Danio Or White Clouds W/ My Fantail? Plus Stocking Question.

Guest dsmgirl

Guest dsmgirl

You guys have been a great help to me in the past. I inherited a 20gal with 3 goldfish and a pleco. (A bit crowded.) So, I've bought a 72gal bowfront, and now it's a tad empty looking. So guess who gets new fish! The problem is, I've been researching forever and going in circles, so maybe you can help...

Here's where I'm at right now:

* 72gal bowfront (48 x 18 x 22 I think).

* Eheim 2128 filter (way over-filtered to compensate for the dirty fish)

* Temp is an even 22.5* C, PH is on the high side (7.5-ish), all else looks good (water may be hard?)

* Lots of decor, although I may need more plants. Photo: http://tinyurl.com/2oqu6g

The fish I currently have:

* 1 fantail, about 4 inches long, total.

* 1 common, about 3 inches long, total.

* 1 comet, about 3 inches long, total.

* 1 bristlenose pleco, about 3 inches long, total.

I'd like to have some small schooling fish and I've found the #1 recommendation to be White Clouds. They seem nice, but kinda boring. I like the Zebra Danios and they come recommended often too. I just want to make sure that they wouldn't be too much more likely to nip the fins of my slow fantail. What do you guys think?

How big of a school should I get? just 6? -I'd rather get 8. ...or 10?

Other fish?: I wouldn't mind throwing some ghost shrimp in (even if they get eaten) and I've also thought that I might want to try something that'd take advantage of all the little places that there are to hide in my tank (a dojo loach perhaps?). Or I may have to get another pleco instead since my bristlenose can't seem to keep up with the algae-patrol in his new (HUGE) home...

How much more room would I have left for other fish (if any)? -I've found several calculators, but they all vary so much... I know the goldfish and the pleco are all dirty fish, but I feel some calculators over-compensate. Especially since I'm over-filtered...

I'm anxious to hear your advice.

-Erica

Hey, Danios and whiteclouds are fine with goldfish, but you will find, once your goldies get big enough, you might find the 'disappear' (get eaten) goldfish will eat anything they can get in their mouths and although danios and whiteclouds are fast, it's amazing how they can get caught. -If you're gonna get danios make sure that you've got a secure lid on your tank, they're pretty good jumpers. Getting another bristlenose would be good! Can't say much about dojos as we don't get them where I live. Sometimes they raise black widow tetras in 'cold' water (22 deg would be fine for them) they will 'school' and they're pretty little fish. :)

Guest dsmgirl

Doh.

I started out wanting Tiger Barbs, then found out they'd fin nip for sure. Then I found the Black Skirt Tetras (they're the same as black widows, right?). If they wouldn't fin nip, I'd get those for sure. I'm just worried about my stupid fantail. He bullies the other 2 goldfish, but he's so slow and clumsy I'm afraid his fins would be lunch if I put him with anything likely to nip. Feedback on black skirt tetras would also be appreciated.

(Geez, now my selection is growing -this isn't a good sign!)

As for the lid, mine's very secure and there are no gaps over a quarter inch, so that shouldn't be a problem.

-Erica

Any barbs (except perhaps cherry barbs, but they're true tropical fish and not suitable for your tank condition) will bite, they're evil fish and should not be kept in even a general community tropical tank, they need to be with other 'aggressive' types. usually other barbs!

I've never heard of black widows being called black skirts, but I just go00gled them and yup they're the same fish. Unless they're used to being in cold water where you buy them from it's probably not the best idea to put them into your cold water setup.

My recommendation is, if you've never had whiteclouds before, give em a go, they're sweet little fish, really hardy, and if you've got enough they might even breed for you! They're not aggressive, not even to slow old goldies, the problem you'll have is your goldies eating the white clouds. Danio's can be a little aggressive, but if you've got a school of them, they're more likely to fight amongst themselves than to pick on any goldfish present. I'd say one or the other. ;)

Guest dsmgirl

Alright, no surprises, the White Clouds are the safe choice, so I'll probably go with them.

