Strange Sounds Coming From My Tank

Guest LilRubyQueen

Guest LilRubyQueen

I have a tank on a dresser (its a very strong dresser; its definitly supporting the tank) but the problem is sometimes i hear sounds coming from the tank. Like creaking sounds, clanking sometimes, just little sounds that i hear in total silence and they've been increasing for a numerous amount of times. I'm starting to get scared because my computer (although its not working; i'm replacing it march 7th) is next to the fish tank.

I'm afraid that when i get my new computer and like a day later my fish tank somehow breaks and all the water falls on my new computer...what'll i doo???

Should i keep my tank there (if its normal to hear sounds) or should i rearrange my room around so that my computer and my tank will be nowhere near each other. But if I do that; my tank will have to go through new tank syndrome again because i'll have to empty all of it to move it. Then i'll have to lug my bed to the other side of the room; maybe my dresser also. Be a whole day thing. lol

Any suggestions?

Better safe than sorry, in my opinion. Also, in my opinion, "better safe than sorry" is an awful silly phrase to use when you can't exactly apologize to yourself for damaging / destroying your own belongings. Well, you can, but I digress. No sense in rambling about talking to yourself.

I'd recommend retaining as much water as you can to reasonably move the tank, even if it means purchasing extra buckets, or sanitizing rubbermaids around the house. $3.00 for another 5 gallon bucket sounds awful cheap compared to the cost of replacing most components of a PC.

Guest MidnightClyde

That's awfully strange.

In my opinion, it wouldn't be the tank. I mean, if the tank was creaking.... it would mean there would be movement. If there was movement of the glass...the tank is done for. Also, there's really not anything in a tank's make up that can 'creak'...that's more of a wood on wood or steel on steel thing. Maybe I missed, it... but how big is your tank?

I would guess its either the dresser or the floor itself. Does it sound like it could possibly be coming from the floor...or is it definetely 'unmuffled' and in the room with you?

You don't have termites, do you? :)

I heard a weird creaking in my tank once. So I stayed up and watched it, turns out it was my crazy little Frida playing soccer with a marble. My tank is bare bottomed save a few marbles for them to nuzzle around, but the sound it made was like creaking wood or glass. What kind of bottom do you have in your tank?

Keeping in mind that a tank weighs about 10 pounds per gallon, when you add in the filter, glass, hood, gravel etc..... water is about 8 pounds per gallon. So a 10 gallon tank is 100 pounds! That is a lot of weight.

Would you feel comfortable sitting on your dresser? Most are not built to support that kind of weight - an least not these days. Wood composites and staples/glue are very common - even in "good" furniture, and these simply cannot hold up to weight like that, necessarily. A 20 gallon tank is 200 pounds! That is like having a very large man sitting on your dresser!!!!

IS there ANY other place for the tank to be?

Many homes settle - and squeak and creak particularly as the seasons change. Perhaps you are hearing that.

Does your bubbler release bubbles into the intake of the filter? That can make really strange noises - particularly if it is only a few bubbles now and then.

As mentioned above, perhaps your fish are playing with stones or equipment, clunking around in there. I have a few fishy soccer players, too!

Do you have a wooden floor under you - or is it a concrete slab? A wooden floor can creak and move a bit with the seasons and humidity changes, also.

I agree with the others, though. It is simply not worth risking anything electronic or irreplacable beside a fish tank. Just yesterday, I dropped a quart of water and bounced it off the floor. It just missed soaking a power bar! :yikes

I was also thinking it could be your fishes playing with some large pebbles.. but have you actually sat in front of your tanks to see and hear these cracking yourself? I mean you hear them from time to time so you should sit there randomly or when watching your fish try to see* where those sounds are coming from then you can really confirm what is causing this, something that needs immediate attention or just something your fishes are doing for fun.XD

* meaning you should locate the source of the sound in case you don't know what I am saying.

my filter sometimes makes a popping crackling sound. It's actually bubbles breaking on the surface. sometimes it sounds like someone has their hand in the tank and is slapping the water. I have looked several times to make sure it is not my fish splashing, each time they have been sound asleep.

I think you need to sit up at night next to the tank and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. You could probably do it during the day if there is not so much background noise where you are.

I agree with everyone else though: You should never put anything important near a tank. Especially a computer.

I had to move the bubble bar in my tank because the bubbles were getting into the filter and scaring my cat when they popped.

I have a 5 gallon (I guess that's 50 pounds?) on my desk, along with a laptop and a small tv (which is like 30 pounds itself) but I *know* my desk can handle it, because my uncle and my dad built it.

Guest LilRubyQueen

Well I really dont think the problem is the dresser. The dresser seems very stable; it's been holding the TV, the tank and all my clothes in its drawers for months now. And I called my aunt; she said that she can help me move my room around on Sunday. So my fish may have to go through new tank syndrome or try to retain as much water as i can; i think its worth it in the long run.

To all the questions:

1. Its a 10 gall. tank.

2. Its definitly not muffled. Doesn't sound like it anyway.

3. No, no termites. lol. But I'll have to clean out any candies in my draers or pockets or anything. Springs coming and the ants will come marching in!!! LOL

4. I forgot what my filter's called. Its one of those that takes the water up and then kinda dumps it out in a constant pace back into the tank. Kinda like a water fall. So there's bubbles going into the water when the water slaps the surface of the tank water; sure but i never noticed or seen bubbles go into the filter.

5. No marbles in my tank; just fuscia gravel. Could be him putting it in his mouth and spitting it out; maybe he's doing it against the glass. He does that often. I could sit and watch for it.

6. Yup, we have a wooden floor. But there's carpet over it so I really dont think its that.

Guest Obninsk

Do you have and air stone running? I ask that if your using a filet as you described (HOB) if the air bubbles are near and going up the intake tube, that will cause a "cracking" or bubbling or slapping sound....if this is the case, just move the air stone or wand away from the filter intake tube and it will quiet the impeller in a hurry....

I had made this same mistake years ago...

Archived