Gah! So Sick Of Cycling!

I don't really need any advice, just wanted to vent lol.

I feel like I've been dealing with tank cycling forever. It's my own darned fault, as I've done lots of silly things that have drug all of this out.

First off, I wound up with disease, and medicated, which killed the bacteria I'd developed. Then I had too much media in my filter, and a plant partially blocking the intake, so I wasn't getting enough flow to cycle properly. Then things were still dragging along, as I was understocked, so I added a second fish, which sent things sailing smoothly. Then I saw Gilbert, fell in love, and brought him home and added him to the tank, even though I was still in the tail end of my cycle. This of course has just prolonged things.

For the past week, I've been sitting in that last hump, with trace ammonia (just under 0.25), fairly high nitrites (1.0-1.5), and good nitrates (10). This despite me changing out 50% of the water every second day. I just did a 50% change yesterday, and today you can't even tell - the numbers haven't budged.

I've got Prime, which I'm using, so my fish are doing well, and not showing any stress (unless you count their anxiety over the fact that I haven't fed them yet today! :rofl ), so everything's okay, I'm just tired of testing and changing water!

Someone tell me this will all be over soon! :krazy:

:D I know how you feel! When I first started out cycling was horrid! Now I just stick media from an established filter into my new filter and its cycled in hours.

Hang in there! Looks like youre doing a great job. You might want to try to change water everyday though if possible, those nitrites can be very deadly at such high amounts. :)

Every time I have had a cycling problem in a tank with fish that requires daily (or twice daily) water changes I feel the same way. :krazy:

It always seems, though, that just when I have reached the end of my patience and am about ready to drop off the end of my rope and totally LOSE it, the tank cycles. :bingo:

Take a deeeeep breath. It will happen. Really it will. Honestly. Any time now. Really.....

:hug

I have felt your pain!

I was doing 40-60% water changes EVERY DAY for 36 days.

But you know what? Now I feel like my tank is soooooo gloriously easy to take care of. It practically runs itself! I just do a 2 gallon gravel vac twice a week (29g tank), and that's just because I don't like poop. The paramaters are perfect. My tank runs itself.

I'd like to have avoided the whole thing, of course, but my appreciation for bacteria is through the roof.

thanks for the encouragement. I know I'm *almost* there, but it sure feels stuck!!!

On Friday I did a BIG water change, since I work weekends and knew I wouldn't have time to muck with things again until today (Monday). I changed out almost all the water, leaving just enough for the fishies to swim in, but being careful not to disturb the filters, plants, etc, as I didn't want to disrupt the bacteria.

I just tested my water, and I'm still sitting in pretty much the same spot. pH 7.0, ammonia 0, nitrites 1.0, nitrates 10. I'll admit I was surprised, I figured for sure the nitrites and nitrates would be down.

All the fishies still look good, no stress. Gilbert seemed a bit off last night, opening and closing his mouth more than usual, but I think that was because they didn't get fed as much/often over the weekend, since I wasn't home :rolleyes: I threw some extra Prime in there, just in case it was stress from high nitrites, and he's been fine (although still cruising for food).

Last time my tank got "stuck" like this, I did smaller, more frequent water changes (one bucket changed out every day) which seemed to kick things back into gear. I think I'll try that again.

Lordy I'll be glad when this tank is cycled!!!

Archived