On Bottom, Right Side Of Body Up

gialleh

Ugh....

My female moor is sick

start 1 week & 2 days ago

She was in a 55 gal tank with 3 boys, & corys, & snails.

I started to see her hanging at the bottom & planned to do a water change over the weekend.

When I got home on Thursday she was on her side at the bottom.

I was starting to get a 10 gal ready for her but the water was ready yet.

I moved her out of the 55 gal to the 10 with 50% new & 50% her 55 gal water.

Added salt

Started her on peas only

The water quality in the 55 gal was bad. It is now better & the 3 boys arew swimming fine. I am planning to move a bunch of the corys & snails out. 10 gal. tanks are being cycled now by minnows ( I have had for a long time to cycle tanks). My dad gave me all the corys on a visit home that is why i have them.

Little Girl Moor is always at the bottom. On her side, left side down, right side up.

She is eating - Medi-Gold. Her poop is changing. At first constipated. Yesterday long and thin clear in spots and a little color.

I could not get the water in the 10 gal to stablize. I have a sponge filter (started when she went in the tank so not a lot of bacteria). An air stone. And a 10 gal whisper hang-on side filter.

So I moved all the filters to a new tank that i put 80% of my 55 gal fry tank water in since it tested clear on Ammonia & nitrites. I can't test for Nitrates.

She uprighted for a few hours - not sure if it was the stress of the move or what.

This morning she was on her side again.

I did a 50% water change adding 25% new water & 25% fry water.

I tested 5 hrs later.

pH - 7.5 ( my city water is usually around 8)

Ammonia - .25

Nitrites - .5 but the long it sat in the test tube the higher it went - I'll retest after posting this.

I can't get it to stablize.

What about adding a plant?

Little girl - is eating well, will swim around for food, swim to the top, run through the air stone, but mostly rests.

She doesn't look thin.

Heather

It sounds like the first thing to do is to stabilize the water, but I'm not sure what could help. I'm guessing a plant would help as it "filters" the water and also adds more oxygen. You could also try a product called "Cycle". I used it when I set up one of my tanks and It had very good results. It adds good bacteria to the water. You can probably get it at most pet stores. I found it at vvvv.

Aside from that, I have no idea what would help.

Here is some info on "Cycle" that I just found.

http://www.vvvv.com/global/product_det...sText=cycle&N=2

Today I had the water checked at the fish store ( lucky me it is only 3 blocks away). They confirmed the nitrites and nitrates were off the charts.

I bought these nitrate fixing medium. It is now in the filter and I am praying it'll do the trick.

My tank she came from is showing low pH 6.2 but what I thought was the 3 boys are doing fine. so fine that fatty boy is really Fatty GIRL - as there are now eggs all over the tank.

I have no time to save them.

Heather

I wouldn't depend on the Nitrate fixing medium for an easy fix. I'd personally start upping your water changes to weekly,to at least 50%.Doing that will keep your params in order,and keep your ph at a higher number.

What have you been doing for normal tank maintainance thus far?

And although the fish may be acting fine,a 6.2 ph is at a dangerously low level-I'm talking ph crash,so it's really not good at all,and that ph needs to be higher. More Frequent water changes should help with that. :)

Any time you place a fish in a Hospital tank,you should always start with clean fresh water.Taking the water from which it came from,only means taking and leaving it in that same poor water quality.

What kind of test kit do you use,and what were the actual Nitrite and Nitrate #'s that the Pet Store found your water to be testing? How much water did you then change out,or did you just throw in the Nitrate media?

What size type of filter(s) are you using on the tank,and how often do you rinse those?

And just a tip on the purple shades for the Nitrite chart, sometimes the colors are very hard to distinguish-same with some of those Nitrate tests. Your best way of thinking for that, is that if the color is purple,it's not good ,and you should start doing big water changes asap. People get so worried about which purple they're looking at,when all they have to figure is that no puirple is good.

I was like that with Nitrates,and "Which red shade is it"?

One day,I thought to myself, doh.gif NO shade of red is good!!! :rolleyes:

Little Girl fish is still on her side. If she swims she is okay but when she stops it is on her side. I am still doing 50% water changes. she eats well. i am afraid she is egg impacted. Still working on nitrites. Nitrates are good. pH is good.

The boys & fatty girl are fine.

Ugh...

Heather

Heather if you believe it could be impaction, you may want to isolate her and treat her a little more aggressively. This condition can quickly escalate and cause death.

If you can iso her and raise the temp in the tank to 80F, make sure to have an airstone in there for plenty of oxygen as it can disipate too quickly in hotter temps.

?Heather,what makes you think that it's egg impaction?What are her actual symptoms that makes you believe :unsure: this? What are the actual params as we speak?

