More Puffer Pics

smwilliams

you know that's funny... see, my pirate husband, he collects these little miniature ships that make a playing game. well i hijacked the playing board he made (supposed to look like the ocean) and put the tank on it with those little ships all around it. it's pretty cool because you can see the ships through the tank. sort of a 3-d immersion look or something.

and after we decided on naming then johnny and june... i realized i kind of have two fish names john/johnny now... i am such a ditz. oh well, i don't think they'll mind.

thanks you guys! i got them some pest snails today and they went crazy for them! i bought twelve... hopefully they survive at least a week in there, cuz at the lfs they're 30 cents a peice. maybe the remaining snails will make babies in my tank. it was sad though, i felt bad for the snails. also got mysis shrimp... supposed to be for finicky eaters? haven't tried that yet but we'll see. i know anything they won't eat my hoggy goldies will!

how cute are they?

-Have you thought of setting up a small tank to breed the snails seperately from the puffers. once you've got your own colony you wouldn't have to spend money buying each one seperately... :) From what I can tell about puffers, they're pretty voracious eaters, and wouldn't give the snails much time to grow to a decent size before snaffling them up.

That Mads is a smart lady! :goodpost You know that saying, they breed like rabbits? It really should be they breed like pest snails! :rofl soon you'll have a colony large enough to feed your puffers till they pop! and all it would take is a rubbermaid container to grow 'em in.

i've wondered about this. i would do it... but do the snails need all the things fish do? or can you stick em in a rubbermaid and let em go at it? do they need filter, food, light...etc? common sense would tell me yes... but i have been wrong in the past.

great pics! they always swim together don't they? haha, and I have lots of those pest snails too. you just need to have light for some algae growth as food for them and you can just leave them there! and I was really surprised how fast they breed and GROW!

Those are some very cute pictures! For the snails they only thing you really need to do is have light a some things for them to lay their eggs on of course becuase I don't think they will lay them just on the bottom, I think they need like plants and things to lay their eggs on. I could be wrong though, so I am sure someone can come and make things a little clearer!

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Seriously all they need is water dechlorinated of course, but they will lay eggs anywhere including a filter, I have had to throw out a filter infested with pest snail eggs anything that doesn't move is fair game for egg laying! They are not discriminatory at all when it comes to laying eggs.

Cute fish! I just love their faces :)

Ooh!! And I have some of those ships too! I used to work at Toys R Us and found them, they're just too cool! I even got one of the tins. I'm not that big of a ship person, but those things are addictive.

oh yes, my hubby has the tins =) he got them a couple different places, but mostly from toys-r-us. now he's moved on to more expensive pirate indulgences... LIKE HISTORICAL REPLICAS.

but that's an excuse for me to spend money on fish :D

Archived