I Finally Gave In To The Aliens

I think snails are crazy alien creatures from another planet and I've always loved the way they look. Now that I've got a nice big tank (29 gallons) with two little fish (oranda and fantail) I decided that I have the room to make things a little more exciting and ordered some Liquid Calcium and a dark purple apple snail from rainbowsnails. All the pictures of them look sooo pretty!

I bought some algae wafers that my goldfish completely ignore so I figure I gotta get rid of them some how :D

Just a quick question:

1. I don't have a hood! My top is about 1/2 covered with glass but the other half is open.

what are the chances my snail is going to climb my 19 inch mount everest?

I'm HOPING it's unlikely but I'm experimenting with saran wrap meanwhile. I have a little 2 gallon tank with a lid that I could house him in as a temporary measure while I find a suitable cover if need be.

Any advice/suggestions/snail-escape-adventures would be appreciated!

Yay congrats!! I love that site, they sell good snailies. I am waiting on 4 bristlenose plecos and 2 asolene spixis from there.

I have a huge beast of a snail in my 75 gallon and there is about a 2 inch gap in the back. He has never escaped. I also had a ton in my 7 gallon after hatching a clutch and none of them escaped either.

Good luck! :D

They usually don't venture far until it is time to lay. In my experience, if I have a nice place for them to lay on the way up (i.e. soap dish or other such ledge) they often won't go any further. If they don't find a spot they like, though, they will keep going....I've discovered females that've gotten out of their tanks and find they laid their eggs a foot up the wall behind the tank!

Guest fishcrazy101

if your a worried of the snail escaping the you could put some duck tape or masking tape or some thing :bingo:

Archived