What Can I Put With

fishfreak4life

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what other fish besides goldfish that I could put with two calico fantails in a 30 gallon. I am in need of a cleaning fish for the bottom and I was wanting something else to add tot the tank besides just goldfish. If you could please let me know, that would be great! Thanks!

Dean,adding any kind of "Cleaner fish" usually means more requirements for you to follow through on. Cleaner fish won't eat anything but food and algae,depending on what you get.Bristlenose have special needs.They need Driftwood in their diet and they need to be fed numerous healthy fresh cooked veggies to thrive.Having Driftwood can drop your ph,so if that's an issue to begin with,then you may have a problem.

As for Cory Cats,although some have had luck,it only takes one moment for it to go bad.Never assume that a goldfish is too small,because when it comes to food,they'll prove you wrong.I have had Cory Cats all of my life.I kept a baby goldfish with my Cories last year and the goldie got a catfish stuck in his mouth twice,and believe me,it was not pretty.Catfish aren't able to handle much salt at all ,or alot of different Meds,so you have to be careful with that too. Most Cleaner fish are heavy pooer's and waste producers also. :blink:

Oto's are too small,and they'll spend most of their time hiding or up on the glass.

If you really feel that you have to add another fish,then I would basically stick to another Goldie.

Why not for once just keep it understocked and just watch everyone grow big? ;)

I agree with Devs, adding any type of cleaner brings about a whole new set of responsibilities you have to commit yourself to. If you can do it, then wonderful! If you can't, then stick to what you've got.

:) I really wanted an apple snail in my 40-gallon, but I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the feedings and the extra water changes on my own, so I had to give up on that dream. But at least it's good to know the pets you do have will be better off for it.

Why do you feel you need a cleaner fish? Goldfish are great at keeping the food on the bottom cleaned up and it gives they sometime to do between feedings.

That being said I have BN plecos with mine not to clean the bottom but keep the unsightly alge cleaned up cause Im to lazy to clean it off. They do need drift wood and yes that does lower the ph. And I feed them a zuchine couple times a week. That the goldfish just love so now I have to put in extra for the goldfish. Zuchine is rather messy to feed and you have to make sure you remove it before it gets yucky.

I think maybe you should just leave well enough alone and enjoy your goldfish since you tank is so small and you already have two goldfish.

Green algae is good for your goldies - they love to eat it and it helps absorb the toxins, also oxygenates the water. As far as I know, the only way to really get rid of brown algae is to change the length of time you light your tank. (scrubbing doesn't seem to help, as it comes back the next day!)

I light my tank on the following schedule:

Monday-Friday: 6:15am-9:00pm

Saturday-Sunday: 12:00am-10:00pm

Does this sound like a good lighting schedule or does it need to be cut back? Do you think I should wait to turn the fish tank light on when I get home from school and not leave it on during the day?

I light my tank on the following schedule:

Monday-Friday: 6:15am-9:00pm

Saturday-Sunday: 12:00am-10:00pm

Does this sound like a good lighting schedule or does it need to be cut back? Do you think I should wait to turn the fish tank light on when I get home from school and not leave it on during the day?

Wow, that's a pretty long time to keep your lights on. How many watts are your bulbs? I'm surprised you're still dealing with brown[/b] algae. Usually with that much light the green algae takes over the joint.

I am not sure how many watts my light bulbs are, they are the one that came with the hood because it is a built in light. I am not sure. I think I am going to rework my schedule to the following:

6:00-7:15- have lights on for feeding time

7:15-3:30- lights off

3:30-9:00- have lights on

Do you think that is better? Please let me know!

Thanks!

Hm, my preferred method is to have a "daytime" and a "nighttime," but heck, you don't really need a light in your tank. I'm not sure lessening the amount of time your lights are on are going to help with your brown algae problem. Usually having less light time will cause brown algae to take over. Here's what Koko had to say on another thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...&hl=brown+algae

Sure Ghost shrimps help but the problem is that goldfish will eat them really fast....

Rams

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20S90.jpg

Brown algae is do to Diatoms in the water or Silicons, this is normal in most water systems, there is 2 ways to deal with this with out chems.....

