Ph 6.6

55 gal tank

3 adult over 4year old gold fish

5 year old babies (bred in tank)

Tank has been running for a year and a half

filters are Whisper 60's (2)

UV protector

I have been treating fin rot with tetracycline

One of my older fish I noticed has on both eyes a little white dot the size of a salt grain, dead center. I haven't found any literature on this so I am not sure as to what it is or if it needs to be treated. This fish is probably around 6 years old, so I don't imagine it is old age...

I'd be thankful for any advice.

Goldcrazy

Guest goldcrazy

I don't know what my nitrate level is and 6.6 is higher than it has been in the last several months. I have been changing out 20-30% of the water because of the tetracycline every 2nd or 3rd day, otherwise I try to do it once a week (I'm not always perfect though). The other fish are fine, and even this one doesn't display any "sick" feelings as far as I can tell.

I am just a tad frustrated here... This is something that I haven't seen before.

Goldcrazy

Oh, my ph out of the tap is 7.6. I use a product called Ph7 for my tank, perhaps I am putting in too much.

Goldcrazy

Is pH7 a buffer to make any high or low into 7 or just one of those up-down chemicals?

I think pH7.6 out of the tap is fine for goldies, so you may want to lessen the amount of pH7 you use with each water change until you don't use any.

Is there a reason why you chose to use this product? Were you having any pH fluctuations previously?

Archived