. I can always hope, right?

Unfortunately, you sometimes can't tell in what conditions they are kept at the breeder's place. Most of the commercial fish farms aren't parasite free to begin with, so what you get from him is compromised before it even enters the store's tanks. All you can do is try your best - that is all anybody can do. That and educate people. :thumbs:

There is a reason I could never work at a pet store, or animal shelter - I would always bring home rescues. :rolleyes:

I hope the remaining little fellow finds a new home... maybe with you....

Not trying to highjack this thread, I swear! Just don't want to be super-rude.

S&BMeg, off topic maybe but I have to say that albino moor in your sig is absolutely gorgeous, any chance of some more (no pun intended) pics of him if he is still with you? So unusual and pretty :heart

I'm so sorry for taking so long to reply to this! I got distracted by things and thought that I had, so I totally spaced it! :wa

Yeah, she's still with me. :) Although she's down one eye (gravel vaccuum accident) (although it doesn't really matter since she was already blind before it happened.) I'm a bit limited as to what pictures I have on hand, but I'll definitely try to whip a thread together in the photos forum. :)

Again, sorry for the negligence, and sorry for the off-topic.

• 2 months later...
Guest Halloween

I know the store. I save those "fish of the month" (when they are goldfish). I save the Bettas too.

It's how my loving Bubbles came to me :)

And 6 other fish.

Archived