Another Water Change Question

Kissy

I'm planning on getting two 2.5 gallon mini bows to house each of my bettas when I move into my dorm in several months, and I am toying with the idea of using ammonia chips (like zeo-lite) in the filter instead of any biological media, so there is no nitrogen cycle involved. If I were to do this, how often and how much of the water should I change? Also, has anyone tried this before? I've never used ammonia chips before so I want to make sure they will really work because I'd hate to have to cycle the tanks with the fish in it. I've heard a lot of controversy over small tanks like this and how stable their cycle is. Any comments on that?

I have a 2.5 that I have had several different fish in, and I haven't had a problem at any time keeping the cycle going. I had a problem with my 5 gallon crashing, ironically enough.

That sounds good. however you have to keep in mind with the amonia chips that is if your betta becomes ill you can not use salt in conjunction with amonia chips. The salt will let the amonia the amonia chips collected, leach back out in the water. I have two 2.5 mini bows with bettas in them. I was using the carbon in the filter in my minibows untll recently and decided to just put the plain bag ( floss) in there. I like to use indian almond leaves with my betta and carbon tends to suck it back out of the water.

yup they are. And I use the same filter frame that should have to good biobugs on it already

Sorry...what do you mean? Do you mean you don't change the filter cartridge?

yes I do. I have the whisper filter that came with my 2.5 gallon minibows. Well it has the filter frame and the floss bag that you pour the activated charcoal chips in and then attach to the frame and clip it on and insert in the filter. I just put the frame with tha bag attached in the filter now . I just leave out t he activated charcoal

Oh I see, it sounds exactly like my first filter. Is there room in the whisper filter to stuff some biomax?

I went to nnnnnn yesterday, and I couldn't find their fish section!!! It was one of those big superwalmarts and I was pressed for time, so I walked along the walls and looked at the hanging signs. There wasn't a hint of a pet section, let alone the fish wall that I remember from about 6 years ago. It's right next to the vvvv, so maybe they took it down from lack of business/complaints. Don't all walmarts have pet/fish sections though?

yup there is plent room for filter media. I have been to several super Wally worlds near me and they all have pet and fish sections. A couple of them are near or next to vvvv or petcos. Each Wally world has it located in different spots. One I go to it is by lawn and garden and toys. Another one I go to it is by the cosmetics and clearance isle. you just may have to look around. I think as far as selection of filter media they are rather limited. I think I would check out my local lfs or vvvv for that

I will tell you a secret. Wally world has the 2.50 minibows for $25 . that is the cheapest I have seen them . they have the 5 gallon minibow for $35 , which is still pretty cheap

Archived