Bio-spira And My Params

smwilliams

ok, so i tired the bio-spira stuff on both my tanks.

i have a 29 gal with 3 roughly 2.5" goldies. tank's been running since jan 8th with 300gph filtration. temp at 70-72 degrees F. today's readings were .25ppm ammonia, 1.0ppm nitrite, and 10ppm nitrate. since i put in the bio-spira (saturday) the nitrate has gone up about 5ppm. i was going through the nitrite spike prior to adding it. i didn't add as much as i was supposed to of the bio-spira, because it treated 30 gal and i split it between the two tanks. is it normal to take this long to cycle??? i am committed but really tiring of it. i bought a python to ease my pain but it didn't fit my faucet.

on the other hand...

10 gal with 2 1" dwarf puffers. running since thursday (2/22). 80 degrees F. added bio-spira saturday. friday i read .25 ammonia, so i know it was already present. ok, so today i tested and read 0ppm ammonia, 1ppm nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. is it possible that this tank will be cycled in a few more days? i put some media from my bigger filter in to start with, i don't know if that has helped, or if it was the bio-spira... also it's been kept warmer.

i don't know if the 29 gal is being difficult or if the 10 gal is too good to be true. any thoughts???

Your older tank may have a little more than it can handle, so your cycling is going to take longer.

As far as the bio-spira, I'm not surprised you're seeing a shift in your cycle. That's what bio-spira does -- it's a form of dormant nitrifying bacteria that's pre-packaged for your convenience. The true test is whether or not it will remained cycled after you've run out.

BioSpira is a slurry of free beneficail bacteria - the types that process ammonia and nitrite. When you add it to the tank, the bacteria will "activate" and start to process the wastes.

BioSpira (bacteria) like it warmer - so it is not suprising the the warmer tank was doing a bit better....

BioSpira bacteria are in the water, though, when you add them. They are NOT attached to the media in a filter. They can and will process plenty of waste from the water, but not as much as they would were they attached to a platform of media where the waste passes by regularly and there is plenty of oxygen.

It will take at least a week for the majority of the bacteria from the BioSpira slurry to attach to your media. Until they do, when/if you do a water change, you will be pouring the good bacteria that you paid for down the drain. This is the HUGE pitfall of using BioSpira in a tank that contains fish you are trying to protect as the tank cycles.....

You need to try to keep that nitrite lower than 1ppm if you can - perhaps with judicial use of Prime or Amquel+..... nitrite is by far the most insidiously toxic thing in a cycling tank....

Sounds like you are almost there, though! :)

Archived