Swimming Laps?

Guest jbyrd3810

Guest jbyrd3810

Curly, my calico oranda, has been swimming laps up and down the right side of her tank alot lately. This is a new behavior that started about 3 weeks ago right before I suspected that she might have parasites. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now that I am treating her for parasites I am wondering if there is something wrong. It's always the same side of the tank, and almost always the same path over and over and over again. I have sat and watched her for a good 20 mins doing it.

Should I be worried, or is this something normal?

Guest jbyrd3810

She's not rubbing now. The reson I am treating her for parsites is becuase I caught her rubbing aginst the gravel on the bottom. She dosen't seem to be rubbing aginst the wall, just swimming the lap over and over. I thought that there might be something that was catching her attention on that side, but the only thing close to that side if her tank is a stero speaker. And even that is about 15 inches away. She is still swimming her laps now, it's been like 30 mins now.. She takes a break for a couple of seconds, then starts swimming her laps again.

Mine get all excited when I am in the room and then they start swimming laps. Just waiting for the meal I think. Can you tell if he does it when no one is there? Also, they don't seem to get the this-is-the-end-of-the-tank thing. I have two tanks together and one of the fish is always trying to swim into the next tank.

What size tank is this fish in,who else is with him,and how big are their sizes? What are your water params on this tank?How often/how much water do you change out?

Most times that I've seen fish do this,is when they're stressed out-whether it be from params, over-crowding,or too small of a tank.

How often were you seeing the fish rubbing? Was it before or after water changes,or all the time?Although that's a good indication of Parasites,it can also be poor water quality.Post soon with some info,and we can figure out which way to go with this. :)

I'm going to move this to Diagnosis,just to be safe. :)

Guest jbyrd3810

Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 20 Ph of tank - 7.2 Ph of tap - 7.2

10 gallon tank that's been running for 2.5 months

I have a whisper filter

I change 25% to 30% of the water every Saturday

1 calico oranda about 2 inches in the tank

I am using AquaSafe water conditioner

Medications, I am using Mardel CopperSafe

No new fish, no grains of salt, bloody streaks of frayed fins or fungus

Only odd behavoir is what is decribed above. She was rubbing aginst the gravel, but havne't seen her do that since I started treating for parasites.

Archived