"taste Of Chaos" Concert Tonight,

vmlola

As many of you have noticed I am a big fan of concerts and really enjoy going to see bands that I like. Last week I saw Elton John , which was amazing and wonderful, and on March 19th we are going to see "Evanescense" , who I really enjoy listening to, and tonight is the "Taste Of Chaos" concert, which will have 7 or 8 different bands playing. Any other time I would be so excited about this, but I am having a hard time right now as my pug "Ally" has been hospitalized since Tuesday morning. She is my four legged soul mate and I feel like my heart is breaking right now. :cry1

Ally has had Addisons Disease for three years now and last week she started to show some symtoms that were a little suspicious. Well, after some IV therapy and numerous test, it has been found that "Ally" has developed diabetes on top of her Addison's. So she has been hopitalized to see if we can get her blood sugars down and ketones out of her urine. I went to see her last night and she was so happy to see me, but she thought I was taking her home. She will not eat for them, so they asked me to try to get her to eat. She ate the entire portion of food that they gave me, from my fingers of course. She is just a little spoiled, and enjoys eating from a spoon, but I don't think they tried that. :) And of course they want her to eat "Dog Food" which Ally has thought to be poison since her Addison's DX. Rachel (rwersted) if you see this thread, I'm sorry I have not told you this was going on, but I find it hard to talk about. Addison's Disease is hard enough, throw diabetes on top of that and things are even harder to control.

So, this is why I am having a hard time getting into the concert mood. If I were not taking five other people, I would just skip it, but other then the short visits, there is not much I can do right now for Ally.

Awe you poor thing. I too wouldn't be wanting to go either. Poor Ally, but I am sure she is in good hands. Can you visit her and then go? It may help you take you mind off of things a bit. I know at the clinics I worked at we encouraged daily visits. It boosts their spirits as well as their immune system, even if they think you are taking them home.

And since you can't be there all night with her, a break may do you some good.

Addisons is a heavy disease to deal with and now being a diabetic. I am sure you are feeling overwhelmed. Has the vet sat down with you and explained things? Maybe this would help you.

Anytime our babies are hurting we hurt for them, give Ally a big hug when you see her. :hug

:heart Thanks Laurie! This is probably one of the worse times I have had with one of my dogs. When I loss Jordan, my Bulldog, a few months ago it was very hard, but also very fast as she was fine one day and gone the next with no visible health concerns. And has much as I loved Jordan, Ally has had my heart for many years now, and the Addisons bonded us all the more closer as its a daily routine to keep her healthy. She has been symtom free of the Addisons now for three years as I made sure her meds were always given and she was never late for her Percorten injection every 28 days. I will go down to feed her this afternoon and love on her for a while. I know its good for her, as I could see it on her face last night. And then on my way to the concert I will visit for a few minutes and tell her "Goodnight"!

Ah yes, I so understand when one has your heart. I too have 3 dogs and while I love them all deeply and when do anything for them, my shepherd is my "child". She is my everything, the one you know will never be replaced or come close to having again. She is 10yrs old and has a couple life threatening diseases. So we balance her condition, you are right it bonds you together.

Have fun visiting her and then your concert. Keep me updated on her condition. If there is anything I can help you understand with her diseases let me know, I have been a vet tech for 15 yrs.

Oh darl', I'm so sorry to hear about your baby's problem :ill , I know it's tough to try and go out and have a good time when someone close to you is so sick. It's good to do it though, for you, to get your mind of Ally, even if it's only a couple of hours.

When Dave and I were living in the UK and Dave was stuck in the flat we were living being terribly ill on chemo, he pretty much forced me out of the front door and told me to go to Brighton, or London and have a 'good time', so I'd go travelling for the day, and although I felt terrible about doing it, it was good to focus on something less intense as the home situation, I really feel that it gave me the mental break I needed to return and deal with the situation.

When you're out there at the concert, try not to think too much about Ally, it's only for a couple of hours, and it's probably time that you wouldn't be spending with her anyway, it's better than sitting at home stressing out about her illness.

Bug hugs from australia, girl! Hope things work out for you and your baby.

:( That's so sad Lola. I hope Ally gets better and can come home soon. I agree, the concert would be good for you right now. Get your mind off things and try to have fun. Ally will be waiting for you to visit tomorrow. :heart

Bug hugs from australia, girl! Hope things work out for you and your baby.

Thank you so much! I can always count on the friends I have made here to help me feel better! I did go to see Ally for about 30 min and it was wonderful. I planted myself on the floor and let her give me the biggest "Doggie Bath" that you have ever seen. She was so happy to see me and I felt good knowing that she knew I hadn't forgotten her. The techs kept commenting that "too bad she didn't show any love"! lol! She was going crazy with the kisses. So I told them I would not be back today but would visit tomorrow at the same time and then tomorrow night. I miss her so much.

Thanks for your wonderful thoughts and wishes! I know how hard this is, I can not imagine what you felt when your husband was going through his health problems. I am so glad everything worked out well for him.

I agree, the concert would be good for you right now. Get your mind off things and try to have fun. Ally will be waiting for you to visit tomorrow.

Thanks Erin! Yeah it will be good to go to the concert and now that I have gone to see Ally today I feel a little better. She has a face that is so full of different expressions, I could tell she is feeling a little better and was very happy to see me.

Have fun visiting her and then your concert. Keep me updated on her condition. If there is anything I can help you understand with her diseases let me know, I have been a vet tech for 15 yrs.

