Sign in to follow this  
Guest under water tea party

Buyer Beware, And Be Responsible

Guest under water tea party

while ive worked as a large animal tech for some years, and for pet stores years before college, i admit im no expert. im new to this forum and newish to goldfish (im a former herpt-oholic). ive read a number of members stories of 'rescuing' goldfish, from lfs, wal mart, where have you. to those of you who have succesfully (or not) brought fish home, kept them alive (or not),i first congratulate your efforts but second by saying that by purchasing diseased fish from these establishments,you are still creating revenue for the store that you bought the fish from, and making room for the fish that come to replace them. these are the puppy mill or meth lab equivalents of supply meets demand. for every success story there are twice the not-so-successful stories. just be aware that when you stroll past a tank that has sad guppies or goldfish gazing at you you might be anthromorphizing (humanizing) a little and perpetuating animal wholesaling. send (especially) wal mart and local fish stores that sell unwell animals a message by not spending your pet care dollars there.

Thats a good point but some of us cant stand to watch one little fish die before our eyes. The only reason I dont do this is becuase I dont have money to do this!

Thanks for that little pointer!

Meh....there are as many unwell fish at my local petstore.And I know for a fact that they & my local Mart of Wal get their fish from the same place.Our Mart of Wal takes 100% better care of the fish when they get them though!

I totally agree. I've made a point in the last few years of only buying from the most reputable pet store..not only to deprive the others of buisness, but also to reduce the risk of brining disease into my tank. I recently found out the lfs here with the best deals uses puppy mills..so I bit the bulllet and went to the one that has a no puppy policy..and more expensive prices :(

However...sometimes that one little cute fish still cries out to me too and I give in and take him home. I always feel guilty for supporting the stores, but happy for helping the fish :blink:

Chrissy

I make it a point not to buy from places that obviously don't take care of their fish, if there's a bunch of sick or dead ones, the tanks are disgusting, and so on, I won't buy them; I try hard not to look at them at all so I won't be tempted. I will, however, rescue a fish from a place that puts forth a genuine effort but may not have the means to care for a sick fish. My latest rescue, who sadly dies, was being picked on and had horrible rot. It is my place of work, so I know how he got that way and I know that the fish are taken care of (because I do it!) so I don't feel like I'm causing more harm than good by rescuing one, at least I gave that last one a place to die in peace, and I will be getting a refund on him so the place won't benefit from him.

it is true that if we keep helping these stores by buying their sick fish.. they simply will just bring in more fish and in the end those very fishes will be sick again! so in the end the effort that we put in is to see more healthy fish.. but if we keep giving them the chances to take in more fishes then more fishes will just simply be sick again and again. Unless they learn that they have to take real care of their fishes, with us helping them is not enough.

Edited by Panzz

I've cared for animals all of my life the smallest being the goldfish, the largest 2 llama's. I'd find swans, chickens, lame ducks thrown over my fence on a regular basis. Sick, healthy you name it. Someone once left a baby alligator in a tank on my doorstep, I found him a nice home in a reptile museum. In my neighborhood if you didn't want your pet no matter what it was, it was brought to my house.

When I see something struggle, person/fish no difference to me I'm not thinking 'Gee if I help this fish I'm going to be supporting Billy Joe Bob's Fish Store'. I'm wondering if I can help or make a difference. I have lost several rescues this way. On the flip side right this very moment there are 13 adorable little rescues staring at me right now begging for food. :D The only thing irresponsible about rescues in my opinion is knowingly taking in a sick animal and then not providing it with the care it requires.

Would I rather buy fish from a breeder/store who has healthy fish? Absolutely yes. Will this stop me in the future from trying to rescue a fish, sheep, goat, fandango? Absolutely not.

Edited by Katalyst

I understand that a true rescue comes from the heart, and you are someone who does thing base on what you think, not what others think, just like me. what is best for you and those around you, I think it is good this way as you will go fort and do something regardless of how it would affect the owner of a fish shop or anything!

It is like what the title says.. be responsible. what is important is that we made a difference to the fish's life, but I still think if a rescue is to be done, some measures are to be made to prevent more of such things from happening,(if not why in the first place we want to rescue the fish?) like for example we could just remind the store owners that their fish are not in really good health and hope they will do something about it.If not nothing will change no matter how many fishes(I am only talking about fishes here for now) you can save.

Edited by Panzz

Have to be honest and say that I wouldnt consider buying a fish that looked unhealthy or came from a tank which had obviously ailing/dead companions.

