A Question About Oranda Breeding

devinzbaby

Ok, so I still have my little red-cap oranda that i bought at mmm. I've had her for about a month now. She is growing very fast. But i have no idea what age she is. I would love to breed her when she gets older, but she is my first godfish ever and i don't know a lot of things about goldfish yet.

So i was wondering. Since she (i think its a she?) is a red-cap oranda, will she only have red-cap oranda fry if she breeds with another red-cap oranda, or can she breed with a blue or black oranda and still have a chance to get a few red-caps out of the bunch?

she is in a 2 gallon by herself right now, and i have her water tested on a weekly basis and the water tests prove its perfect. Next week i plan on buying her a 10 gallon tank, but i might just get a 20 gallon and buy her a friend.

And even looking at that golfish sexing piture, i still can't tell if she is a girl or boy....If i try to take some pictures of her can any of you tell me what you think?

I named it grettle, so i hope she is a girl. lol.

it can be hard to tell the sex of a goldfish until they reach breeding season. the males will develope white bumps on his gill covering and edges of pectorial fins. the females will become plump as she is carring the eggs. sure take some pics we would luv to see!

Oh goodness. i will go measure her. lol.

ok she is about 2 inches just her head to her tail, 3 inches including the length of her tail. I think she is way too young to make babies. lol.

theese are some picturs of her (i think her)

100_0456.jpg

100_0454.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0452.jpg

So this is her. She has to wait until Wednesday until i can buy her a bigger tank. I figure i will buy her a 10 gallon for now. I still will need to get her a filter tho.

I will post more pictures soon.

Just to let you know, breeding and raising fry can be costly, so you may want to save up a good nest-egg if you're set on going down that route.

As far as sexing, as the fish gets larger you'll notice their anal ports a little better. Females will have a slight protrusion while makes will be flat.

As far as the fry go, you're going to get a whole range of types of babies. Obviously they'll be a mixing of the parent's characteristics and maybe a few that seem to have characteristics out of nowhere. mmm fish aren't exactly known for their pedigree. :)

Thanks. :)

I will make sure that i have all he supplies and $$ needed to care for the fry. I probably will not even attempt to breed goldfish until i have at least a few spare tanks, and until My fiance and i move out of my parents house.

I might get a job at vvvv! they are highering, and i woul get a big disscount on supplies. :)

Ok so i got a 10 gallon today, i set it up, and will be putting grettle in it tomorrow. I also bought a little Red oranda just because i thought maybe she needed a friend. So they will be staying in my new 10 gallon until April when My fiance's sister will give us her 20 gallon, because she is moving to florida and doesn't want to take her tank with her. But if i post pictures of them in the new tank tomorrow, can you guys help me try to find out if they are boys, girls or one of each? one of each would be great! :)

Hi Jenny :)

As mentioned, we won't be able to sex your fish for you but there's a couple of ways you can. My male redcap has breeding spots on his gill covers and can be seen from an angle. Females of breeding age will have clear gill covers but their anal port will protrude slightly whereas the male's will indent slightly.

Also whenever you introduce a new fish without quarantine, keep an eye on both because new fish have a habit of infecting the new environment either with parasites or bacteria. This is why the argument for quarantine is so strong - as it's an insurance policy for your healthy fish and tank :)

i just keep looking, and they look a lot alike? They might both be girls or both be boys? I dont see any breeding spots on either of them at the moment. maybe they are not ond enough to breed? I can't really get a good look at their "bottoms" at the moment, but tomorrow i will make sure to investigate.

I don't know if it just the pic but in the 2nd one it looks like there are tiny bumps on the pec fins.

Can you get a close up?

If they are there and its not my wonky eyesight then I would say you have a young male prob just coming "of age"

As for size my female was only 3 inch including tail when she laid eggs I thought she was too young, I assumed I bought a baby but I guess I got her at 3 years old and she must of been stunted in some way from her previous conditions.

:D it is very hard with white fish as the bumps are white. I knew where to look as my Lucy (named after Lucielle Ball) is a red cap aswell. I thought she was a she when I got her cause they just look girlie but then the bumps apeared and she is a he!!!

I never changed Lucy/s name and i often call Lucy she to this day even after I found out the gender

OH CRAP! GRETTLE IS A BOY!!! oh no! I guess i will just call him "noodle" for now....I wonder what my new red oranda is.....i hope a girl. My fiance wanted to name him Larry, but we will name it grettle if its a girl. lol. I will go take pictures of them together. I introduced them last night and they get along great! :)

OK, theese are them together. I need to know what you guys think of the orange one. boy or girl? i dont see any white spots. so maybe its a girl? because it is bigger in size than the red-cap oranda.

Right now they are both in my 2.5 gallon. they will both be moved to my 10 gallon at 5pm tonight. I just want to make sure the tank is done cycling and ready for them. :)

Here they are.

100_0473.jpg

100_0475.jpg

100_0476.jpg

100_0479.jpg

100_0480.jpg

100_0481.jpg

They were both put into my 10 gallon at around 6pm. They love it, and they seem to be best friends! :) I just don't know if the red one is a boy or girl...? I'm going to go take some more better pictures, as they are now in a glass tank, not a plasticky one.

Ok here are the new pics. Tell me what you think of the red one. I have no idea what it is BOy? girl? But i do not see any white spots or anything like that on his head or his gills or whatever, so possibly a girl?

100_0483.jpg

100_0485.jpg

100_0486.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0495.jpg

I checked its bottom area, and i do not noticing it indenting or sticking out. so maybe its too young still?

Hi ~^~Jenny~^~

ok, so far we know your red cap (great fish by the way!) is a male

as for the red oranda/fantail.................for me personally I can not sex the fish by the photos

If you can get a close up of the pec fins and anal port that may help

but.....if he/she is a juvenile then that wont work as we need time for him/she to develop and mature

The reason I say juvenile is you said it was an oranda...there is not alot of evidence of a wen as yet so that sugests he/she is young.

Fish normally come into a breeding "ready" state at 3 years of age

So we may have to wait till he/she matures a bit...this will enable us to:

1: sex the fish

2: Establish breed

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!

and keep posting pics!