Why Didnt I Think Of This Months Ago?

Guest under water tea party

i usually let the algae on my plastic plants go, the apple snail sucks the leaves pretty clean and my goldies graze on it but it was getting a little out hand so after my h20 change last night i broke out the magic eraser and it worked GREAT, then i rinsed it really good and wiped off the mineral deposits at the waterline. awesome.

:) I have seen a couple of other threads concerning the Magic Eracers and it was mentioned that they are treated with something, can not remember what it is, but I would use caution when using them around your tanks.

I would use caution when using them around your tanks
I'd have to agree. Me and my bf were talking about magic erasers just today, we used one to remove a mark from the wall and it took the paint off :blink: I was saying imagine what it might be doing to our skin!!!

Chrissy

I wouldn't trust this with my tank. If you've ever used them, you know that they leave a white gritty film behind - this cannot be healthy. The box warns about ingesting the dust from them and says do not use with bleach or ammonia. This leads me to believe that there is a chemical that can cause a reaction. They are also VERY abrasive and leave microscratches on the surfaces you use them on. Usually not an issue, but on a tank's glass or acrylic...? I don't use any cleaning anything around my tank - only aquarium specific sponges and regular ol' vinegar and hot water method.

While generally safe, there has been public concerns about Magic Erasers possibly leaving traces of benzene -- a known carcinogen. However, any benzene residues are very very little, but I don't know how much would cause affects to fish. So I would recommend using it as little as possible and with many many rinses.

its actually just a piece of microcellulose foam, and it does leave some residue when you use it to scrub dry surfaces, or when its about to fall apart. its made by mr clean but theres no detergent or cleansers applied to it. anyhoo, for the plants youre rinsing them anyway after you scrub them and the tech at my exotic vet couldnt think of any reason to be afraid of it.

Sorry, I've made an error. It wasn't benzene, it was formaldehyde:

http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean...uth/index.shtml

It is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. Even then, the amount present is significantly lower than standards established by governmental agencies and trade associations, and is actually less than what is found in indoor air.

According to their website, there is no formeldehyde in a magic eraser, though the ingredient does have formeldehyde in the name: Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer. However, if you read further down, it says "It is possible that formaldehyde may be present in minute, trace amounts as a result of the manufacturing process. " Hmmm... So it's not there, but it might be there...? Sounds fishy to me! :unsure: Fact is, though it says it is "non-toxic" - that is for human guidelines, not fish. Being that they are much smaller and are in a much smaller and more sensitive environment than people, the dangers are not the same.

Formaldehyde? Not something I'd put anywhere near my tank/fish/ornaments etc.

I just use my little magnet scrubber before a water change on the area at the top I want to clean and while the water line is down a little scrub with a paper towel does the trick for me.

Archived