Still the same and I am going on almost 2 weeks.

I brought the aggressive male down and she was happy to see him.

The water is still not good. I can't get the nitrites under control. What is going on???

I have them both in another 10 gallon that had ph = 7.5, ammonia - 0, nitrites = .25. It was being cycled by minnows and the parms were better then what they were in.

I think egg impacted because she is pretty round. Had eggs before. And on Sunday the other female (who i thought was a male) had eggs.

I also can't fit her into any disease description. She is always tipped to the same side. She is hungry. when she tries to swim she is okay.

I unfortunately leave for vacation on saturday.

Heather

Heather I assume you are on vacation now as it is Sunday, hopefully you have things a bit more under control. Let us know how they are when you return.

Water changes are the best to get the nitrites in control, so hopefully those helped. Good luck, hope you enjoy your vacation.

Heather I am going to leave this thread here for about a week. Long enough for you to return and give us an update.

I may bump it up to keep it in site, so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. After that it will be moved.

Post back soon.

Hi

She made it through vacation. I had my critter sitter doing 25% water changes daily. I have not checked parmas yet but will do tonite. I think they are pretty good because the male is fine but you can never tell.

Little Girl is still the same. Always lying on the same side. She eats well. Looks good - just on her side.

what can I do??? I need ideas.

Heather

Well let's see what the water shows and go from there.

She may have SBD that is making her do this, but let's start from the begining at this point.

Well that depends...........

Fish with SBD can be pretty sensitve to nitrates above 20, so you will have to watch that.

And depending on how bad things got to cause the SBD, may not be "curable" just controled.

Fasting, feeding peas, making sure the nitrates stay where they need to are just some things they need.

Often SBD is caused by a bacterial infection so a round or 2 of medicated food can often help things. But as I said, SBD is usually controled but not cured.

Hi

Here are the water parmas:

pH = 7.5

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0.5

Nitrate = 20

GH = 150

KH = 80

I have been feeding Medi -Gold & peas.

Today I put a hang-on filter on the tank with carbon cart in it. I also have a sponge filter & air stone.

I'll check water tomorrow to see if the carbon is helping.

Ugh....

Heather

Thanks Heather. The carbon will only help to remove medication from the water, so I am not sure why adding that will help.

Your nitrites are high, they should be 0 at this point. How long have your nitrates been registering?

Also, anytime you are feeding a medicated food it is important to not feed anything else. Reason being is it is hard to get enough antibotics in the fish with food, so feeding them other stuff can hinder that process. Something I learned the hard way.

Once the fish comes off the med food you can then feed the peas for a few days.

Is there any sign of improvement?

okay i'll only feed the Medi-Gold.

I am not medicating the water with anything.

The parmas were the same today.

There is no improvement.

Can you explain what carbon is suppose to do in a filter?

The male in the tank is fine.

heather

Sure, what carbon does is remove any medication from the water. That is pretty much it. It can often remove small particles from the water making it a little clearer, but from a health stand point nothing.

Most experts run their filters without it, only choosing to use it to remove any medication they have had to add.

Since the nitrites didn't budge, I would do another water change to bring them down. Retest an hour after the change to see if they came down, if not do another change until they read 0.

However, make sure you are testing the nitrates as well, you don't want to change so much water as to wipe them out completely.

Okay - i'll do the water changes tomorrow (Monday) & let you know.

The filter/ carbon thing is what I am struggling with. I know it takes out the medicine but I can't figure out why it is in every filter sold today. I find it clogs up quickly.

I have a pond that the previous owner of my home built and that had no built in filter. so I am relining the pond ( it has a mystery hole in it) and am planning a filter system. I just can't figure out what carbon is suppose to do.

The guy at the pet store said it would help with the nitrates?

Heather

Well I can say that no it doesn't help with nitrates. So not sure what he is talking about.

ANd to be honest I don't know why it is always sold with filters.

You may can start a thread in the chemistry section and ask there. Also the pond experts can help you with the stuff for the pond, I am clueless there.

I checked ammonia & nitrites - 0 & 0.5 respectively. I did a 30 - 40% water change waited an hour and the numbers were the same.

she is eating -

I can't figure this out...

Heather

Did you do another change after the last numbers?

What are the nitrates?

Cycling is very hard on a fish, if you can imagine breathing and having your waste on you constantly....well that is what the fish is experiencing. Makes for a horrible living condition.

With keeping the water "barely tolerable" the fish has a fighting chance to make it thru. But it is a long, hard process that takes a toll on their health.

Maintain the water issues, as they are your biggest hurdle at this point. Hopefully in the next few days it will be under control enough to ease up on the fish.

Archived