Juwel

Guest ma_ac13

Here's the Juwel aquarium range. The Vision's and Rio's are the bigger ones they do.

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/aquarium.htm

Also readily available in the UK are these (amongst many others, check out your LFS's)

Budget depending, the Rena Aqualife tanks are very good. I have the 100 X 40 at the moment (just over 3 foot) but I'm planning to get one of the larger ones as well in the future.

http://www.rena.net/en_gb/products/aquariums/aqualife.asp

The new, larger Fluval "Italian" range are popular too, although I think they're all bowfronts. The 4 footish ones are the 260-350's.

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/sub_catego...AT=1&SUBCAT=103

if its for goldfish then be prepared to add lots of extra filtration. juwels powerheads arent that great ,though the media is good. If you get a juwel then add an external to your shopping list.

I have the rio 240 and though its ok for tropicals with an added fluval +4 theres no way i would consider adding anything other than one fantail if i turned it to coldwater.

For your money its best to look at everything in seperates.

One goldie in 240 litres? The filtration isnt that bad surely! Maybe I misundertand. My Juwel has an added Fluval Plus 4 and I think its grand.

If you do go with a Juwel then id ditch the nitrate removal sponge they suggest. (The green one).

It needs replaced periodically and its a big ole sponge. I replaced it with just another coarse sponge (blue one).

If you do go with a Juwel then id ditch the nitrate removal sponge they suggest. (The green one).

It needs replaced periodically and its a big ole sponge. I replaced it with just another coarse sponge (blue one).

Yeah, very good tip! :exactly It's unnecessary and an extra blue sponge will provide even more space for colonisation of beneficial bacteria.

Also, upgrading the powerhead (to the next one up or so) that comes with the Juwel setup can be a good move as is adding a secondary filter like Sandy and Yazooo suggest. An external would be fabulous, but all this is kinda budget-depending as well.

Good luck with it and let us know what you decide :)

Guest ma_ac13

oh and thanks for the replies they were a good help, i want to get a kit all complete, i think theres a LFS that do external filter and tank all included i think its supposed to be a powerful one too (cant remember name of it tho!)

Hi so id be ok to upgrade the powerhead (one of the biggest ones they do) and this would help yeah?

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/bersicht193.htm

Yeah, upgrading the powerhead of the Juwel may help with a goldie tank, it doesn't have to be the biggest one, maybe just the next one up. Although you may find that with a large Juwel tank it will already come with a a 1000 or 1500 powerhead anyway.

Or with the money you'd spend on the upgraded powerhead you could keep the one it comes with and put that money towards your additional filters.

A mix of different filter types can work well. Adding an external filter to a large tank is a great idea. Aim for at least 10 x's the tank volume for a filtration rate in a goldfish tank due the sheer amount of solid waste, keeping the waste suspended in the water for longer is a good thing and allows the filters to pick it up more easily, although you don't want a washing machine! You may need two or three filters to acheive what you need.

As you've decided you want to get a kit - I'd find the one you want first, find out what filtration comes with it already and plan your additional filters from there on. Good luck with it :)

Guest ma_ac13

Hello i need your honest opinions, i still live with my parents and my mum is extremely fussy with water going everywhere etc etc so i may be limited to using the juwel powerhead, if i upgrade the powerhead would this be ok at least providing i was doing weekly water changes?

I hope so because that would save lots of arguments lol

To be honest, I don't think a Juwel in-built filtration system alone would be suffucient for a goldfish tank, I think you are going to have to add a secondary filter of some kind in order to meet your 10 x's.

As Sandy suggests, an external filter would work well and can be installed very easily and is tidy and discreet (the canister should sit underneath the tank in the cabinet but check the sizing first). It all really depends on the size of the tank and how many fish you want to put in it, but my feeling is that you will need a secondary filter of some kind, but it's just my opinion. Find out which tank you want first and then take a good look at your filtration options :)

as for the comment of only one fish in the 240 with just the powerhead provided.

juwel filters do not have the power to circulate the water well enough for more than one fish. may seem over the top but thats just my own opinion.

these are german tanks made for the continental market where plants are the thing and not fish. plants dont need much in the way of water movement and a few tropical fish arent going to overload the bio system.

brits and americans go the other way, tending to push the stock limits more and less plants, indeed i doubt these tanks have been thought of in terms of goldfish.

my advice would be to either get a bigger powerhead if you cant get anything else added. keep stocking to a minimum and do regular water changes.

if you can get another internal then the fluval 4 is an excellent choice and the external would be my first choice.

i will add that i will not ever buy another juwel again, i think for the hassle of adding extra filtration you can get better value and a decent kit for your money by buying seperately. also you ahve the added hassle of the canopy lights breaking down. i had to pay ?80 for a new one last year and juwel were non responsive in their communications with me.

case of buyer beware.

Guest ma_ac13

Hi Sandy thanks for the response i suppose i will listen to the gurus, i best go for external filtration then.

Well sometime this year (before the summer) i am going to get a big set up im looking forward to it aswell so dont want anything going wrong.

I want a tank no bigger than 4 foot long, about 1.5 foot wide and 2 foot high - any suggestions of aquarium brand names and models numbers that do the size tank that im after?

Also is that a nice sized tank that i want to get? How many fancies could i keep in a tank as big as that?

That is almost the exact dimensions of a 90 gallon tall tank. It's a pretty standard size so you can probably pick one up and any local fish store. I have one at home. To give your goldies room to grow, I wouldn't put more than 6 goldfish in it. :)

Angela

Dimensions 122 x 46 x 61cm/48" x 18" x 24

Surface area 0.56 sqm/6.03 sq ft/ inches sq in

Volume 341 l./75 gal. (90.08 US gal.)

Probable volume 307 l./68 gal. (81 US gal.)

I think thats a great size for keeping a little goldie community! :D

Just to offer an alternative opinion re: Juwel Tanks, I personally really like mine. I think its an attractive tank and its done me just fine. I would however suggest the extra filtration as has been discussed, though again personally I dont think its as dire as others think.

Guest ma_ac13

Dimensions 122 x 46 x 61cm/48" x 18" x 24

Surface area 0.56 sqm/6.03 sq ft/ inches sq in

Volume 341 l./75 gal. (90.08 US gal.)

Probable volume 307 l./68 gal. (81 US gal.)

I think thats a great size for keeping a little goldie community! :D

Just to offer an alternative opinion re: Juwel Tanks, I personally really like mine. I think its an attractive tank and its done me just fine. I would however suggest the extra filtration as has been discussed, though again personally I dont think its as dire as others think.

you think the juwel filtration isnt as bad as people say then? Do u still recommend me to go external?

Well I dont think its bad enough for only one fantail in a 240l tank.

Where goldfish are concerned you should always aim for at least 10x filtration, that is, the entire volume of the tank is filtered 10 times per hour. If you look at the Juwel website you will see how many litres per hour the various filters are rated for.

If you could get an external filter to assist the internal Juwel filter that would be fantastic as externals are more suited for messy fish like goldies. Failing that add another internal like a Fluval Plus 4.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought id let everyone know i've changed my tune on this one and agree with Sandy.

This morning I cut the Juwel Internal Filter out of my tank. It was full of muck and its incredibly difficult to clean: so important with messy fish.

Archived