I'm Not 100% Sure This Belongs Here But I Need A Quick Response

nichjake

Through my complete clumsiness I accidentally knocked the bag of sugar off our refridgerator and it landed on my fish tank. About a tablespoon spilled into the tank. The tank is 29 gallons. I just wanna make sure that table sugar isn't toxic to the fish/snails/pleco and if I should do a water change to dilute it out. Jeez, I feel like an idiot....today has just been one of those days :krazy:

Oops.............NJ, I dont' think it would be toxic. But I would do a 50% water change to dilute it.

How are your params? Can they stand even 75% change?

Then again in 12 hours????

I would say 1 tblsp per 29 gals isn't alot, but again I am not sure.

good luck, i'm sorry that happened! for as much other stuff we put in our water... i'd think if you dilute it asap and do the very best you can with that... they'll be ok. we put oranges in.. and they have natural sugars. my tank always smells like orange juice after they attack their slice.

(just don't put any kool-aid mix it, and i'd think you'll be safe)

Okay, I did a 50% water change. I'll do it again tomorrow night. I don't want to wipe my nitrates out too much but I think it should be fine. I would have done more but lugging buckets of water down the hall, having to lock my door behind me, to a bathroom door that I have to unlock each time isn't an easy task. Everyone seems fine so far, hopefully it won't hurt them any. Thanks for the advice guys :)

You are welcome. I will move your thread to the reg. section. If anything changes let us know. But I think things will be fine. Just watch for any irritations from the sugar.

Archived