Any opinions on how many to get? I was thinking maybe 8 or 10, but I'd like to leave room for other fish if possible.

...so how about the stocking? -After the White Clouds will I be too crowded for one more bristlenose pleco and/or one other fish (maybe dojo loaches, but I know they don't like to be kept as singles, so I'd have to get 2?)

...if there's a better place to ask the stocking question, let me know.

-Erica

Guest dsmgirl

Thanks for the suggestion, Kristi. They look a bit too much like the goldfish I already have, though. I was hoping to add some variety...

**FISH STORE RANT**

At this point, I'm fairly sure I'm going with the White Clouds. In fact, I went to my favorite pet/fish store to buy them yesterday. I try to spend my money with this particular store because I've seen a lot of problems with diseases like fin rot or just plain ignorance/lack of care for the fish in the other stores in the area. Well, "my store" was cycling a new 55gal fish tank with probably 50 small goldfish, half of which were dead and stuck in/on the filter intake. Now, I understand the circle of life, and I'm no animal activist, but I would have rather not seen it. It was on full display for all to see along with their other (beautiful) tanks! Gah! I mean, I'm a total newbie with fish, but I managed to cycle my tank in less than a week without harming a single fish in the process. It's been up and running with fish for a month now, no problems. Granted, I stocked it slowly while they'll probably have a big order of fish coming in for the tank, but still...

**RANT DONE** Oh, and they didn't have the White Clouds anyway...

...I guess I'll pick up the White Clouds from one of the "bad stores" tonight. I'll definitely keep them quarantined as many have suggested here. I think I'll also pick up another bristlenose pleco since my white rock is turning green pretty fast! I love the one I already have but he's been slacking!

The only thing I'm still not totally sure of how to figure out, is whether or not I'll have enough room for any other fish after my purchases tonight. Here's where I'll be:

* 72gal tank

* Eheim 2128 filter

* 1 fantail, 4in long including tail

* 2 commons, 3in long each including tail

* 8-10 White Clouds

* 2 bristlenose pleco's, 3-in long each including tail.

What do you think?

-Erica

IMO, you would be pretty well stocked at that level. That will give all fish room to grow.

I think you will be very pleased with the white clouds. Most people think they are quite boring, but when they mature in your home tank, they become quite colourful. I love their red noses. Also, as mentioned previously, they will breed readily. Unfortunately, the goldfish will eat the eggs, but every now and then a little one survives in my tank. They are amazing looking. They look like very bright neon tetras when they are juveniles.

I have a group of 7 white clouds in my 70 gallon goldfish tank, and I have never had a goldfish eat one of them. The white clouds are getting quite elderly now. I have had them 3 years. A couple of them are younger, being fry that survived.

Good luck with them and please keep us posted!

Um, nobody has mentioned it... and I'm not too sure about cannister filters in general... but the Eheim Professional 2 2128 only pumps 277 gallons per hour.

You've got it on a 72 gallon tank... that seems a bit low to me. I know that cannisters, particularly Eheims are really well set up when it comes to biological filtration, but can that compensate for the extremely low gph?

Guest dsmgirl

Hmm... I'd definitely like opinions on whether I'm underfiltered. I bought the Eheim 2128 because it was rated for aquariums up to 150gal. I figured that since mine's less than half that size I'd be fine. -In fact, I thought I'd be fine with one model down, but I stepped up to the 2128 to be on the safe side!

I did a lot of research before purchasing the Eheim 2128. From many people's experiences, I read that it's difficult to compare filters from gph ratings alone because it doesn't account for their efficacy. Brands like Fluvial have higher GPH ratings because the way they are made, some water is able to bypass the filtration. With my Eheim all of the water is filtered, which decreases GPH, but increases efficacy...

