The First Time...

yazooo

I know its a bit of sad topic but I guess its something we all have experience of if youve been in the hobby for any length of time. I truly envy those who have yet to go through it!

I was just wondering what the circumstances were the first time one of your goldfish died.

My first was called Freddy and I was about 11 years old at the time. We actually had a fairly responsible pet shop that sold us them and my first tank was a UK 10 gallon, with a filter and all relevant equipment. Nothing about the nitrogen cycle or anything like that though. I then picked Freddy a yellow gold comet with lovely long fins and a deeper orange common called Philbert who was to be my sisters. The tank was in my bedroom and I couldnt have had him more than a few weeks but I woke up one morning to find him in a curved 'C' shape on the bottom of the tank, still breathing but barely. I was actually frightened to look at him. A few hours later I looked in again and he was floating at the top dead being whirled around by the filter. It was so sad. I genuinely cried for weeks about it! Id always had pets as a child but this was my first experience of bereavement in my life.

Many more goldies came and went inbetween then for about 5 years before I decided enough was enough and packed it in altogether.

Last August then I started to get back into fishkeeping. Id finished uni (tho was starting another degree in sept.) had plenty of time on my hands for a hobby and picked fish! Choosing an absolutely beautiful baby calico oranda and a comet who just happened to catch my eye in a tank of about 40! About two months later then the oranda became ill bottom sitting, which in a short space of time progressed to dropsy and was just a deterioration process thereafter. It really broke my heart all over again. I had only had the little thing for a matter of weeks (and its now 6months later) but I still think about him, as I do actually with so many of the ones I lost over the years. It really doesnt get any easier.

Ohhhh mine was bad. I had a little black moor get fungus. One day he was floating and I sadly got him and plopped him in the toilet. Just as I flushed, he tried to swim....it was too late...he got sucked down the toilet!!

I was about 8 years old and cried for days!!!

Chrissy

My first was not just one but a 55g tank with 9 goldfish in it.

This was like 10plus years ago before I had a computer and I didnt know any better. The tank was not cycled and I was WAY over stocked.

They all got fungus and died. None had any names.

It was one of the first things I did when I first landed at university. All the other kids were soooooo big and busy with each other and dating and activities and no one was interested in a snot-nosed 10 year old. I was lonely, so I got myself a 10 gallon tank and a pretty white fish. He was a comet, I think. I talked to him every day and tried very hard to take care of him, but he jumped out one day when I was out - and I found him all dried up and dead on my bed. I cried very hard for that little fish. It was a long time until I tried again. :cry1

My Spaceboy was the first goldie that I had lost that wasn't sick to begin with. He was my very first goldfish and I had him for a little over a year and a half. He had the best personality. He had a lot of problems through his life, he was super sensitive to everything. I moved, he survived the 17 hour truck trip and then he couldn't adjust to the difference in the water so he got sick, then it developed into dropsy. I did everything I could but he just kept getting worse and eventually died. I cried for days. I put him in the toilet to dispose of him and part of me kept hoping he would move. It took me a long time before I was finally able to flush him. Even now, with my username I sometimes get teary and miss his fat stumpy little body swimming around in my tank.

The first goldie I ever lost was a tiny red capped oranda. I had 8 of them in a 55 gallon tank for a few hours but I had 2 angels in that tank that were ready to breed at any time and were very agressive so I moved them into a 55 gallon with my guppies and blue and red tetras. The guppies picked on them constantly so I moved the 2 angels to a 30 gallon that had 4 other angels and put all 8 goldfish into the 55 gallon. They all started to develop fin rot but eventually got better except for one of them that was caught to the filter intake.

