Spanky Is All Better!

rwersted

Well this is an update on my beloved Sapnky. He is my telescope that had the nasty columnaris inf. He is finally better :happydance . It has been at least 6 weeks and well into $100 dollars for meds. There was a point when I just couldn't get the disease to stop form coming back and the last couple of weeks have been a pain. On top of things the meds wipe out your cycle so I have been changing water daily for what seems like forever. I think what did it is I ended up giving him Baytril inj. He received 3 total over the period of one week. He has been doing great and his missing chunk of fin is almost totally grown in. He is on no medicated food, just jump start. He has also gotten a ton of beautiful black markings. I just :heart him. I kept saying one more week and if this doesn't work.... but he never stopped eating and that was why I kept going. He is the most personable fish and I always turn his light on first in the morning .

DSC06174.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/rw...ed/DSC06175.jpg

On another note I am giving my lionhead inj also since his fin rot was getting much worse again. It is definatley improved. I know there are going to be members that don't necessarily agree with the treatment I've chosen but it is working and while the inj is working the water quality stays perfect. It is also much cheaper for me to give the inj then medicate a 29 gallon. I was getting home from work and by the time I would get to the tanks it would be 9-10pm then I would be testing and changing water because of the tank meds :wall . I am well aware that the injectables have their own set of side effects but the previous treatment was not working and his fins looked terrible. So I am hoping that he will be 100% by the end of next week, and knock on wood no more sick fish for a while.

This last 2 weeks has been so stressful between the sick fish and having to start a new job, I think things are finally looking up :rest: !

Rach

Good job Rach. I think I would have done the same thing if it were possible to get antibiotic injections where i am. He is a stunning fish and I can see why he is very special to you. This fish will look beautiful

when he is full size and now he has a green light to get there, well done for all your effort for him :)

:heart I'm so glad to hear your fish is getting better, I can see why you are so attached he's the cutest little thing ever! I have a little rescue that has her up's and downs and in less then the week I've had her I've spent about $70...I'm really hoping the prazi powder, medi gold,metro meds route will help her recover fully. If not I'll be going to baytril route myself.

Keep us posted on how he makes out!

The difference is amazing - and good on you for injecting. One Baytril shot costs me $70 so a full treatment would set me back $210 and that's just not affordable. So if you're lucky enough to get it, then IMHO this'd be the best treatment method - especially for columnaris.

I'm so pleased for both you and Spanky :)

OMG that's a ton of money. I work at a vet and because it's such a small amount to them they are letting me get it no charge. I am using insulin needles since they are so small and they are cheap. Thanks for the support. I thought there would be a lot of negative feedback. I was wrong :D I just want my fish well again.

:) That is such wonderful news Rachel! I know how much you love this little guy and you really showed that with your constant care for him. He is one beautiful fish, thats for sure.

Archived