One Of My Goldfish Looks As Though Its Swallowed A Marble.

Guest delbert

Guest delbert

I've had these goldfish for a year or so now and one of them looks as though its swallowed a marble.

I've read up on diseases to see if there was anything like this, but all I found was that the goldfish may be constipated. I've separated the goldfish and fed it peas as this apparently acts as laxative. The fish seems fine and active and there are no signs of being an unwell fish apart from this swollen appearance.

Has anyone got any ideas what this might be. Advice appreciated.

Guest delbert

There appears to be mess in the tank, so I would say that the pooing is o.k.

The scales aren't protruding, I presume that you may have suspected dropsy. I read that this would basically kill the fish in days, but this fish has been looking this way for some time now.

Not too sure what you mean about the colour of the poo. What could be determined from this then?

The poo should be the color of his food. If it is white and stringy or has air bubbles there may be some kind of problem such as a bacterial infection or parasites. :)

Another thing that it may be is egg impaction. What is the size of this fish? Does he swim normally, bottom sit a lot, flip upside down?

Guest delbert

The fish is about 2.5 to 3 inches long in body. The fish is very active coming up for food etc. That's why I pretty stumped about what could be the problem. I would have thought that if it were something severe then the fish would be slow and showing physical signs of a problem.

If the fish wasn't passing the food efficiently what course of action could I take to sort this out?

Well it looks like you tried peas already. If the fish is pooing then its not constipated.

Can you list as many things in the box above for us as possible? This will help the experts sort it out and maybe come to a diagnosis.

where is the bump on the fish's body?

My fish had a little lump on his side that I think turned out to be a pimple or cyst. It eventually got a white head and his scales were looking a little funny so I treated with Maracyn Two just in case of dropsy or some kind of bacterial thing and now he is A-okay.

It looked like a pea was under his scales on the side.

Hi Delbert, welcome to the site.

I have moved your thread to the diagnosis area, above you will see a box of questions. We need you to answer them for us.

Once we have further information we can better speculate as to what may be going on.

Again welcome, post back soon and we'll go from there.

where is the bump on the fish's body?

My fish had a little lump on his side that I think turned out to be a pimple or cyst. It eventually got a white head and his scales were looking a little funny so I treated with Maracyn Two just in case of dropsy or some kind of bacterial thing and now he is A-okay.

It looked like a pea was under his scales on the side.

One of my new fish had the same pimple thing. It was a bump that eventually ruptured. My research led me to believe it was an ulcer caused by flukes. Treating with prazi to kill the flukes and metro meds seems to have cured the problem.

~mark

:) Hi delbert,and welcome to the forum.Before we can go on,I'd like you to answer as many questions up above as you can,just so that we know all the facts before trying to diagnose. :)

And if I may ask,Was this lump,long time coming,or did it appear to happen overnight>Post soon!

Archived