Overfed/constipated Fish

Guest chanc2ride

Guest chanc2ride

hi its been awhile since i been here, FLASH my fish has been doing great, all healthy looking skin now, just a little problem now. he has big poop ( lots of it) trails behind him, ive noticed this for about a week, learned from here overfeeding /constipated. I have two fish, one is a smaller fish, but flash, the bigger one, has this problem. today i noticed he is resting near the top with his tail down, not gasping though, just unusual. Is this part of the indigestion? I read dont feed for 3 days, will this be starving the little one? I give them a pinch once a day only. Or should i just cut back to 1/2 what i give them?

thanks, i fought so hard to make him healthy from a very sick fish a year and 1/2 ago, and i dont want to lose him now.

any input would be appreciated, thanks

Guest under water tea party

oh definitely dont feed. they dont have stomachs.so gas must suck! im sure youre little one wont starve. give it a few days then give peas (the old standby)

i usually boil mine for aminute, squeeze from the skin once cool then squish a little, else my fish seem to 'chew'for a long time.

Guest chanc2ride

ok ty, i will try to get some peas, not sure if i can. I guess wetting the flakes would help too, i used to do that when i first got him a year ago .

Is the chilling out at the top with iwth tail heading towards downwards, sign of constipation? just wondering, as i never seen him do that, then again i never seen big poop like this either. \

I havent changed how much i feed lately, but it is a bit colder with it being winter ( i read colder temps feed them less, on this site somewhere

i'm no expert...

but you're right in saying temp can affect the fish.

since i don't have a heater on my tank, temps can range from 68F in the winter to 78F during the summer. i tend to feed less during the winter since my moor is less 'active' and more mellow during those months. i haven't come across any problems since i've done that. :)

oh, and i feed him 4 cooked peas once a week, which i find works wonders for him since he's very prone to constipation and a little floatiness (if that's even a word!). poor thing will keep trying to swim to the bottom, only to float back up! :ignore even better, he loves peas. goes wild.

Guest chanc2ride

my hubby will only buy the canned peas with sodium ( he eats them not me) he wont let me get any frozen ones for the fish . Hes at the bottom now, seems to go there up top and hang there every so often.

I will try to feed 1/2 what i normally feed and soak it first. The smaller fish seems to be fine.

ty so much, for your advice . Ive learned so much in the past year and 1/2 since i got the fish, and keep on learning new things in this site :) from all the other fish lovers here .

Hi :)

I got a lovely red cap oranda that does that!

As for the canned peas id stay away the soduium/salt is not to good

can you get some fresh or frozen ones?

The color of the poop is good :)

fast 3 days...and no he/she wont starve :)

then feed the peas for 2 days.

just defrost them naturally or if you dont have time nuke them to defrost.

squeeze the pea so the inside pops out in two bits...discard the shell

feed the inside bits. Depending on the sixe of your fish youmay need to break/squash the inside bit soit can fit in his/her mouth.

hope this helps!

I fast my fish on a reg basis and do the pea thing...it realy is good for the digestive tract and they LOVE peas they go insane to get them and grab them off my fingertips :)

Archived