Parasites Problem

tonya

I think my fish have parasites problem - first, they were only yawning a lot, but now I see them sometimes scratching at tank walls and also rapidly shaking their fins, like something is bothering them (and one fish rapidly breaths, mostly in the evening). I have to admit they are in small tank (60 l, 3 fish) with few live plants, but I really can't afford space for bigger tank, rubbermaid or anything else. So, I'm doing 2-3 water changes weekly, clean tank regularly... Anyway, I tried with Sera Mycopur two times in three weeks (and also added Sera Ectopur salt like they recommended at first day of treatment), but it didn't help, all the symptoms are still present. What else can I do?

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

How is the water? what are the params of the tank? This is vital information that we need to help recommend stuff.

Also what country are you in?

Hi Tonya,the first thing that we need here are your water params.Your fish's behavior very well sounds like Parasites,but we want to rule out anything else before we decide that.The thing about too many fish in a too small tank,is that poor water params can often cause some of those same symptoms,as too harsh medications can as well.What are the active ingredients in Sera Mycopur and how,and how much did you add the Sera Ectopur salt l?

How big are these fish?

Hi, guys! Well, I was following directions on the Mycopur box - first day of treatment 1 teaspoon of salt for 25 liters of water - so I added 2 teaspoons. Mycopur contains acriflavine, cupric chloride, cupric sulfate and aqua purificata ad, whatever it is, I got this medication at the pet store (I'm from Croatia) and it's "against fungal infections, skin and gill flukes". I didn't buy any of those test kits because they were too expensive, I guess I can get one if you tell me which is most important for this situation. Fish are now about 11-12 cm big, with tails, I have them one year and a half.

60 L is a little over 15 gallons,so you're definately overstocked on the tank.Test Kits that include PH/Nitrite?Ammonia/Nitrates are needed,especially as you are overstocked.

Can you tell us your maintainance schedule of changing water/how much,along with the type and size of your filter?

If you're treating fish with meds,and your water quality is poor,there's a good chance that the meds won't work as they are meant too.Have you noticed any improvement what so ever in their behaviors,and when was the lat time you changed their water and how much?

Have you noticed any improvement what so ever in their behaviors

Hm, maybe less scratching, but fin shaking and yawning is still present, they really yawn a lot, and also I have noticed today whole body shaking once (I was sick and stayed home last week, so I could watch them more often). Otherwise, they're normally swimming, grabing for food, their poop is normal and they even show breeding behavior. I feed them with peas a lot, because one of them has floating problems after she eats pellets or crisps.

Can you tell us your maintainance schedule of changing water/how much,along with the type and size of your filter?

Once a week I do gravel vacuuming, and change 40-60% of water, it really depends. But I do some water changing also during week, about 25%, once or twice. I have built-in filter (it's Juwel aquarium); recently I bought external filter but I couldn't set it up (because internal filter box is in front of the hole through which I'm supposed to put pipe and some plastic parts - don't ask :( , I hope I'll figure out something). Anyway, last water change was today, 60%. And tomorrow I'm going to pet store and see which tests I could buy.

OK, I tested water for ammonia yesterday and today, the result was: 0 (I guess this is OK, because I did major water change two days ago). I'll buy other tests, but they are too expensive, I can't get them all at once. So, what can I do? Maybe some salt treatment? Any suggestions, please?

You don't need to add salt or any chemicals/medications. The "yawning" and "rapid breathing" indicate low oxygen levels and/or high carbon dioxide levels. You need to increase the filtration/circulation of the water. Buy an air pump or power head to agitate the water surface.

And you need a bigger tank.

I don't know what is normal in your area, but at many pet stores in the US you can bring in some of the water from your aquarium and ask them to test it for you, which mine will do for free. It might be worth calling them and seeing if they will do that for you, which will help you understand what is happening without having to spend so much money at one time, because I understand that those can be expensive.

:) Hi Tonya. The problem that we have now,is that the symptoms your fish show could actually be caused by a number of reason. Yes, it could be from low oxygen levels and/or high carbon dioxide levels,but it could also be from poor water params,bacterial gill disease,Parasites, a reaction to meds,etc, so it's really hard to pinpoint anything specific without knowing your tank params to begin with. I'm sorry,I know that you live in Croatia,so I'm not sure as to how your Pet Stores work over there.Have you tried taking a sample of your tank water ,and asking them to check it for you?

How are your fish doing today?Any other signs symptoms from them? Any redness,swelled gills,clamped fins,shredded fins,any spitting of food?CAn yo try and take a look at their gills and tell us if they're red and meaty in color,or pale kind of tattered looking? Are you still treating with Meds and Salt? :unsure:

Thanks for replying! I have an air pump already and it's set to maximum. Unfortunately, my local pet store doesn't test water, I'll call another store to check or I'll buy tests as soon as I can afford them. Now I'm testing water for ammonia every day and I have realized that it's absolutely necessary to do water changes every third day. At least, now I know that.

These symptoms existed before I put meds and mostly fish are yawning too much and rapidly shaking their fins few times a day, sometimes scratching and I saw once or twice body shaking (I'm not sure exactly how much because now I'm at work whole day). Their condition hasn't changed for weeks. No redness, swelled gills, shredded fins. Poop is normal, and spitting food isn't an option :) , they have big, healthy appetite and mostly normal behavior. Gills are meaty color, but I'm not sure Devs what do you mean ? tattered, how does it look?

One fish rapidly breathes and has clamped fins sometimes, she has also floating problem when she eats pellets etc., so I feed them with peas and it really helps.

At this point I'm not treating them with meds, because I have no clue how often can I do that kind of treatment, I guess meds are strong. I'm thinking about salt or maybe GoldMed (universal cure), but I'm not sure if it's a good idea :unsure: .

Here are some pics:

pic1

pic2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back with testing results (I finally get test kit)! Yesterday I did major water change, 50%, and today I tested water:

Ammonia Level: 0

Nitrite Level: 0

Nitrate level: 25

Ph Level: 8

KH: 3

GH: >14, less than 21

Fish behaviour is same as I mentioned in previous post, although I noticed that one of my fish has on its (white) tail few blood streaks, I don't know is this normal or not, but maybe someone can take a look at pics that I posted. So, I'm not sure what to do next, just take care that water parameters are OK or treat my fish with some medication or salt or something. Any ideas?

Archived