This Happened At My Mom's School Today

Maceo

Eugh, not nice and quite scary. Luckily it turned out okay.

Here in Japan there are so many of these incidents of men with knives going into playgrounds including many cases of fatality that all schools lock their gates now after school begins. It's sad really to think it has come to that. Parents visiting have to wear special ID badges too.

After these kind of things security is usually tightened up. Poor girl though, she must be badly shaken by that.

It is so lucky that she had the presence of mind to just start screaming like she did, my mom said the girl was a wreck, understandably so. The sad thing is the media called the school wanting an interview with the poor girl!! Of course the school said no way, and aren't releasing her name, the media is so uncouth. Getting the kids on playgrounds? That is very sad and very scary. Something really needs to be done everywhere to beef up school security and that in its self is sad. My mom said being in lockdown and not knowing why was very nerve racking, she didn't know if it was gunmen, a bad fight, or what and she said it was so hard to get the kids to understand it was serious with out scaring them to death. I am so glad I am not a teacher that is for sure, teachers are a great blessing and don't get nearly enough recognition for what they do.

Trinket, all the schools I've been to (except my highschool) have gates and visitors need to go get a visitor's pass/sticker in order to come on campus. However, it really wouldn't be hard at all to fake a parent or hop a fence, etc.

Violence has gotten worse around my area too, and we live in a relatively quiet neighborhood.

A couple weeks ago, a girl from my highschool got off the school bus on the way home. She and her mom were stabbed by her exboyfriend who she broke up with 2 days earlier. Then he started cutting himself. The whole bus of kids saw, so an ambulance was called immediately and they are all okay now. Scary.

Man that was a close call.

I am glad that it turned out ok, to think of what could've happened. It sends chills down my spine.

omg! how terrible! a guy at my school was shot in the head outside my school, just the day before last.

He is on life support and now we have teachers and police searching everyone (including students) everyone for weapons. scary

Wow, that would be really scary.

We've got Code Blue sirens that sound at my school when a dangerous/unauthorized person or animal is roaming the school (which isn't effective since almost all the doors are left unlocked and sometimes propped open).

And we have police officers that constantly patrol my school inside and out. Having the police around makes me really nervous. But they're there for a reason. (Ya gotta love the druggies. Not.)

I've got a question.

If there is a real or practice lockdown (what we do when there is some one with an unauthorized weapon on campus), we take all our stuff and hide in a corner of our classroom out of view of the door window. Then we stick a little green card under the door to say we are all okay....and to let the crazed lunatic with the gun know there is a class full of kids in that classroom. Does this seem impractical or what? What do other schools do?

I've got a question.

If there is a real or practice lockdown (what we do when there is some one with an unauthorized weapon on campus), we take all our stuff and hide in a corner of our classroom out of view of the door window. Then we stick a little green card under the door to say we are all okay....and to let the crazed lunatic with the gun know there is a class full of kids in that classroom. Does this seem impractical or what? What do other schools do?

You put a card under the door? Why can't the office call each classroom to check? That would take forever, but is less obvious to people in the hall.

In my school we all huddle in a corner, too. We're supposed to be quiet, but we talk anyways and we pretty much stay like that until they give the "all-clear" over the PA.

[We've only had 2 incidents that required a Code Blue. 1) some kid had a gun/knife or drugs (can't remember) and 2) someone's dog got in through an opened door.

They never found the stuff the kid supposedly had and the siren scared the dog off.]

Lol at the dog! We've actually had a lot of dogs wonder on campus, even inside the buildings. Kids don't bring them here, they usually just follow them in and no one objects. All the ones I've heard about where nice and where so excited to be in a building full of kids that wanted to pet them haha. We aren't supposed to avoid the animals/dogs and wait for security to take them away (to the pound :( ) but not one really listens if the puppy is asking for attention.

Not a lot of dogs come on campus, but when one one does all the teachers freak out. And none of the dogs are dangerous. We don't live in a bad city or neighborhood, so I can't see what the big deal is.

Kissy that is exactly how they do lockdown at my mom's school with the green card and everything. The cards seem like it would tell them where the people are but I wonder how else they could let the police and staff know everyone in that classroom was ok.

wow. All I can say is, I'm glad no one got hurt.

When we have a lock down at our school, what we have to do is get all our things and get in the corner, or in a back room, where we are out of sight. We also have 2 police officers in the school at all times.

Our school is in a good city, with very little crime, but there is one problem. Our school takes in kids from the 'ghetto' parts of milwalkee. I really wish they would not do this. There are always drug deals, fights, even bomb threats. About 95% of the time, these problems are from kids that are from milwalkee. Now I'm not saying everyone who comes to my school from those areas are bad. It just seems like most of them are. I also dont really like how they disrupt class all the time too. My science class has a bunch of these 'milwalkee kids' and we are so far behind because all they do is talk... even though the teacher will yell at them and sent them to the office. I wouldnt mind it too much, but they dont know when to shut up all hour long "oh shizzle..."(one of the many stupid things they say). Also, In about 5 minutes of time, over 800 kids have to go through 3 doors to get to lunch. (half the school) well, these 'milwalkee kids' like to hang out by these doors, and block the way. well, the teachers tell them to move, but they dont. One day i was pushing through them and i steped on one of their brand new 'kicks'(what they call shoes) and the one guy gets angry at me, started yelling at me(i couldn' understand what he was saying). I just simply told him to stop blocking the *insert bad word here* doorway and it wont happen again. then i walked away.

sorry about the long rant, but these kind of things really annoy me.

I can understand that being extremely annoying FP. I wish that teachers generally governed more respect so that when they ordered those loopers out the doorway they would actually move! It must be hard drawing the line between accepting kids that have nowhere else to go to school and being a dumping ground for one and all. It's a shame that teachers have to deal with so much people politics that they can't get on with the teaching part of their job.

Thanks Kissy -I'm a bit out of the loop with schools in the US these days. Interesting to hear about the green card idea. There's a martial arts defence program here for teachers carried out in some areas..but its not much use where there are guns involved I suppose. I always tell my kids the best defence is to run and in a playground area to zigzag run. Most teens can outrun a person in their thirties or over. Curious-Are you guys allowed to take your cell phones to school?

In my school, we're allowed to take them, but they have to be turned off and put away. If a teacher sees them, they're supposed to take it a away and you can't get it back until a parent/guardian comes in to get it for you. Not all teachers take them. Some give you the three strikes deal. :)

Archived