Alternative Lighting Ideas

Guest under water tea party

i was given a 30 gallon tank with a hood and light, its been set up in my 3 year olds room for about 6 months with a ryukin, a fantail and a mystery snail. the light is just one of those standard flourescent 20 watt tank bulbs and while my son loves having the light on at night its pretty harsh and the fish dont really seem to like it and the snail is very inactive when its on. when i click it on they freak out a little bit :hide: . ive poked around my local wal mart and it seems like the lowest wattage is 15, not much of a drop. maybe a black light bulb? anyone done that? :k045: id even buy a whole new hood if a could find one that had more diffuse lighting. my son loves his fish and he goes to sleep watching them i just hate to see them twitching when i flip the switch!

I remember seeing somewhere (I can't remember where) on the internet about lights that have two stages: daylight and moonlight. I didn't pay too much attention because they were quite expensive. The other option you may have is to put your light on a timer. I've done this with mine. It comes on at 7:00a.m. and goes off at 8:00p.m. Maybe you could do that and set it to go off, say, half an hour after your child goes to sleep? Then he could watch them as he falls asleep but then the fish will get darkness as well. If you put a night light beside the tank, the transition from light to dark won't be as drastic. :)

Angela

My tropicals freak out, but my Moor's don't seem to care. For the trops, I just lift the lid a few inches off the tank, then turn the light off. It makes a more gradual darkening then just flipping the switch and plunging them into darkness. (my desk lamp is usually on tho, so even then they don't get complete darkness right away until I go to bed)

thanks for the tips, i usually leave the light off during the day and flip in on at night. im going to look into the moonlight option, i know i hate having flourescent tubes over my head! i used to leave it on all the time but they were just hanging out at the surface a lot driving me nuts thinking there was something wrong with them but i guess they were just stressed. ive had the hood off for the past couple of days and they seem very happy in the dark, i guess being carp and all. i miss seeing their pretty colors! :fishtank:

I know your son may like to have the tank lights on while he sleeps for a sense of security, but from the fish point of view it really isn't good for them to be exposed to light constantly, they need sleep too.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but its true, all creatures even fish need down time and being exposed to daylight then tank lights throughout the night doesn't give them time to rest, in turn this will make them more susceptible to health problems.

If you really do need to have the lights on at night then daust's suggestion of using a night light and timer combination is the best compromise.

a timer doesnt really solve the harsh light problem. its off all day and not in a sunny area so when the timer goes on it will still scare the fish. i actually found submersable pm lighting on foster&smith, only it comes in red, green or blue. blech. so the search continues, thanx for the replies!

I've got Satellite Compact Fluorescent light fixtures (1 single and 1 dual), ordered from Drs Foster & Smith, on both of my tropical tanks. They both have a white LED light in them, which gives the moonlight effect.

The "moonlight" lets you view the fish even at night, but is soft enough to let fish sleep. And the transition between it and the day lights is not nearly so harsh as going from complete darkness, so it would probably be less stressful to your fishies.

The lights were a bit expensive, but the price included the bulb(s), so it really wasn't a bad deal at all. (The singles are cheaper than the duals.)

On the diy front, I remember seeing a site somewhere that had a whole thing on making your own moonlight setup, but I don't remember where it was. :unsure:

moonlight leds are more common for marine animals. as the corals reacts to the moonlight more(for feeding time or something like that). but that doesn't mean freshwater fishes can't use them just that you won't really get to see much things in it.. You could might as well get a fluorescent Actinic light bulb, it is brighter but still less intensive for most fishes..(yes I know this is also another bulb normally used with marine fish keeping but I think since they share the same sky should get about the same lighting)

Archived