After 3 years I lost them all when I didnt quarantine my new orandas and all of the fish got sick and died(they were all stunted) except for one of the new ones so he spent a few days with my silver dollar while I cleaned out the 2 55 gallons. We moved one of the 55 gallons out to the store and got some discus but they were very nervous so we put the oranda in with them and they all followed him around so we thought we should get some more orandas. We ended up having 4 orandas and 4 discus in the tank, but all of the new ones were picked on because of their massive wens and I ended up losing my favourite one Bear Bears to ich, and my pleco. He was upside down but I noticed after my other one's wen was bitten he lost his balance as well so I'm not sure if it was SBD or something else. (This was my first death after reading up some info on goldies)

When I was a kid my grandparents got me a fish tank for my birthday and gave me the two fantails they had in their fountain. I was really messed up at the time and didn't bond with them at all. We didn't care for the tank properly and it didn't have a filter, and was overstocked. I don't even remember how they died, but clearly they did.

Although he wasn't the first goldfish I lost, Fred's (Sr.) death probably hit me the hardest. He was the first fancy goldfish I got when I started keeping goldfish again. For nearly the entire time I had him, he was my largest goldie. He unfortunately died of dropsy about a year and a half ago. He's the calico in my signature

Well, I think it was 1 year ago this month! Sharky, (Fantail) my first goldfish was sharing a 20 gallon with Lumpy. I'd had Sharky for 2 years and so far, he has been my only loss. He suddenly got finrot, SBD and dropsy all at once and he died within a week. :cry1 At least I kept Lumpy from getting it.

I suspect it was something that came in on a new plant. Ever since, I have always quarantined new plants.

Well, I had a few goldies come and go as a kid. My most recent loss was probably the hardest. I just got back into fishkeeping last summer and started with 2 rescued feeder gf. One died a couple days later due to my bf overfeeding them. So I got another one, (Chief in my sig) that looked similar and he lived for a few months until my bf accidentally overfed them again! I now measure out all the food ahead of time so he won't have a problem guessing how much is enough. Anyway, I was really attached to that little fish since I think they look so cute with a red cap on their head. :cry1 Someday I'll probably try that color gf again but for now I've replaced him with a bunch of tropicals.

We bought 4 fish when the pond was new, they did alright until it was time to bring them inside. I had never heard of cycling and testing water, so one of them, a lemonhead common, got finrot. While trying to save him I found out a lot about fishkeeping, but it was too late and he died anyway. That first time was horrible, I couldn't eat or sleep, I felt so helpless.

In January of 2006 one of my LFS was having a sale--"2 for 2": buy any freshwater fish or plant and get a second of the same kind for 2 cents, held the second Tuesday of every month. So I decided to go and get a couple of fish. At that point in time the only fish I had ever had were bettas and a common pleco, and I wanted to try something different. Browsing through the tanks, I finally found one, near the back of the store, that was filled with Albino Blackmoors. I had never had much interest in goldfish before, but they really looked neat, so I got a couple.

When I brought them home, being almost completely ignorant of goldfish care, I put them in a 5G with my pleco. The weeks went by and everything was going well. One of the goldies had had slightly frayed fins when I got it, and this never changed. After I had had them for a couple of months or so, the other one had a growth spurt and suddenly doubled in size, but the little one with the frayed fins never did.

In time I learned a little bit more, and moved them and the pleco to a 10G. By this point I knew that the fraying was finrot, and treated for it, but it kept coming back--the meds would seemingly cure it, but then a couple weeks later it would crop up again. The other goldie was still doing perfectly though. Finally, the little runt took a sudden dive for the worst, developing popeye in one eye and cloudy eye in the other within two days. After that it was a rapid decline, and although I was able to save both eyes, the fish became increasingly despondent and stopped eating. Less than a week after the eye issues began, it died, in early spring of 2006.

I still have the sibling Albino though, visible in my sig.

