Filter: Biowheel 350

Change about 7-9 gals weekly

Fish: 1 fancy goldie 2.5 inches not counting tail

four applesnails

1 BN pleco

Use Prime, no meds or other additives

No new fish

Feed Hikari

Looks normal except for a couple red smudges on the tips of her tail, those could be a color change in the works.

Shes resting on the bottom a lot more than normal. About a month ago I missed a water change and the nitrates were up to 80 but I did a huge water change that took them down to 20 and since then they've been fine. For a little while I thought maybe that was why she was resting a lot but it would seem like a month of perfect water would have set her straight, especially since the nitrates weren't high for very long.

I might just be being paranoid but something isn't quite right. Any ideas or suggestions?

Hi NJ, sorry to hear your baby isn't right.

You could be right and it is the nitrates still bothering her. Even though you brought them down, 40 can be a bit too high for a fish that has been exposed to high nitrates.

If it were me, I would do a couple water changes a week for a few weeks. Keep them nitrates between 10-20 (20 the highest) and see what that does.

Even though you only have 1 gf, you are stocked to the brim with the pleco and the snails. I know plecos account for 10 gals each, and from what I can remember snails are heavy waste buckets too. LOL

At this point keeping close eye on her for any other new problems will be key along with that water. Remember even though your params can be good, fresh water is a must for replenishing nutrients.

Shes about the same. I did another water change, will do yet another tomorrow before I leave for spring break.

Have you considered a fluke infestation? They are notorious for making fish sit, sluggishly, on the bottom a good deal of the time - particularly gill flukes. Gill flukes impair gill function - and it becomes hard for the fish to "breathe" and they tend to be less active. A fish can carry quite a load of flukes for a long time before they become a real issue....

You might want to use Prazi - or at least a round of 0.3% salt before you leave and see if she does not perk up for you.

I'll have to give prazi a try when I get back. Is prazi safe with snails and plecos? I don't have anywhere to house them during treatment unless I cram them all into my ten gallon tank, which would be a bit much I think. I didn't even think of flukes, I've had Scud about a year so I just assumed that if she had something it would have shown up by now, especially since there haven't been any new additions to the tank other than snails that I've had since egghood.

For now I'm just hoping that everyone is okay until I get back Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

All went well over break. Its strange, since I've been back Scud has been actiing fairly normally. Can flukes do that...bog a fish down for a bit and then lessen to the point where the fish acts normal? Or maybe she's just now getting over the nitrate issue. I hope its the latter, I don't even know where to find prazi around here and then theres the issue of finding places to put my snails.

Right after I got Scud she came down with ich and I treated her for that with salt. Would that have any effect on whether or not she might currently have flukes? She hasn't come into contact with any new fish or stuff from other tanks since I brought her home from the lfs.

It's an interesting question. I always thought that flukes had to be introduced through a new tank item or member. I haven't heard of flukes just arriving..I would like to know if it is possible.

I wonder also if it isn'ta little bit of sbd. I have the same thing right now with a fish. I too have had high nitrates recently and am wondering about this. Keep us posted, good luck.

Archived