Big Goldies With Little Ones?

Guest leopardchic1225

Guest leopardchic1225

For the past three years or so, my parents have had a pond in their backyard. They kept about 8 goldies in it, but last year various animals began to attack them and by the time the fish came in for the winter there were only 3 very scared and timid goldfish left :(

My parents have decided that they don't want to deal with the fish anymore, and are planning on putting them into the huge pond in our area to fend for themselves... :blink:

I have 3 little goldies and am planning on moving them into a bigger size tank and would really like to add my parent's bigger goldies in with them to save them from this fate.

Would the bigger ones pick on the little ones or should they live pretty well together?

Guest LilRubyQueen

Well I dont know but I'll tell you about a baby comet fish I got from a carnival that I put in the tank with one of my bigger fancy fish.

He nipped off its tail and he caught finrot/tailrot. Died by the time I could bring it to the pet store.

But I really dont know; depends on its characteristics (aggressive or not). But I really dont know about the behavior of fish; I'm just telling you my experience with the big fish-little fish thing. Hope you find a good answer :-)

If they are all fancies (double tailed) it shouldn't be a problem. I have a 5 inch, a four inch, a 3 inch and 2 - 2 and a half inch goldfish together and the only ones that have shoving matches at feeding time are the two big ones. Other than feeding time, peace and tranquility! :D

Angela

Guest leopardchic1225

I think the big ones are commets and they're scared of everything, but I have a fancy that is almost the same size as the bigger ones and 2 smaller comets. The fancy is a big bully though, so I'm not too worried about him.

You can try putting them together and monitoring very closely. If you see aggression, remove the aggressor to a 5 gallon pail (containing cycled water and with aeration) for overnight. Put them back the next day. If the aggression occurs again, try putting them in the bucket for a day and then returning them to the tank. Sometimes, however, it doesn't work and the fish need to be kept in separate tanks. And it's not always the big ones picking on the small ones!!! I had a 3 inch oranda relentlessly pick on a 5 inch ranchu I introduced to the tank. After nearly a week of rearranging the tank to stop territorial behaviour and isolating in a bucket, I had to give the oranda away. Another thing you need to be concerned about is the pond fish introducing parasites or diseases into your tank. You'll need to quarantine your pond fish (maybe in a rubbermaid container with aeration, cycled water, and preferably a spare cycled filter from your existing tank) for at least two weeks to determine if they are okay. Otherwise you might end up wiping out your existing fish with something they introduce! :o Hope this info helps!

Angela

Guest leopardchic1225

Thanks for the great advice!

The pond fish have been in a large filtered and airated rubbermaid container all winter and I have been keeping a close watch on them. They look very healthy. One is missing an eye after the animal attacks, but all scales and fins have been repaired beautifully. :D

:cry1

Well I dont know but I'll tell you about a baby comet fish I got from a carnival that I put in the tank with one of my bigger fancy fish.

He nipped off its tail and he caught finrot/tailrot. Died by the time I could bring it to the pet store.

But I really dont know; depends on its characteristics (aggressive or not). But I really dont know about the behavior of fish; I'm just telling you my experience with the big fish-little fish thing. Hope you find a good answer :-)

that's really sad to hear :cry1 I too one a comet from a carnival and it was a little guy, and luckily my other goldies werent so much bigger, they got along real well, now my lil comet "big daddy" is the biggest one of all, and they get along well like family... at night they huddle and rest together, its cute, I should take a pic and post it. Is that normal fish behavior? it probly is, I just think its special. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great advice!

No problem! Glad I could help. :)

Angela

I have 13 comets/common mixed, the smallest half an inch and the largest about 6 inches. Five of them are adults and 8 of them are their fry. They live together harmoniously. The oranda that Daust (Angela) was talking about she gave to me. I kept her in a 20 gallon for about a month and then decided to introduce her to the big guys and she how she did. She's loves being in the big tank and isn't attacking anyone...I think each fish is different, food could be an issue for double tailed fish as they cannot swim as fast but in my situation I have to put food in near the oranda first as a distraction, otherwise my single tails would never eat at all. She's a bit of a hog.

Kat, I think in the case of the oranda I gave you, your comets are probably fast enough to get away from her wrath so she probably just gave up! My big behemoth of a ranchu is in slow motion compared to them and couldn't turn himself around fast enough to get away from her. It was pretty comical (in a sad sort of way) to see this great big goldfish hiding in the plants from a little oranda. I'm so glad she's doing fine with your guys. She may have met her match! :D

Archived