How Did This Happen! : (

Guest Raydeeohed

Guest Raydeeohed

I've owned a variety of fan-tail goldfish for the past 8 years that were located together in the same tank, and never had any problems with fighting or disease. Just recently though, my remaining goldfish (a gold fan-tail and a brownish colored fish that resembled a goldfish I won from a fair once) of which I had together for about 5 years were found beaten to shreds. My fan-tail was dead, and my brown fish is still alive but now missing its dorsal fin. Now here is what I can't figure out. About two to three weeks ago, a teacher of mine handed over a small Comet goldfish (approx. 3 times smaller than my current goldfish) to me. I added the small fish to the tank in fear of it being eaten by my goldfish 3x its size (my brown fish thought it was food at first, and then eventually left it alone) Everything seemed completely fine with my fish after that, until today. I can't figure out if my new Comet fish destroyed my goldfish, it doesn't look possible to me, I didn't think they were aggressive, and the fish looks completely untouched. And I was also wondering if it was possible for long term tank buddies to decide to eat eachother.

Hi and welcome to Koko's. You'll need to post this again in the disease section, when you go to post in there a big box comes up at the top of the page with a whole list of questions, like size of tank, water parameters, howmany fish etc. We really need as much info as possible to be able to start to make guesses about what went on in your tank.

There's heaps of people out there itching to help you with your problem, but they need to know more concrete facts about what's going on other than fish died/fish lost fin etc. What looks 'fine' in a fish tank doesn't necessarily mean that things are 'fine' in a tank. most things that cause problems in a tank are not visible to the naked eye until it's too late (fish dying, obvious sickness etc)..

Good luck!

One of my fish had shredded fins and I thought it might be due to a bully tank mate so I added Melafix to help heal the fins and left it alone.

-DOH!- It turned out to be fin rot and the fish died. Fin rot is bacterial and it occurs when the fish is stressed out due to poor water conditions, overcrowding, etc.

Could it possibly be that? My tank was overcrowded (3 small goldies in a 10 gallon) and I was cycling my tank so my ammonia and nitrate would get up to .5ppm sometimes. Baddddd news.

Anyhow, yeah, once this is over in disease you can answer all the quetions in the big white box and people will have a better idea of what's going on ; )

Archived