New Tank + Question

Dhlusak

First, allow me to say the various networking sites (CList, Ebay, etc) are my newest best friends. As a result, I have acquired a new tank. 30 gal, I believe. (about 36" x 17.5" x 11.5") This tank came with a cast iron stand which I was initially giddy about

The problem I have run into, however, is the water level. As this is a used stand, it looks like it may be a little unbalanced - about 1/8th inch right now. I fear this will become worse over time, and I have heard plenty of horror stories.

While I can't imagine 1/8th inch would make a world of difference, what would be recommended to jab under the tank to level this off? I can only imagine something like metal washers would be a good idea.

Oh, and the tank / stand were $10. Ha.

What about wooden shims from the hardware store? That is what is usually used for those purposes. You can find them in a bag of about 10 for a few dollars. They are small pieces of wood in a sort of thin wedge shape.

Congrats on the great deal!! I got a great deal on my 30 gallon and stand from craigslist.com - tank and stand, filters, heater, plants, python and extra attachments, UGF filter and 2 powerheads, thermometers... took me about a week to sort through it all! Got it all for $100 and the guy delivered it for free! I sold some of the stuff and made about half of my money back already. :bingo:

I usually buy a piece of foam board at the art/hobby store. This, cut just 1/2 inch larger than the tank's bottom will set on the stand nicely. SEt your tank on top, and, as you fill the tank with water, it will squish the foam in the fashion the tank needs for support - a little less squish-age on the side that is high and a bit more on the "low" side.

I usually have a stand, a board or flat surface of some nature, and a wrapped piece of foam board on top - I wrap them with colorful fabric and staple or tape it on. This makes for a colorful bottom on a bare bottomed tank, as well as a leveler for an unlevel stand/tank.

:)

You guys are the best! I love the idea of the foam. I actually have a couple yards of some crimson cloth lying around that would work perfectly. Now that I'm at work, I'm aching to get home to try that out.

As far as the tank goes, I unfortunately didn't get a hood or filter for the tank, but I need to rearrange filters anyhoo.

2 new 350 biowheels tonight. Woo!

Hmm... I seem to have had a bit of an oversight here.

cunning20planpc1.jpg

I was unable to find any foam board, but I had read somewhere that foam weather stripping would work in the same manner. As with foam, though... wouldn't the sides that are too high continue to be too high, as with more water weight, they sink the foam down more?

Maybe I have become a little confused here, but no less: I have done it, as I was left with a gap between the stand and the tank.

As far as shims go, the problem I run into is the tank is cast iron; as such, it has only 4 legs. The front two are thin, curled posts, with the rear two being straight poles. With shims, i'd presume it'd be best to avoid twisting by placing them beneath the stand rather than between the stand and tank.

As the legs are structured, however, I dont see how that would work without lying plywood beneath it... something I dont really wish to do :(

Thinking thinking thinking

I guess I don't understand what the problem is with putting a shim under each leg on the side that is lower? I've always just jammed the pointed end under the leg until it sits evenly, then just leave it like that. It won't move, your tank is far too heavy for that! This would be easier on carpet I suppose, but it should work just as well on a hard surface.

Anyone else got any ideas? What about the metal washers- did you give that a go yet?

I officially did the shims, good call! Thank you! I also added the stripping still to fill up the gaps to even up the weight more.

Should work beautifully, but it sure was a painful experience :-)

Archived