Listless Lionhead

Guest Brock

So I've got a tank with three goldfish in it. Water params are great, two of the fish are happy and healthy and perky.

But the third fish, a lionhead, tends to just hide among the plants at the bottom of the tank. Sometimes I come into the room and he's swimming around, quite happy and active. But generally he just hides there.

I thought maybe it had an infection. So I treated for that and no change. Then I thought maybe he was constipated, so I fed peas. No change.

I've varied the diet - from sinking pellets to cucumber to fresh bloodworm and daphnia. He eats it, sure (although I think his eyes are too far apart, as he heads for the food but sometimes misses at the last minute) so now I don't know what's going on.

Is it just his personality? Is he just shy?

Is he smaller than the rest? Could it be that he is not happy with the currents in the tank that his larger tankmates do not notice? Did you scope for parasites? Many fish are bothered far more than others....

I picked up some Tetra Goldmed (had to order it online) and was going to start treating the fish with it, but then I read on the back...

"Limited evidence of a carcinogenic affect."

Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

I got myself some aquarium salt, too, so will add some of that tonight.

I hope he's doing ok!

I once had a fish that did that somewhat, & it turns out she was being picked on (or maybe sexually harrassed) by another fish. Maybe that's it? :blink:

Hope you figure it out soon. I hate when there's a problem & I don't know what to do!!!!

Archived