Still, I'd love to hear from others about whether my filtration is adequate or not. I'd hate to change my filtration system (I LOVE this filter!!!), but I'd definitely like to know if I'm considered "underfiltered" rather than "overfiltered" as I previously thought!

As for a fish update: I got 8 White Clouds last night from one of my less-preferred stores. The water they were in flowed through about 20 different partitioned off aquariums with tiny holes in-between to let the water pass through. The problem? There were tropicals in that row. The WC's were in water that had to be over 80*F -it almost felt hot! They are kinda pale too, but I hope their color comes back when they're being properly taken care of. I let them cool down slow last night, and as of this morning they are doing well in the quarantine tank. Thanks for your help with the Danio vs WC choice, Tosakin!

They are mostly likely just stressed, so are pale. They really are pretty little fish when well cared for. I just love their red lips :D Good luck with them.

I don't have experience with eheim filters, so I can't help you there. Maybe a post in the tanks and equipment section would help with some opinions.

Hmm... I'd definitely like opinions on whether I'm underfiltered. I bought the Eheim 2128 because it was rated for aquariums up to 150gal. I figured that since mine's less than half that size I'd be fine. -In fact, I thought I'd be fine with one model down, but I stepped up to the 2128 to be on the safe side!

I did a lot of research before purchasing the Eheim 2128. From many people's experiences, I read that it's difficult to compare filters from gph ratings alone because it doesn't account for their efficacy. Brands like Fluvial have higher GPH ratings because the way they are made, some water is able to bypass the filtration. With my Eheim all of the water is filtered, which decreases GPH, but increases efficacy...

Still, I'd love to hear from others about whether my filtration is adequate or not. I'd hate to change my filtration system (I LOVE this filter!!!), but I'd definitely like to know if I'm considered "underfiltered" rather than "overfiltered" as I previously thought!

The general rule is 10x the tank capacity. 72 gallon tank would need 720GPH. However cannisters provide such good biological filtration, that you might need less, I'm not sure. Right now you are sitting at about 3.8x.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of your Eheim all together, as it is a very good filter from everything I have heard. I'd want one myself, I just don't have the money.

Most people with as large of tanks as yours (and even smaller ones) have multiple filters. You could run another cannister, but for extremely good mechanical filtration, HOB power filters tend to be a better choice from what I have read. I personally like the Marineland Penguin filters. The same company makes the Emperors, which I have not used, but would really like to. The largest Penguin filter pumps 350 GPH, and the largest Emperor pumps 400 GPH. AquaClear filters seem to be popular as well, the 110 pumps 428 GPH.

There are other filter option, it is up to you what you want to use.

• 2 weeks later...

It has got to be a pain in the tailfins to get a big ole filter only to be told it isn't enough! I KNOW IT IS cause I have been told that myself.

When I got a deal on my big tank (it was supposed to come with filters & everything.....never saw THAT stuff!) All I had was a variety of small HOB's! :o Not NEAR enough! My son went out and surprized me with a AQ110! I was thrilled & I couldn't believe how HUGE it was! Then I was soon told I was STILL way under filtered! I got ANOTHER AQ110 (S T I L L underfiltered!!) & later a dear friend blessed me with a canister that FINALLY put me over the top!!

So save your nickels & dimes for your future filters! And for now....water changes & more water changes!

Thank goodness goldfish are so pretty & wonderful.....or else we could NOT forgive their messiness!!! :exactly

Any barbs (except perhaps cherry barbs, but they're true tropical fish and not suitable for your tank condition) will bite, they're evil fish and should not be kept in even a general community tropical tank, they need to be with other 'aggressive' types. usually other barbs

Gold barbs are good! I have 2 and they are peaceful with all the other fish in the tank--no nipping or anything. They kinda look like little gf, too. Here's a link to pic of one of mine--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/arabpaso/det...scd.jpg&.src=ph

Guest fishcrazy101

well if you have not goten new fish yet i would get rosy red minnows only 12 cents a pop and there are so cool :):bingo:

Archived