For selfish reasons mainly in that I find it tough dealing with sick fish and or dont really have the facilities to care for them.

I understand about the supply/demand argument but also see why individuals would want to rescue an ailing animal. Its a pity there isnt a goldifsh charity who could managed the neglected!

One of my fish is an lfs rescue, and when I got her she really didn't look too good at all and was having some serious swim bladder issues. However, I visit that particular store almost every week and it's really fairly rare for them to have sick goldfish. Typically at least a couple of the tropical tanks will also have some fish that don't look so well, but generally the fish are quite healthy, and I have no qualms about buying from them.

I have to agree, though, with it being a bad idea to buy from a place that consistently has diseased fish. I really hope that in the future we see less of this sort of thing (the stores with whole tanks of sick and dying fish on a regular basis, I mean), but I doubt that it will ever stop completely, and I think that it's very good that there are those people willing to take a bit of risk and spend a bit of money to save even one or a few individuals. There was a thread posted here recently about a certain large chain store that has earned quite the reputation for poor fish care beginning to cut the fish sections from some of their stores, and that makes me optimistic about the future of fish care and sale in the US.

It'll take a lot of time, but it wasn't all that long ago, really, that it was considered okay to beat dogs and horses and other widely domesticated animals. And now that the ball has been rolling on humane treatment of animals, hopefully it'll soon make it to fish.

I agree. As long as there are animals in the care of humans, there will be abuse, neglect, and ignorance. Not everyone cares about them like we do - for some, it is just another thing to have, or just another job in the case of some of the pet stores. For those people, these fish are just income, and if they get sick, oh well, because more come in next week anyway. While it is noble to try to avoid those places, losing a few customers won't hurt them in the least, and they will go on another day selling sick fish to ignorant buyers.

Someone who was neglectful of her animals gave us a cat because I told her how much I loved him. It was a toss up, because she then had room for another animal to neglect. Every situation is so personal.

Addendum to my previous post, since imtammyo's reminded me; speaking of goldfish specifically:

In the US, particularly, there's the immense matter of overcoming the goldfish bowl mentality. To the vast, vast majority of people, goldfish are cheap little things that can live in a tiny space with a bare minimum of care and only have a lifespan of 2-12 months, tops. In fact, the goldfish bowl has become an American icon: the happy family with their simple little pet; easily obtained, and just as easily replaced.

Most people don't see much, if any, value in goldfish, simply because they've grown up with the idea that goldfish live in bowls (because after all, if that wasn't the case, then wouldn't their parents have told them differently?). And until they do, it won't even enter their minds that what they're doing is cruel.

Many of these people do love their goldfish, and care for them as best they can, but they just. Don't. Know. And, as imtammyo mentioned, there are others who just don't care. It's just a fish, or it's just a job.

And so there are many stores with tanks full of ailing and dying goldfish, and many buyers and employees don't see a big problem with it, because they're just cheap little fish and if they die then there'll always be an endless and plentiful supply to replace them.

The super mart of walls need me seems to only care for their goldfish. Most of the tropicals have dead fish in the tank but thats mainly because they sick non aggressive fish in with aggressive fish. Every time I go in I am so tempted to buy one of their bubble eyes because they always have great bubble and STRAIGHT backs, but since they only sell orange ones, I've been holding off.

My mmm, doesn't even have that many goldfish. Just 3 tanks and thy only sell babies. They are average when it comes to care. vvvv is GREAT! Beautiful tanks, a little packed, but its only temporary.

Instead of not rescuing fish, there are other alternatives goldie fans can take. Ask the store if you can pass out care sheets and pamphlets about proper goldfish care. Share knowledge with friends. One day people witll understand it.

The people who work at my local vvvvv are fairly educated. Sure, they get some stuff wrong, but it nothing that would cause the fish to much trouble. In fact I found one of the clerks positively annoying because she wouldn't stop lecturing me on goldfish and I didn't have the heart to correct or tell her to leave me alone. After thinking about I was a little happy she "attacked" me so assertively. Since I already knew the stuff, and generally don't enjoy talking to people I don't know I didn't really want to listen but I'm sure someone who is new to fish and interested would really benefit from listening to her.

So far I've never rescued. I only buy what appeals to me. and hope the other fish get a good home. Can't save them all!

Thats just my 2 cents.

Was happy to see species specific care sheets available at my local vvvv yesterday - hadn't seen those before. Another move in the right direction. The info inside was mostly correct, I was pleasantly surprised.