Powerheads

lepirin

I'm tired of the bubbles in my tank, and I want to switch from my air pumps to powerheads to aerate, but I know almost nothing about them.

My understanding is basically it is a water pump that you stick inside the tank, and you adjust the flow of the output across the surface of the tank, in order to create a surface disturbance?

Which brands are good brands? I've been really happy with my marineland penguin filters, as well as the stealth visi-therm heaters that I got... they seem like they've made quality products, so I was thinking about getting powerheads that they make.

I need to aerate a 40 gallon tank that has a surface area that is 36x12 inches. How many gph should the powerhead pump in order to create significant surface disturbance?

There are sooooo many available. I have a couple of ones that I particularly like - because they are so versatile and cheap. I currently have them plumbed into fry tanks - one is running a sponge filter (stuck into the uplift tube of the sponge) and one is running a hose from a sponge up through a HOB filter box full of media.

They also are wonderful surface agitators.....

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...powerhead106gph

I got the $12 ones. I am pleased with them. They have a small port in the outlet that allows air bubbles to be incorportated for agitation onto the surface through venturi action - you can use it or not.

I stick the power head straight down into that tube that is sticking up. It will suck up the water through the sponge and squirt it where you want it to. I have one pumping water just up through a sponge and back into the tank in one tank. Another, I took the little fan shaped piece off the front of the outlet, shoved a piece of flexible tubing (hardware store) onto it and ran the tubing up and into an old HOB filter box that is stuffed with media . I used some teflon tape to make it tighter in this particular application, but it is not necessary - it sits well.

post-27-1172856078_thumb.jpg

I have it on bigger sponges - the size V that you have shown - for just sponge filtration. But in the tank with the 4 week old fry, I needed more biological filtration so I plumbed it up the the old filter box. (I did not have an old filter that worked, and wanted to use the nicely seasoned sponge for still MORE biological filtration anyway.

:)

post-27-1172856189_thumb.jpg

No idea, just wanted to say hi! :hi

*waves* Hi!

There are sooooo many available. I have a couple of ones that I particularly like - because they are so versatile and cheap. I currently have them plumbed into fry tanks - one is running a sponge filter (stuck into the uplift tube of the sponge) and one is running a hose from a sponge up through a HOB filter box full of media.

They also are wonderful surface agitators.....

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...powerhead106gph

I got the $12 ones. I am pleased with them. They have a small port in the outlet that allows air bubbles to be incorportated for agitation onto the surface through venturi action - you can use it or not.

Then they will be the ones I purchase. Anything that gets the Daryl stamp of approval is a wise purchase.

I love your ingenuity when it comes to rigging up your equipment to do what you want and need it to do. Gives us all something to aspire to :P

Archived