Is There An 'at-a-glance' Fry Info Page Anywhere?

GoinNuts

I'm hoping to find something that has information by age/stage of gf fry. For example, from X age/size to Y age/size, feed A,B and/or C. At Z age/size, feed D, E and/or F.

How much would be nice, too. One cube of baby brine shrimp is enough for # of fry, etc.

I read and read and read all the posts I can find, but sometimes there is conflicting information so I'm still unsure about these 'basics'.

Lisa

THere is a lot of information scattered here on Koko's..... but it is not very specific, and not particularly collected in one place.

The best information I found like that was in the books:

The Official Guide To Goldfish - Goldfish Society of America

Goldfish Breeding - Joseph Smartt and James Bundell

Fancy Goldfish - Johnson and Hess

Feeding your fry is a matter of finesse..... feed them a cube of brine shrimp - and see if they consume it. They should eat it all in a matter of minutes. If you can only feed twice a day, you should cultivate some nice green algae that they can munch on during the day.

As the fry grow, they will need more. My first batch of fry this year almost doubled their intake of brine shimp and then, BANG, they were ready for something bigger. They graduated to daphnia and sieved dry food. Once again, I feed only that which they can devour within a few minutes. I feed the fry under 3-4 weeks of age 4-6 times a day.... the older ones are down to 2 meals a day.

I have about 1000 10 day old fry. I hatch out 1.5 teaspoons of brine shrimp eggs a day. They eat them all. They were eating about 2 cubes of frozen shrimp every 2 hours for the first week of life. Now they are on live, only (my eggs finally arrived in the mail! :rolleyes: ) My last set of fry graduated to daphia at about 3 weeks of age, and by 4 weeks are on a mix of gelled veggies, sieved dry food, daphnia, small bloodworms, and spiriliana, twice a day.

THere is a lot of information scattered here on Koko's..... but it is not very specific, and not particularly collected in one place.
:exactly

I have searched and read and read and searched until my eyeballs want to crawl out of my head and hide from me. :krazy: But, like you say, it's scattered all over and often not as specific as I wish it were. I need it 'dummied up' for me, I guess. Like with human babies: "Start cereals at 3 months." It's not in stone, but it's a clear guideline that helpful!

I do think I may be feeding my fry too much, though. I have about 30-something left, and I give them 2 baby brine shrimp cubes 3 - 4 times a day. Their bellies are full, but there is always a good bit left on the floor of the tank. I'm siphoning out a lot of $shrimp$ and gf poop everyday, lol.

Thanks for the info on what/when you're feeding yours and the book recs, too I'll be going to the library later this week and I'll look for them. Now I'm off to update my other thread with some new pics. My babies are 2 weeks old today! :D

Lisa

That particular spawning yielded approximately 1800 fry - I gave away approximately 400 to two different members of our fish club - counted out about 10 per cup of fry as I scooped them out. I have at least 1000 left. They eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat. There is remarkably little waste in the tank at the end - very little poop and no shrimp left within about 3 mintues. I love watching their little tummies glow flamingo (shrimp?) pinky-orange after I feed them. The whole tank becomes so bright with little fish darting everywhere.....

I like the looks soooo much I am considering trying to take a video of it all - still pictures do not do them justice. I have the camera charging, but have to figure out the technology of it all. When and if I get it taken, then I hafta figure out how to post it here.....

Fry are sooooo cute and full of promise.

:)

Archived