How Long Can They Go Without Food? (vacation)

FishFace

How long has this tank been established? Do you keep live plants in there?

I personally wouldn't be thrilled at leaving them a week without food,but if it was a choice between that and one of those "Automatic" feeder's,then there would be no choice. Those "feeders' have done far more damage from wht I've heard,so I definitely wouldn't want to try them.Although your fish would be hungry,I'd rather let them wait it out.That would also help to keep your params in much better shape. :)

They'll be hungry, but they wont die from not eating for a week. -have your thought about buying a bunch of weed like elodea or cabomba which goldies like to eat? I always chuck in a bunch of weed if I've gotta go away for a while, they'll shred the plant and you'll have to do a big clean out after you get back, but at least the fish aren't going to be going hungry :)

They'll be hungry, but they wont die from not eating for a week. -have your thought about buying a bunch of weed like elodea or cabomba which goldies like to eat? I always chuck in a bunch of weed if I've gotta go away for a while, they'll shred the plant and you'll have to do a big clean out after you get back, but at least the fish aren't going to be going hungry :)

Thanks Mads.Thats exactly why I asked if there were live plants.For some reason though ,I failed to mention that, :krazy: I guess I think everyone can read my mind!!! :rolleyes::rofl

What kind of fish do you have? :)

I was wondering that to. My fish will be going 8 full days without supervision. I'm hoping that they'll be fine. I bought a couple bunches of anacharis, one for my trop. tank and the other for my goldie tank. I would have gotten something tastier but anacharis is the only thing I've found that my snails won't eat unless they're desperate. Hopefully everyone makes it through alright :)

lol!, s'okay Sharon... I thought that a bit of clarification may be in order...

FF, I'm curious too, you didn't mention otherwise and seeing this is a goldfish board it;s easy for one to make the assumption that you were talking about goldfish. Can you clarify what type of fish is being kept in your tank?

What about the vacation feeders they make for the fish for things like this? Is there something wrong with these? I have used them for several years and have never had a problem with them. Please let me know!

Thanks!

The dissolvable tablets will completely pollute the tank, and you usually come back to sick or dead fish. I wish petstores knew this. They feed half of their fish with dissolvable vacation feeder blocks, and they wonder why they have so many die.

Automatic feeders are a little safer and can be set to feed a small amount of food at a certain time every day. However, there are still a lot of things that could malfunction and it could unset itself and not feed the fish, or even worse, dump all the food in the container into the tank at once. If you are going to be gone for a week or less, most fish will be fine alone without food. If longer, consider a fish sitter. Set out a daily amount of food for each tank, and hide or take the container of fish food with you so the sitter doesn't overfeed.

They're Killifish.

Sorry, I haven't been on the computer much so I only just got around to answering this. I seem to have come down with a sinus infection and possibly a touch of the flu over my spring break. Oh joy!

Archived