Severe Wen Overgrowth

Guest Melby1980

Guest Melby1980

My mother has a 55 gallon tank she started a few years ago at work she keeps several orandas she ended up bringing one of them hom to put in her tank here because she got a blue lobster and it's wen was overgrown so it sits at the bottom a lot. I just learned that you can trim the wen but this one's growth is so severe that I am afraid to trim it. I did a little trimming today, but out of fear of stressing the fish out I didn't complete the trimming today. How long should I allow the fish to heal before attempting to trim again (It didn't help that I was nervous myself) the fish appears fine and happy to have regained a small amount of vision on at least one side. It's fins are getting pretty beat up from an angel in the tank which she will be taking to work with her to avoid any more "picking". I have a photo of the fish though it is all the same color so it's difficult to see.

Orandawenovergrowth.jpg

Also I was wondering how much to "trim" as it is so severe that the head weighs more than the fish. I feel so bad for the poor little aquatic friend :cry1

I wouls wait a few days. also, It doesnt matter if the fish's eyes are covered or not. they can do just fine with out being able to see. Also, sometimes the eye will be supported by the wen, and if you trim too much, the eye may not be supported anymore. The only time a wen would need to be trimed is if it covered the gills and the mouth.

btw, :welcome

Guest Melby1980

Ok well as far as I can see the gills and mouth are fine, but the fish was bumping into a lot of things and just pretty much sits in the corner of the tank. It seems to eat fine though. I will leave it be for now. It appears a bit happier regardless. I personally have a Shubunkin whom I adore who also needs a tank upgrade soon. (currently in a 29 gallon but is getting quite large so upping to a 75 soon). I have a picture of my "Lunk Head" as I have so lovingly named him/her. I have had lunky for about a year and a half after the original owner decided they didn't care for it in their community tank. It dove out of the net when they were taking it out and got a tear on the (aww crud I alway for get the official name for the fins) base of it's tail. I honestly didn't think it was going to live a week let alone 18 months lol.

109999784_352993694_0.jpg

Guest Melby1980

lol... maybe it just decided that a big head would mean more food?

anyway still I think it is best to trim it somehow if not it seems to be pretty tired.

LOL yeah well "tired" is an understatement when it tries to swim it's pretty much "bounces" around on the bottom of the tank with an occasional trip to the surface. It rarely moves actually I just feel so bad for the poor thing.

edited to add:

I am going to see if I can get some more recent pics uploaded since the above one is about 3 months old and it is actually in a lot worse shape than when that was taken.

ok... that is very serious overgrowth.. when anyway since it is still feeding right? then you can slowly do some of the trimming so as not to stress the fish (and yourself XD) too much.

Guest Melby1980

Ok now I just need to find out where to trim and how much I should trim lol. I wish there was a vet in the area unfortunately I live in an anti-goldie state (Maine) No koi allowed as well as several other species of goldies we are pretty much limited to the pom poms, orandas, Ryukins, Shubunkin and comets. I would die if they made Shubunkin illegal as well because I have my big lunk head, but the way the state is going it is a very good possibility, the most recent outlaw is the plecostumus (the common variety) as they are also supposed to be an "invasive" species. grrrr.

Yep, I'd definitely say that that needs trimming! If it was me, I'd focus first on the areas farthest from the head, like the top and back.

I've never needed to do a trim before, so I have no idea how much would be safe to cut off in one go. But I'd expect that if you were to cut off a larger chunk*, there would be a higher risk of infection, so it might be best to gradually remove the excess in little bits over several weeks or even months, giving your fishy time to heal and recuperate between trimmings.

I wish the best of luck to you and your little fishy!

*assuming that removal of a larger chunk would mean a larger wound. There are cases where a large piece will only be attached by a thread, in which case a large amount can be removed with little damage.

Headgrowth actually does have very little blood supply, or none at all. There shouldn't be bleeding when trimming the wen.

I assume that he only bumps into things because its a new tank for him. Its just a physical handicap, and the headgrowth actually is heavy. So, that together with the lack of visual stimulation makes him sit at the bottom a lot. When the fish gets used to where things are in the tank, he will not run into them all that much.

Does he get his fair share of food? He looks a bit skinny to me. That also could be since so much energy goes into supporting that headgrowth. A lot of orandas with such an overgrown wen don't get much body mass to them. Personally, I love those overgrown wen, but even I agree that this one needs just a little help... :)

When I saw that wen (little pun there) I thought GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS!! Good Grief! Keep us posted on how he's doing! As well as how You are doing....I say that because if I had to trim myself (THANKFULLY THAT HASN'T HAPPENED HERE Y E T!) I would be a nervous wreck!! Hope all goes well!

Guest Melby1980

he's been in the tank for about 8 months now. I noticed that when it tries to get food off the bottom (since it can't see food floating nor get to food floating) the wen actually prevents him from eating off the bottom, so i atually don't think it's getting too much food. We are going to try to do some more trimming tonight so keep us in your prayers if you pray.

Guest Melby1980

Ok so we just finished the trimming, here are some pics of what was trimmed off. It seems happier, lighter and more active at the moment, and actually doesn't seem too stressed out. Added some stress coat to the tank due to having to handle her/him though.

orandaheadop3.jpg

orandaheadop2.jpg

orandaheadop.jpg

have you tried feeding him/her already? I believe since it feels lighter it should get more food now. giving it enough food is really very important during this stage as it helps it stay healthy and helps fight the possible stress between its trimming better.

That is a nice job there! :thumb: Where did you take off the most?

Guest Melby1980

Oh WOW! lol well lets see I will try to answer all of your questions :)

Fishy has been eating, and swimming much better I will post some pics as soon as I can :)

How I did it... well I waited for a quiet time of day and basically had a large bowl with the tank water and a dab of stress coat, I had someone hold fishy gently so basically just it's head was out of the water. Before I trimmed I watched it swim and observed where it would be best to trim after that I just made the trims where I thought it would help :)

Mainly I concentrated on the front and sides because that is where most of the weight was that was keeping fishy face down and keeping it from being able to eat.

I hope I answered everyones questions. I just took it slow and easy and prayed... A LOT lol.

Archived