Water

Dhlusak

Hmm, quite the story telling mood this week.

So I got my new 30 gallon breeder and stand, and ran into the roadblock of balancing out the older stand. Thank you again, daryl, and imtammyo for helping out in balancing it! So as soon as it's balanced, I'm excited to get water going and a filter running in it. It's snowing outside like MAD, and my car would likely get stuck, so I've got nothing else to work on.

... but it seems the gods had other things in mind for me.

It became time to fill 5 gallon buckets and pace back and forth. As I had already done with the sink, the little "spray nozzle attachment thingie" works ideally for filling them, but it is time consuming... so I do what anyone would do: Put a rubber band around the trigger, and put the hose in the bucket, go work on something else.

This worked for countless buckets of water in the past, but as life goes sometimes, inanimate objects develop a hatred for you so deep that it causes them to act against you. That, or spraying water is a way of pushing a light hose out of a bucket.

Anyhow, I hear the hose has come out, which means... that nozzle is spraying water ALL over my kitchen now! "Oh noes!" I exclaimed, as I quickly sprinted towards the kitchen sink.

Problem.

Maliciously placed Water, plus linoleum floor, plus running guy not thinking clearly, all results in 12 stitches.

So I hit the puddle of water as I was darting for the sink. Slid onto my back, and my foot went right into the cabinet. I'll spare the gruesome details, but that water wasn't clear anymore, and instead, now it was appropriately colored to signal "STOP! You moron, there's water spraying here."

:whatjust:

I think it's time to consider a python. ... or some non-slip mats. Just know, the next time you hear water hitting the floor, it's also a warning. Heh.

OMG thats aweful!! Ive had water overflow my sink before but have never fallen! You should definitely invest in a gravel vac. Helps so much to take water out of and add back to the tank. ;)

Lol! I guess that's why they make stop signs that colour then eh? -It really catches your attention... after it's too late by the sounds of it! :D

Sorry shouldn't poke fun at your misery, but lets just say I've had similar experiences during my time as a water manager... :rolleyes: -It'll give you a funny story to tell to people who ask you about your scar in future! ;)

Guest MidnightClyde
Put a rubber band around the trigger, and put the hose in the bucket, go work on something else.

It's funny to hear about your bucket stories. At this point, I do the same thing....only with a freakin 55!. I've been good about changing 50% of the water per week.... but good gracious it's painful.

One thing I do is unscrew the 'spray nozzle' thingie (Edit: and by unscrew I mean take it off. When you do that, it'll just be like a small hose pipe). It puts out more water that way and you don't necessarily have to stand there and hold it. Try that.

I, too, have done that "rubber band" trick - and let the stupid thing run all over the floor.... :rolleyes:

I was lucky enough not to fall, though - every time I fall I break something! All I got was a VERY clean floor when I was done cleaning up!

I am sorry you are hurt - I hope you have good insurance.

I installed a special hose that is plumbed under the sink - 1/2 in line - that I can pull out - turn on the valve and stick it in a bottle/bucket. It all gets shoved back under the sink when I am done and no one can tell the degree of my water/fish obsession just by looking! ;)

Now - you need to keep that cut DRY! (no more water on the floor!) :)

Guest Juliosmom

Zoiks!! I broke an ankle two years ago on ice and I live in terror of wet floors and icy sidewalks! I'm loving Daryl's hose thingy under the sink ..... I feel like a bucket has become a permanent part of my arm/hand these days! :blink:

Heh, It's all okay; I'm definitely enjoying the day off! I used the stitches as an excuse to not be able to shovel myself out this morning.

I love the hose idea! For now, I'm just not walking away from the thing. Obviously, with the stitches having to remain dry, I'm being ultra-cautious about any water anywhere.

Is it bad if I develop hydrophobia, and have 5 tanks at this point? ;)

Archived