Color Change Question

autisticfish

I know goldies can lose their black, but can they ever develop black markings?

I've read that black markings showing up on a goldfish usually indicate an ammonia burn, however, I haven't had any significant ammonia in my tank (and I test the water at least every second day, since I'm in the tail end of my cycle). Nemo is developing a black moustache. There was no sore there first - just one day, about a week ago, she had a bit of a grey rim to her upper lip. It's gradually darkened and spread, so that she now has a definite moustache. My water is good, there's no visible disease in the tank, all the fish, including Nemo, are doing great. So could this be a color change?

I know goldies can lose their black, but can they ever develop black markings?

I've read that black markings showing up on a goldfish usually indicate an ammonia burn, however, I haven't had any significant ammonia in my tank (and I test the water at least every second day, since I'm in the tail end of my cycle). Nemo is developing a black moustache. There was no sore there first - just one day, about a week ago, she had a bit of a grey rim to her upper lip. It's gradually darkened and spread, so that she now has a definite moustache. My water is good, there's no visible disease in the tank, all the fish, including Nemo, are doing great. So could this be a color change?

I think there are many threads on the topic of increasing black pigmentation on the forum. Some topics of interest include lighting (brightness and/or wavelength), outdoor or indoor, algae, etc.

I suppose as long as your parameters are in check, then there's not really much else to worry about. Just keep an eye on him, make sure he isn't having any problems and see if black occurs anywhere else on his body.

Archived