Thanks again Laurie! I saw Ally and she was a handful! She just knew I was there to bust her out of that cage. LOL! Shes looking better, they are getting her blood sugars down but still are having a hard time with the ketones in her urine, but they said shes doing as well as any other dog that comes in with the same problem. They are hoping she will be able to come home by Sat! I hope so.

So its off to the concert and hopefully a good time.

I went to the concert and it was amazing! :) We had a really good time but it was quite long for someone that gets up each morning at 4 am and I think I walked into my house at Midnight after the concert. So needless to say, My butt is dragging this morning as 4 am was like a bad, bad dream when the alarm went off. :cry1 But it did take my mind off of Ally a little bit, and was quite relaxing. I did loose my son, Ian, at one point, he was swept away in the Mosh Pit. Lucky he is tall so I was able to catch up with him at some point. :rofl

I did check my voice mail when I got home as the vet said she would leave a message concerning Ally. She said she was doing good, they were getting her blood sugars down with less insulin then the day before. So I'm going down to visit her at lunch time and then again tonight. I can't wait to get her home, I'm hoping maybe this weekend, thats if they can get the ketones out of her urine.

So, I guess I will spend the day fighting the urge to go to sleep, maybe I'll paint eyeball on my eyelids so it looks like I'm awake, nawwwwww, probably won't work!!!!!! :rofl

Aww VM,I know how you are missing your sweet Ally terribly :hug .

She must be getting used to your visits and knowing you will come by regularly and see her. As Laurie says seeing you will boost her immunity. It's great that her blood sugars are coming down -you couldn't do this without the Vet's help and I am hoping that she will be home with you very very soon. I know how you are feeling now and also the dilemma of enjoying yourself when a loved one is sick but as Mads said to clear your head of the worry for a bit was good for you both. Hopefully she will be home again with you this weekend. It won't be long..try and get some rest! Sending you love and warm wishes over the continents :heart

:) Some wonderful news today!!! After being hospitalized since Tuesday, Ally gets to come home tonight! Her Dr. just called to tell me. Yayyyyyy! I can go down at 6 pm and they will show me how to do the insulin shots, which she will get twice a day! I'm so excited!!! I have been going to see her twice a day and its so hard to leave her each time. She has been quite the spoiled little lady since being with them. She would not eat, so I had to bring her down some things that I knew she would eat, approved by her Dr of course. And then she had to have her meals warmed in the microwave, of course! :rofl Then they had me giving her pills to her as they could not give them to her and keep them down. So I'm sure they are just as happy to see her leave as I am to see her come home. :rofl

She needs a bath real bad, not sure that will happen tonight as it will be late by the time we get home. I'll let you know how it all goes with the homecoming.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement! :heart

That is fabulous news!! I bet you and her will both be so happy to have her home. I love those appts, where a pet has been hospitalized and then reunits with the owner, they are so sweet.

I am also glad you had a good time at the concert!

:) I pick Ally up last night and we were both very happy to be at home by 730pm. She walked into the house like she had not been gone for almost a week and after greeting everyone she took place on her throne, the back of the sofa, and looked at everyone with that look only Ally can give :heart . But it was short lived as Ian had to bath her as she smelled preatty bad. :rofl

Learning to give the insulin injections was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I only had to try it once at the Vet's office last night and then this morning was the first one I had to do alone, as no other adult was here to hold her, but Ally just sat there and I gave it to her. So that part, which was kind of bothering me, is really easy.

The hard part is having to tell those big brown eyes "NO", when she is begging for a "Taste" of what everyone is having. Thats going to take some major training for all involved, and believe me, Ally involved everyone.

So, I guess the future will be taken one day at a time to see how these two diseases will go together.

Ally says "Thank You for all the support and Hugs!

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Awe she looks so sweet. Her diseases are intense right now aren't they? Poor baby, it is hard to see them all out of whack. But she is on the right track now.

Glad you got the hang of the injections, they are pretty easy once you get use to it.

Did he say what "treats" she can have? If not, quiz him there should be some things you can give her. Then just keep a supply around and when you are eating give her them.

Look at that sweet face! So happy she is home at last VM. She looks so content sat there and must be all relaxed inside again now. You have been a great and loyal owner and added a new trick to your impressive arsenal of animal carer tricks (insulin injections) :D .

I agree, the concert would be good for you right now. Get your mind off things and try to have fun. Ally will be waiting for you to visit tomorrow.

Thanks Erin! Yeah it will be good to go to the concert and now that I have gone to see Ally today I feel a little better. She has a face that is so full of different expressions, I could tell she is feeling a little better and was very happy to see me.

:D i hope ally gets better real soon.

=D i love evanescence, i went to see them when they were in brisbane, they were so good and i'm a HUGE fan of theirs

Lola,

I just read the first post and I was sad for you and concerned for Ally.

I'm so pleased she is doing better and home now.

Give her lots of love.

:rolleyes:

Awwww she looks so cute! I'm so glad she's home Lorraine! Give her a hug for me

Thanks Kat, I give her lots of hugs, so I will let her know ones from you.

Look at that sweet face!

Thank Imogen, she does have one of those faces only a mother can love!

i hope ally gets better real soon.

=D i love evanescence, i went to see them when they were in brisbane, they were so good and i'm a HUGE fan of theirs

Thanks Trop, Ally is acting like she feels a bit better, so thats encouraging. And I also love Evanescence and can't wait to see them.

Lola,

I just read the first post and I was sad for you and concerned for Ally.

I'm so pleased she is doing better and home now.

Give her lots of love.

Thanks Daniel! That means alot! It is so wonderful having her back home. Its alot of work having the diabetes on top of her Addison's, but I don't mind if it means keeping her healthy and happy and a part of my family for as long as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived