Fungus - The Sneaky Opportunitist!

Ranchugirl

I knew that fungus is a little sneaky - it creeps up on you, and thrives in dirty tank conditions (among other things). Well, it has gotten to my two pompons. They are in their 30 gl tank, and the only tank with totally green water. Unless they are right infront of the glass, there isn't a chance that I ever see them. I usually am up to date on my water changes, but with all the remodeling going on around here, I must have missed that one tank a couple of times.

And further thinking that snails aren't gonna make a big difference, think that one over! There are 7 snails in with the pompons - not big ones, 2 fairly nice blue ones, and the others are small pixi snails (the striped kind). And yes, they do make a mess too, and should be considered almost equal to the goldfish.

Well, since the water is so green, of course I couldn't see any dirt on the tank bottom, which is bare except for a few river rocks. A few days ago I noticed the pompon's fungus, and immediately changed their water and dosed with salt accordingly. The fungus is almost gone now, but let it be a warning that it can sneak up on anybody with a bit dirty conditions, or overcrowding. It couldn't have come from anything else, there was nothing new in the tank for at least 4 months, and the fish got a clean bill of health with my scope when I got them.

Anyway, just a little something to think about if you aren't up to par on the water changes or think you can squeeze in just one more fish into a tank that isn't maintained on a regular basis. That darn fungus thought it can do that to my fish, and it got one of those :wa ....

Andrea, that is a good reminder for all of us. Life does get hectic at times and with as many as you have........well I can see one getting missed. It is good you got things under control though. And for the snails, that too is good to know..........that they are as messy as gf. I thought I had heard someone say that a while back but it is always good to have confirmation.

Archived