They are Finally Eating

jamisskat

hello everyone and good morning. my fry are 2 days old and are finally eating. today i woke up to them swimming around good and i thought well maybe their ready to eat. so put some drops in the water and they attack it! its so cute how they swim to eat and check it out first. i know you guys want pics real bad but, ive tried to get pics and you cant see anything. i will keep trying for you guys. i just want to think everyone that has helped me through all this breeding and now the babies. :) oh, one more thing, just thought i'd share with you their little eyeballs are so flipping cute. i watch them and they move around moving their eyes around just watching everything. so far they seem heathly all have a nice shape to them and swim good, time will tell i guess. i did lose one yesterday due to the fact i accidently squished him :( so, i only have 4 babies left. so just pray for me guys thanks for reading!..jewels

my local petstore did not have the baby brime so i bought what they had to feed them when they get bigger. right now their eating egg yolk and i was wondering would tublifex worms be ok? they seem to really like that stuff!

I wouldnt feed tubifex to any goldfish. Its known to be grown in polluted waters and may harvest parasites and other nasties. I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with it, including me.

Can you get some Hikari First Bites? Mine ate that for a long time. You can also try finely crushing some flake food for the time being until you can get something better.

hmmm.. i've never had any problems with useing those worms. iv'e used them for years and the fish seems to luv them. maybe you just got a bad batch? dont know. i actually increased the amount of blood worms and tublilex to help with the spawning. cuz of the protein. i only feed tublifex as a treat a few days a week to my big guys. i regulate the feedings between tublifex and blood worms. blood worms being their favorite!

Feeding egg yolk is VERY nutritious - and you can do that for at least 10 days. Just watch that you do not foul your tank - it can fungus up in the strangest of places- the sponge on the filter is the biggest nasty I have seen.

If you cannot find FirstBites or do not want to use it, take your normal food you have for your adults. Pour the container out into a sieve - and shake. The fine powder that comes out the sieve can be wet in a small saucer and fed to very small fry. They do well on that. Just vacumn up the waste at least once a day. Soon you will see little "worms" of poo on the bottom and you will know that they are eating well. I sieve out spiriliana and fish flakes and ProGold and Hikari pellets, etc...

I loooooove those little eyes, too. :heart

Edit: the first and last time I fed Tublifex my fish got sick. I do not know if there was a direct connection, but I have felt no need to repeat the experiment!

thanks guys for all your help. ive already noticed some poo on the bottom of the tank. yay!! i'll be cleaning all the uneaten food everynight and replacing with room temp water. iv'e been using the airline tubeing which i found was alot easier and safer for the babies. so far they seem to run away from the tubeing when they see it. lol) oh, and is it me or do they actually get bigger each day? i've noticed some growth from yesterday? iv'e also noticed their little fantails already!

well guys, im happy to say while cleaning the fry tank i found another fish! i have no clue where he came from. i had 5 total but lost one due to an accident which left 4. then i found another free swimming. i dont understand how i missed him either. ive counted mine a few times daily and always seen 4. he must have been hiding real good.

If your fish was dropping eggs for a day - the eggs that were earliest may have been free swimming almost a day before others. The late ones, hanging on the bottom or up on the back/sides are very hard to see - and you can miss them until they become free swimming.

Every single hatch I have had (4 :rolleyes: ), I grossly underestimated the number of fry that hatched out. I thought that I got nothing from the red phoniex. I am seeing a fair number now - more that I originally thought. And the ranchu clutch I thought would yield a dozen or so, and I think I have at least 50 in there!!!! As more and more become free swimming I see them!

That is so great! More little eyes for you to love! :D

Archived