BristleNose plecos or Phosarbe in the filtration system....Those are the easiest to do.....

there are other ways of doing it and that is a planted tank but that takes time, money and lighting to deal with it and sometimes it can be more troublesome.....

Also high amounts of nitrates can cause this normally tanks over the 30ppm mark will start to grow it, also to much lighting can do it too, or to much natural sunlight.

You need to look at all aspects of your tank to see what is going on, its not easy to find out why, just need to do alittle research first....

Thanks! I am going to buy a bristlenose pleco. Do you think two goldfish and one of those would make a good combo for my 30 gallon? Please let me know.

Thanks.

I think so. Just be sure to check out the COMPATIBLE FISH section of the forum. I believe there's a lot of info about bristlenose pleco requirements.

:) Good luck!

BN plecos are great but youll need a small piece of driftwood in there for it. My plecos were kind of scrawny looking but after adding the wood they have filled out and look more healthy.

I also leave my lights on 12 hours and off 12 hours.

:rolleyes: I talked about Bristles Dean.Do you think that you can make tht kind of committment to them---Special foods/Driftwood/extra tank cleaning?Some times I think nothing has changed here,and that you are still only listening for the answers that you want to hear.... :unsure:

:rolleyes: I talked about Bristles Dean.Do you think that you can make tht kind of committment to them---Special foods/Driftwood/extra tank cleaning?Some times I think nothing has changed here,and that you are still only listening for the answers that you want to hear.... :unsure:

I think it's important to emphasize that plecos are going to be your pets too. :heart They deserve as much love and care as any other pet, even if they eat the leftovers.

yes i am ready for the care. I am going to research all the information and then go and purchase the required driftwood and then the fish. This may take a while becuase i don't have money.

Should i just scrub the tank until then?

The green stuff should be okay, but try to get as much of the brown stuff off as you can, they're only troublesome diatoms. ;)

As for lighting I kinda think the lights are for ME! I have recently gotten timers (Woohoo) So the lights come on weekdays first thing in the morning then off about time I leave for work. Off all day...just natural light. Then they come on about time I arrive home & off at my bedtime! Weekends they are on some during the morning & some midday & at night til bedtime. I love the timers. I think natural lighting is good for the fish, just no direct sunlight!

As for algae I have scouring pads (the none detergent kind....just a scrubber) & a stiff plastic thingee (think it's some sort of ice scraper) Both are fish tank only items! Then I attack the algae during water changes!

It is weird but I enjoy the weekly tank maintenance! Then I REALLY love it like this evening when I arrived home from work & both my tanks are unbelievably clear! Wow! How nice!!

I have two goldies in an almost 30 gallon tank. I was scrubbing brown and green algae every week. I have 4 hillstream loaches (sold to me as butterfly plecos) in there now and the difference is amazing. The glass is so clean it is unbelievable. I love these guys. They are so friendly. The tank takes just as long as before to clean now though because you have to be so careful for the little guys. I slowly disassemble my rock pile and move it so I can vaccuum under it and I always make sure I know where they all are before I vaccuum. They love the driftwoood I have in the tank. It is a bit of a concern in my mind making sure they get enough food. I've seen them eat everything I feed the goldies. I agree that you have to treat them as pets too and they do take a little extra time at feedings and cleaning. What a pleasure they are though. Jessica

I took the rock out and scrubbed it and it came right off and it was so easy to clean, i think i am just going to scrub the rock every month or so.

Thanks! I will post pictures of my tank as soon as I take them! I plan on taking pictures sometime this week and then posting them. Some will be in bettas and some will be in tropicals and some will be in goldfish!

Thanks!

Bristlenoses are real cool but high care as Devs said

Having Driftwood can drop your ph,so if that's an issue to begin with,then you may have a problem

my experience...my bristlenowse .....he got nasty!!! he now lives in his own tank wit hmy breeder guppys that i sell to the LFS as I wont have him in a tank with my goldies

Mabe I got a rare aggressive one.

but either way take into account you galls of water and the amount of care if you put one in

In my 8 tanks I bristle nose is happy and cleans it.....(but i still do water changes every week)....the other 7 tanks have sunlight+lots of green algae...fish love it!!!! but when I do my water changes I clean the front of the tank at the same time so aestically it looks great! I leave the back so they got algea to graze on.

Archived