Badly Injured Moor, Advice Gladly Accepted!

wyofish

Ok, a couple of weeks ago at work a few of the goldies got odd sores on them, some died, others got better. Turns out my boss used Windex on the fronts of the tanks, which I am pretty sure was the culprit. This particular moor was in with other moors and three small shubunkins. He's probably about 3" and started out with a couple of these sores and a couple "burnt"-looking spots (looked like tiny cigarette burns). He was getting better, but started getting picked on (I blame the shubs). I just got back to work from my weekend and he was in this shape. He's still swimming around and what's left of his dorsal fin is up, he's still eating fine. The second picture shows a bit of pineconing of the scales around the base of his tail, it is swollen there and the third and fourth pictures show why. I took pics of him in the bag so I could get halfway clear ones, pay no attention to the gouramis in the background, I set the bag in one of my tropical tanks to take the pic. Yes, that is a W-Mart bag and no, this is not indicative of what our fish usually look like, we're often complemented as being better than the local pet stores.

He is now in roughly 20G in a rubbermaid that I brought downstairs so I can easily do daily or so water changes and I've dosed him with Melafix (all that's available around here). My ProGold and Salad Supreme won't be in until Monday, so until then he's on TetraColor Extreme granules (I have flakes and a few other types of food as well, any ideas what'd be easiest for him?), crossing my fingers he makes it that long. Any other suggestions on what I can do for him? I'm hoping the stress of travel wasn't too much for him, he does seem to be perking up just fine so hopefully he'll come around. Also, I'd like an experienced person here to tell me straight, what do you think his chances are? I'll still do my best regardless of the answer and I'm trying not to get my hopes up about him, keep your fingers crossed!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

:( That is one sad looking Moor.Poor thing :heart The most important thing you can do is keep the Params absolutely pristene.Make sure that you treat water and evenly match temps.I personally would forget about the Melafix myself,as these injuries are pretty severe,and Melafix is more for minor problems.For now,I would salt the tank to 0.3 %---1tsp per gallon of water.If your Rubbermaid is 20 gals,then you'll need 20 tteaspoons. dissolved in tank water first,and then added to his tank.In 12 hours,you'll need to repeat this step all over,and then 12 hours after that,one more time,which will bring it to 0.3%.Watch him very carefully though as he is a small fish and may not be able to handle the full strength of the salt.If that is the case,then a huge water change should be performed immediately.

Do you have a heater that you can place in the Rubbermaid?To me,ill fish always seem to respond to treatment better in a warmer temp.

The Medi-Gold is a good idea for sure,and you'll want to feed him that twice a day as much as he can eat in two minutes

You may want to pick up some Maracyn II,just to have as a Standby,as these injuries are pretty severe,and may need some back-up.He's got some bad stuff going on,but as long as he's eating there's still a fighting chance for him,and I'll be rooting for him all the way.Good luck. :)

ow! I havent seen such bad fin rot since my fish got attacked by my newt ( come to think of it my one was a black moore aswell!) yeah i agree you should get some treatment for that and fast because as you know fin rot is a massive killer ( still mourning over my commons death :cry1 )

Yes finrot can kill but not always. It depends on the underlying cause and if bacterial, unfortunately it can result in mortality.

I believe that finrot of this nature - where there's no visible redness, no fungus, just a corrosion of the skin seems to point to extreme chemical poisoning and I think the best cure for him will be the most perfect water you can supply and salt - but try going to 0.1% and leave it there for a little while - just to see how he reacts. I think with the wound so open, anything else in the water may cause more undue stress, especially on the areas that are exposed.

I also think it's a great idea on the medicated food (and Maracyn on hand just in case) because that open wound on his body will be vulnerable to all the bacteria living in the water.

I'm praying this little guy pulls through - it looks as though he's been through so much :heart

Unfortunately I don't think Maracyn and medicated foods are options, as I pointed out what I have is all that's available locally, and anything else will take at least a few days if not a week to get here. He's still eating and swimming a bit, I'm getting ready to put some salt in now. The temperature right now is around 70, the only heater is one I could snitch off one of my tropical tanks but it's an automatic one that keeps the water around 76-78 degrees, wouldn't that be too warm? Finrot definitely isn't what he started with (the small "burns"), that came along after he started getting picked on, does anyone know if traces of chemicals such as windex could cause the marks I described? They looked like little pits in his skin. It was in a merchant system so whatever got into it was likely whisked away fast, which is probably why we didn't have a bunch of dead fish on our hands. Needless to say I don't think very highly of my boss, but she has been corrected in this matter at least. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sadly, he died this morning, but I'd still like to know if anyone knows if his original problem, as described above, could have been caused by exposure to household chemicals. Thank you all for your advice, I knew it was a long shot but we all have to try, right?

:( I was real sorry that he didn't make it for you,but he was in such a bad way. It's hard to pinpoint a cause for why he was the way he was.Yes,it could have been from exposure to chemicals,but it can only be a guess without an actual autopsy to prove it I guess. Poor little one. :heart

I'm sorry he didn't make it but I think the little fella is in a good place now where he'll feel no pain. With any new fish, it's always a guess to try and pinpoint the origin of the problem (as Sharon mentioned) but it could be chemical or it could also be a parasitic invasion or even bacterial (ie. columnaris). A scrape would tell if it was parasites but other than that, the only real way of knowing would be to have see him before the glass was sprayed - and whether the symptoms appeared straight after...

It's nice that you tried to save him though :)

The beginnings of it did happen about a day or two after I saw my boss spraying the glass. There was also a small ryukin that had its lower jaw eaten away, and a larger gold fantail that had a couple of "burns" also, though that one was hard to tell as it got caught in the filter after death (hopefully). The chemicals are all I can think of to cause these sudden problems, only a few fish out of nine merchant tanks were affected so I don't think it's parasites, besides the fact that I've never seen parasites that'd do that. Thank you all for your help!

Archived