Adding Aquarium Salt

Guest Brock

Ok, so I've got some Interpet Aqualibrium aquarium salt, and I know what dosage to add, but surely you don't just add it straight into the tank?

So what's the procedure for this? Should I dissolve it in some warm water first?

Unfortunately it didn't come with any instructions.

i would say to disslove it first, then add to the tank. if i have to add salt to my tank, i get some aquarium water, and let it disslove in that.

what is it that you are using it for, if you dont mind me asking?

I do not know if salt will really boost the immunity, but it cannot hurt too much.....

It is very important to dissolve the salt before adding it to your tank. Pour the solution into a corner of the tank away from the fish and the filter intake. Do not pour it on a fish and do not pour it into your filter box.

:)

Hi Brock, personally I would use plain old aquarium salt (evaporated sea salt) rather than that Interpet stuff because I believe from memory it has some sort of Ph buffer in it (which is unnecessary for most cases) and if I'm thinking of the same thing it is kinda yellow rather than salt-white in colour? This does discolour the water slightly when used (whereas plain aquarium salt shouldn't usually), or at least it did when I used it a couple of years back. I'm sure I'm thinking of the same product. Aquarium salt as a tonic can be useful, but I would just go for basic aquarium salt with no additives for that purpose, just my opinion though :)

Guest MidnightClyde

Quick question.... and I'm gonna post it here.

I've heard to keep your tank salted as a tonic... I've heard don't do it so when a salt bath is needed, the critters won't have a built-up immunity.

What's 'better' ? What does everyone here do? I used to salt my tank but after reading these boards, I don't any more.

Sorry... don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've just been wondering what you experienced fishkeepers prefer

Guest Brock

I added the salt, and it seems to have done the trick.

He's now out and about and much perkier with the other fish. His dorsal fin isn't raised, though, so I'm going to keep medicating for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oregongal

I had to add salt to cure ich in my tank, all sees to be going well.

No ich left except on one fish.

When ich is all cleared, what should I lower my salt to?

Right now its at .03%

What should I get it down to with water changes?

The fish were all stressed as my tank was still 'cycling'.

It still is, but should be done soon.

Sue

Guest CuteFishy51

hey oregongal what type of salt did you use for your tank as it seems my fantail has ich (1 or 2 spots) she's 3 1/2 inches with tail and has a very round body. thanks in advance!

Archived