I Can't Tell If She's Still Sick...

Guest CuteFishy51

Guest CuteFishy51

Okay here's the story folks, I've had my fantail Goldielocks for 5 months now and she originally started in a 2.5 gallon tank then went into a large fishbowl and i kept switching her between those two. This past Saturday I bought a 20 gallon tank and bought her an Oranda Companion named potatohead. When Goldielocks was in the 2.5 my neice overfed her and then I discovered her floating upsidedown. I immediately assumed she had died but then remembered hearing about SBD so i ran and discovered she was indeed still alive so i switched her into the large fishbowl. She was struggling to stay upright but then finally she resumed to normal. I never soaked my food because I didn't know the dangers. So now back to last saturday I set up my aquarium everythings fine and then this Thursday my mom says "they're starving!" to which i reply i already fed them 3 hours ago. don't feed them" so she does anyway and when i check on my fish I find a MONSTROUS amount of food at the bottom of the tank with potatohead just gorging himself and find goldielocks floating at the top... i put her in the 2.5 gallon tank and she stays upsidedown for awhile then she uprights herself and poops like no other it was brown. I took out potatohead and put him in the bowl. I emptied my aquarium completely because of the mess my mom made and started all over. I let potatohead go back in the tank but I keep goldielocks out and i let her fast for 2 days and on the 3rd day i gave her 3 peas and the 4th day i gave her 4 peas. When she wasn't eating she stopped pooping then after she ate the peas from the 3rd day her poop wasn't green it was greyish white and stringy and some floated. then on the 4th day (today) her poop was all green and alot of it stayed at the bottom but some had airbubbles and was floating at the top. Shes had an extremely large belly ever since I bought her. I don't know what to do. does she have a parasite? is it SBD? but after both of her instances of being upsidedown the 2nd time took her a way shorter period to get upright again. I don't know what to do. The test results below are from potatoheads water. Since I cleaned the tank out completely I wouldnt be able to tell you what those results were...I"m SO sorry this is so long but I just don't know what to do with Goldielocks. she's fine now tho but it's only her 2nd day eating peas

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? between .5 and .25 (the color on the strip didn't exactly match with either so i'd say it's in between)

Nitrite Level?it turned blue and the box had no matching color for when turns blue...

Nitrate level? 160 ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?betwen 7.0 and 7.4(this is from my "Live pH reader" and on the strip it came out to a light rosy pink

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal. it's been running 4 days What is the name and size of the filter/s? The name of the filter isTop Fin power filter 40

How often do you change the water and how much?I bought this tank last saturday then my mom decided to give a HUGE amount of food to the fish causing just nastyness so i emptied my tank COMPLETELY and cleaned it with paper towels and then refilled 4 days ago

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish goldielocks is in a hospital tank right now and shes around 4 inches but potatohead is still in it and he's around 3 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? umm I use the aquasafe when putting in new water that's it

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? tetrafin goldfish crisps

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? thursday she started floating upsidedown

I am no expert but I'm sure one will be along shortly...What I can tell you is your Nitrates are at an extremely toxic level and your ammonia should be zero. This is the problem when keeping goldfish in too small of a space the water paramaters can get extremely toxic in a matter of hours. Can you put her in a rubbermaid tub? What are the readings in the tank? Did you have media from a previously cycled tank or is the 20 gallon in the process of cycling? What type of water dechlorinator do you use? Prime is a great water dechlorinator that also detox's ammonia, nitrates and nitrites.

Your nitrates should be no higher then 20, therefore you need to do some very large water changing to get your nitrates/ammonia down to an acceptable level. If you have an API NitrIte tester the color should be an light aqua blue for a reading of 0. Water quality is usually the culprit and it sounds like this is either causing or adding to your problem.

My boyfriend used to think the fish were still hungry after I fed them and was feeding them behind my back until I told him what could happen. Perhaps you could hide your food for awhile until your mom understands.

Guest CuteFishy51

These are the REAL test results from the fishbowl Goldielocks is currently in right now...(the results I gave you were wrong and were from potatoheads water but i read the strip upside down then realized you need goldielocks' water results not his)

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?0

Nitrite Level?0

Nitrate level? 20ppm

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.8

How long exactly have you had your 20 gallon running?

I can't figure how your tank would cycle in only 4 days. Did you have your filter all ready cycled from another tank? And what kind of tests are you using? The drop tests kits are more accurate than the stick kind.

Guest CuteFishy51

I can't figure how your tank would cycle in only 4 days. Did you have your filter all ready cycled from another tank? And what kind of tests are you using? The drop tests kits are more accurate than the stick kind.

I've had my aquarium for a week but had to empty it all out 4 days ago. and no I bought a new filter when i bought the aquarium. and I am using the stick kind. The problem was that I read my stick upsidedown and that I gave the readings from my aquarium. but goldielocks isn't in that tank she's in a different one so the new readings are from where goldielocks is. Those first readings were read completely wrong and from potatoheads water

I've had my aquarium for a week but had to empty it all out 4 days ago. and no I bought a new filter when i bought the aquarium. and I am using the stick kind. The problem was that I read my stick upsidedown and that I gave the readings from my aquarium. but goldielocks isn't in that tank she's in a different one so the new readings are from where goldielocks is. Those first readings were read completely wrong and from potatoheads water

It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to cycle a tank, either you've seeded with dormant/active bacteria or your strips are hugely inaccurate.

Either way, here's the break down: Your fishies need at least 10-gallons each and your quarantine should mirror it. You're not going to get much results if she's sitting in your 2.5-gallon as quarantine. Any disinfected container can be a good quarantine tub as long as it'll handle the volume of water.

Archived