Do Fish Get A Little Lopsided Before Eggs?

Guest under water tea party

i have a ryukin and a fantail that ive had for about 6 months and i thought i while ago i saw tubercles on the ryukin but im not sure. the fish are 2.5-3 inches long minus tails. anyway i just noticed this morning the fantail is a little bit poochy in the right side, still swimming ok, and pooping, and piggy as ever. anybody have pics of a preggo fish?

I don't have any pics, but yes, gravid females tend to get a little swollen on one side, -the scales should still be flush with the body (if they're sticking out like pinecone, even if it's only on one side, that is more indicative of disease, and will probably progress to pineconing on the otherside eventually...) hope this helps... :D

thanks! no protruding scales but the ryukin could care less. and shes? starting to swim a little sloppy. shouldnt he be poking at her if shes gravid? and is one particular side always swollen or could it be either? :goldfish: i dont have a hospital tank, even though it might be a little early to be thinking about that, but if anyone is going to suggest quarentine, no can do.

i tried to get a good shot but since the bulge is only noticeable from above and then only when shes swimming flatly. when they see my face above them they just start begging like baby birds. :feedme so how long does the bulge usually last? or how long till i assume shes eggbound?

if you notice any weird behavior i would think shes got something wrong with her. theres no cure for eggbound they simply have to resorb the eggs. this could take 2 weeks or more. just keep an eye out for her just in case she starts showing scales pertruding.

Archived