Thud!

Dhlusak

So I was lying in bed with my laptop last night checking my work email from home, as we had a winter storm coming in, and work tends to be hectic following these. (Minnesota) While I was lying there peacefully milling over things with my 29 gallon to my left, in the dead of silence, I hear a huge *THUD* come from my tank. :o

"whawhawhaaaa?" I said to myself. I looked over at my tank inquisitively, immediately worried things may be falling apart. Nothing looked unusual. Gizmo, the blackmoor, was just being himself, sitting in the bubbles from the bubble wand, sucking on rocks, wondering why the bubbles keep lifting the ###### end of his body up. Donna, the spaz fantail, was bolting down the side of the tank, just to swim straight back up, then straight back down. I continued watching them for a while, laughing, as I witnessed a repeat occurrence of what had happened.

Donna darted back up in the center of the tank... and jumped right into the hood. Now, this wasnt a little jump. It was enough to budge the hinged portion of the hood about 1/2" up... she just casually swam back down, and seemingly looked around to figure out wtf happened.

:lol1:lol1

Just thought I would share that one. :-)

The 'burbs. I have lived in the north or west metro for a majority of my life. Maple Grove now. I love it here!

How long ago did you live Minnesota, and you left? WHY!?

... mind you, I havent driven home yet, and there are a nice fresh 6+ inches of snow outside now for rushhour.

I moved from there about 2 1/2 years ago as I met someone out here in NY. :rolleyes: Too me this long to talk him into going back with me! I lived near Rochester. Maple Grove is nice. Be careful driving home, that stuff can be dangerous!

I'm originally from the U.P. - y'all don't know what snow is! :D Now I live in Wisconsin and it's scary how bad people are at winter driving.

MN doesnt get snow like they use to! I remember when I was a kid playing in it. Maybe now it's getting closer to that though by the sound of it. We dont get crap for snow here by the city... I kinda miss it! :D

I'm originally from the U.P. - y'all don't know what snow is! :D Now I live in Wisconsin and it's scary how bad people are at winter driving.

Eeek! A Yooper! :yikes Haha, just kidding :D I'm glad we've had a relatively mild winter...although if you just looked at the past few weeks ya wouldn't know it.

hey, sorry to interupt your geographical conversation, but just wanting to ask, does your fantail do that regularly? like try to jump out? have you checked your water parameters recently? Just asking coz sometimes when fis try to jump it's because something is amiss with the water... not trying to be a killjoy or anything, but that bump musta given your goldie a fair whack!

Yeah, actually considered that at the time :)

When it occurred, I tested the water the next morning: 10 nitrates, 0 / 0 ammonia / nitrite. PH the normal 7.5ish, dont recall exactly what it was then. She hasn't done it since.

That's why I'm now a believer that a "hood in the face" is a good training method for any animal, and why I will test it on my roommate this week when he fails to do the dishes ;)

MN is actually really dry this year; we have had 2 large snowfalls, and that's it. We're still pretty well under par. oh... and wait til you see my next story: A 5 gallon bucket kicks my a**.

YOu are getting the snow yesterday and today, though, I wager. The winds are bringing it in in DRIFTS! :) That "thud" had better NOT be the stock market falling any more! I have a good deal invested and I am not feeling like throwing myself off of any buildings in the near future! :rolleyes:

I would also suggest that you check for parasites. That type of behavior can sometimes be classed under "flashing".....

A nice cozy 4 foot drift right outside my front door!

... and here I thought flashing was something commonly occurring at mardi gras! Kidding; I'm going to go back to a salt regimen for them. Cant hurt. Donna, the culprit, has always been rather spaztic, though, so it really isn't uncharacteristic for her.

Archived