Hermit's Night Out

jsrtist

I made an interesting discovery earlier as I was cleaning my bathroom? a little hermit crab hiding behind the toilet!! :o I was doing a deep clean on my crabitat last night and had the lids off to air out the tank a little. We were both in the room for most of the night so I don't know how we missed seeing this little guy escape!

I have tons of wires in and around my tank so I'm sure he just climbed down them. He is the smallest one in my tank, too, and I accidentally dug him up while cleaning last night. Luckily I found him before he'd been out too long. He took refuge in the bathroom because it's the darkest and warmest room.

Just a warning to fellow hermie owners out there. These little guys are quick! In all my years of keeping them (it will be 20 years in a month or so!) I've never had an escapee!

:rofl Well Jen,I'm glad that you found him quick enough. I too had it happen once.I was so busy trying to clean the tank,add new food,and yet keep the cat's out of the tank,(they love investigating unknown sands :rolleyes: )that somehow one managed to escape me also.I was watching TV later that night in the dark,and saw his little butt strolling across the hardwood floor,like he didn't have a care in the world..

They're alot faster than people think. :rofl

I had a hermit crab as a kid, he wasn't kept how he should have been I now learned but he lived a good 5 years with me, anyway,he escaped and we found him in the laudry fresh out of the dryer, I guess it was warm! He was always escaping, so we named him Houdini!

So pleased your little one is safe and sound. :)

Sharon thats so cool your little one just crossing the room without a care in the world. :)

:rofl that's hilarious ! Crab behind the toilet, and hiking over floors and in the laundry- reminds me of the Dr Dolittle movie with animals, rodents and little fuzzy furry and sleek backed creatures running around the house and taking up residence in just about any warm nook they can find. Mmm, actually sounds rather nice :D

Archived