Guest under water tea party

ok so my sad fish story isnt abot a goldie but this huge, ugly, hole in the head oscar that got dropped off at a petstore i was working at in the mall when i was in my early 20s. pet stores do double duty as shelters sometimes, i got a few ferrets free that way too. in the back room was this 155 tank, which i (had to buy, cheap) brought home, put it on the floor and cycled quick as i could. anyway, this guy was 12 inches, mean as cat pee, but i managed to stave off that hole in the head tho it never went all the way away. i just wrote a post about not buying diseased stock so i have to say that i was a minimal paying party to a donated animal. so this fish was cool, and while i wouldnt trust him with my fingers we had a great between glass repoir and he enjoyed eating lots of things like junebugs and earthworms. i think he had a happy, swampy life with me. anyways i figure his time just ran out, he kind of slowed down and extinguished. a fellow tech guestimated his or maybe her life at 8-10 years.

Guest Kiki Lola

I lost two fish within the same week. A blackmoor, Billy, had Swimbladder (and ultimately got trapped in the filter, since I didn't know at the time you had to turn your filter down) and then in the same week poor Harvey (my first ever fancytail, I believe he was... beautiful gold colour with bright white fins and tail) spent 4 days suffering before finally passing away. I tried the frozen peas method, but sadly I caught it too late.

That was only 2 days ago! :cry1 I'm learning though, and have found ways to prevent this from happening and now I know the signs can treat it earlier too :)

Poki was my first goldfish- I had him 30 days. but my partner - when we cleaned the tank wanted to change most of the water and run it through the filters we used for our water- so not only did it take out all the micro nutrienmts but it also severely dropped the ph. I saw a blue colored pooh but did not understand that was from the acidic water - the next morning he was inside a little house we had just gotten for him . I do not know why he went in there to die - but it wass a very painful experience- if I learned anything from fish- they are unpredictable and have very sensitive needs- and to enjoymenrts you do spend wioth them as best you can-

here is Punch our second Oranda-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhgGhi7Wfw

Eric

in rememberence of Poki-

Ohhhh mine was bad. I had a little black moor get fungus. One day he was floating and I sadly got him and plopped him in the toilet. Just as I flushed, he tried to swim....it was too late...he got sucked down the toilet!!

I was about 8 years old and cried for days!!!

Chrissy

Oh Noooo that's aweful! I'm sorry Chrissy :(

It was one of the first things I did when I first landed at university. All the other kids were soooooo big and busy with each other and dating and activities and no one was interested in a snot-nosed 10 year old. I was lonely, so I got myself a 10 gallon tank and a pretty white fish. He was a comet, I think. I talked to him every day and tried very hard to take care of him, but he jumped out one day when I was out - and I found him all dried up and dead on my bed. I cried very hard for that little fish. It was a long time until I tried again. :cry1

You were 10 when you went to college? :blink:

My first that died was a TINY black moore that I rescued from school. It was for a biology fair and the kids were feeding it motor oil for the report. I got a 10 gallon with a filter and gravel, and took the ornaments and a couple other baby tropical fish that were left behind after the fair. His eyes kept bleeding and I researched and researched but could not figure out why. I guess I wasn't thinking out of the box because in all my research, I never read anything about chemestry and cycling. He eventually died and I was so sad. The only picture I have of him is a blur. I still have one of the tropical rescues though! He is a black neon named Rummert, and I bought him a school of friends.

Guest Sashimi

My first goldfish I'm almost ashamed to talk about. I won it at a fair when I was 9 or 10, and we kept it in an old spaghetti sauce container (about .5 gallon)... Needless to say the poor thing didn't last much longer than a week. :(

I was 6 or so and won 3 goldfish at some sort of fair. We took them home and got them into some sort of container. I do not remember too well what they were in as the only maintenence I did was feed them once a day. One day I came home from school and discovered that one of our cats had managed to get the top off the goldfish and went fishing for a meal. :cry1 I The cat got another one the next day. After that my parents kept the door to the room the fish were in cosed when one of us was not in there. I wouldn't have anything to do with the cat for over a month after that, I was soooooo mad at her. The third one died 5 or 6 months later, I do not remember from what.

Archived