Fish Is Dying! Help!

ktinal900

I have a friend who recently bought a fantail. It's been about a week and the other day the fish stopped eating, started swimming using only one of its pectoral fins (the other one just sticks out), keeps opening its mouth, and now it appears its fins are rapidly disinegrating. My friend asked me what was wrong but I have no idea so I'm hoping one of you might know. I checked the water params for him and they were good. The fish is about one inch long and in a 10 gallon planted tank. Its dorsal fin looks shredded and its tail fin has gotten worse in a matter of only hours, also looking shredded. The poor fishie :(

Hi, I don't know the answer to you question but I thought I could give you some advice. At the top of your screen you will see a box with questions, as many of the questions will need to be answered so the mods can help you out better. I hope the fish is still all right!

Hmm, well, seeing as it's my friend's fish, I'll answer everything to the best of my knowledge...

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal, 2 wks

What is the name and size of the filter/s? I think it's a Whisper filter

How often do you change the water and how much? He told me he's been changing 20% every day since it's a new tank and he's trying to keep the ammonia down

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 one-inch fantails

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aquasafe

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? They are the new (and only) fish

What do you feed your fish? Omega One flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, frayed fins

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Continually opening mouth, one pectoral fin not moving and just sticking out

Archived