Suddenly Sick Fish

whiskersdolmio

emm were new to this but have two sick fish :( (

The tank is 20L. The water has just been changed and the fish arent doin too good which leads me to think its a problem wiv the water. One fish is simply staying at the bottom of the tank and not eating while the other is mouthing the water and frequently makes a dash for the top of the tank, this one however has been eating less than usual however. The water was filted prior to putting it in the tank but we dont have a test kit or anything of the sort. We feed the fish flaked food.

THANK YOU

PLEASE HELP US!!!

Cian & Jen

Guest MidnightClyde

Hi whiskers,

I'm probably not the person you want to be seeking help from becuase I'm fairly new myself, but it sounds as if you're frantic and your fish are in really bad shape.

First off, 20L is about 5 gals correct? Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that tank is much too small for one....much less two goldfish. Fancy Goldfish (double-tailed) need at least 10 gal per fish.... single tailed goldfish need at least 20 per fish.

Can you answer any of the questions at the top of this page for us?

(The more, the better) I see you've answered a few of them, but can you answer any others...specifically how often do you change the water... how much do you change out.... are these the only two fish in the tank?

Also, is there any way you can go to a local fish store / nooppee / vvvv and pick up some water test strips (To test nitrite, nitrate, ph, ammonia, etc.)? There could be a number of things wrong with your fish and these values really help us to narrow down the possibilities.

My guess is that it's a water problem due to an overstocked tank and that a water change would help these fish a lot. Wait on someone a little more experienced to help you out further... it shouldln't be long

Howdy,

i just realised its a 45L tank which would make it round 10gals...ish These cuys look like the fish at the bottom of the page. One has telescopic eyes and the other is identical to the orange one at the bottom of the page. we change the water rnd once a week, usually bout a third of it. there are only two wee guys in the water.

Guest MidnightClyde

Okay, round two of questions that can help others:

Do you have any filters on your tank? What kind, if any?

Are either of the fish's fins frayed or blood-streaked?

Can you tell us the color of the inside of the fish's gills? (Red, white, ?)

Any open sores?

Is your fish 'yawning' a lot or swimming around with his mouth open?

Most importantly... is there any way you can get a set of the 6-in-1 test strips any time soon? (They aren't expensive... most W.Marts have them...vvvv/mmm.... Fish store)

Again... I hate I can't help you further, but I'm attempting to speed up the process by getting all the info I can for the more experienced folks.

okay, cheers for the help man....

yes a very samll filter about the size of a mobile phone (long) and 2 mobile thick!! it has a small mesh filter made from plastic and uses a very small impeller. i know this is very limted but it in my gf's house and i dont rem the name :/

no damaged fins that i can see

no sores

my telescopic fish is mouthing the air above the water and keeps making a dash for it and is kind of yawning under water.

The golden one is worrying me though as she is just sitting at the bottomof the tank towards the back.....

Hi and welcome to the site. As our member stated above you are overstocked. So the first thing we are going to have to investigate is the water quality.

You will need to test the water asap. I don't recommend strip tests (as mentioned above) due to their inaccuacy. Drop tests are much more reliable and in an overstocked tank you are going to need to be accurate.

Until you can get the tests, I would recommend a 75% water change. Make sure to temp match the new water so you don't shock them.

Once we get a handle on what is going on with the water we can go from there. Water quality is much more precious than any medication out there. So it will be the main focus for a bit.

Midnightclyde, thanks for the help even though you are still learning it helps us to have others help where they can!!!

Archived