Baby Doll Black Moor

rwersted

Has anybody heard of a Baby Doll Black Moor. They are supposed to be a dwarf type moor. Well that's what the lady at the LFS said. She said thsy stay small and and they were maybe 3/4 inch at the petstore-just tiny little guys. I have seen them pop up at several stores. Just curious if they really do stay small-they are adorable.

Rach

I've heard that they don't live very long and are usually sickly little critters. The genetics to get to the small, albino finished product make for a critter that doesn't often thrive. I think a couple of members of this board have them?

I have a Siamese Doll (albino). I've had her about 5 1/2 years and have pulled her from the brink of death about 3 times. She's a fighter!

IMG_1609.JPG

She has definitely stayed small. Here she is with my 6" (body) telescope. I got them both at the same time from the same tank:

IMG_1616.JPG

Goldie's eye is almost as big as her head!

IMG_1621.JPG

She is a lovely little thing!

Thank you! Her name is Ghostie. She and Goldie were my first goldfish. Bless their hearts, they lived their first couple of years in a 3 gal bowl ( :o ) before I learned that was BAD idea. They now live in a 'luxurious' 55 gal. :)

Lisa

No the ones I keep seeing are jet black, not albino.

From what I can recall when I did a tiny bit of research on Siamese Dolls last year, they start out black but rarely STAY black. 99% of the time, they turn albino before reaching adulthood. Having a Siamese Doll stay black until adulthood can happen, but is very, very rare.

I happenned upon Ghostie strictly by accident (didn't even know what she was until someone here told me last year). I bought her as an ordinary fantail from "you-know-where'.

Lisa

I have heard of people selling Black Siamese Dolls also.I thought the name went with the "body type" and that you could get them in black or Albino. :idont

I have googled on this subject along with just a general subject of Moors,and have been rather frustrated because I haven't been able to find much information on anything.

I've heard Siamese---Broad Tail--Ribbon Tail--Butterfly,etc,but does anyone know where to find any info?

Ive got 4 Moors(well 3 as one went Orange). :rolleyes:

All three are different looking to me. Mambo looks to me similar to a Butterfly,Jet looks to resemble a Broad tail.Both of these fish look to have normal, full,Moor sized bodies. Benny is completely different.His body features are much more smaller,slender,almost pixie like,and his fins are very long.I got him when he was a tiny ,tiny little Moor.Today he looks like this. Forgive the pics but I've never gotten good pics of Moors,ever. :rolleyes:

DSCF9306.jpg

It's very hard to see just how petite he really is until another Moor is close.This is a bad pic,but it does show you the size of his body and the length of his fins.

So....Why is he so different,and what would he be labeled as ? :yeah:

DSCF9273.jpg

Well let me call the 2 stores and see what they say. I'm certainly not saying that it will be accurrate but let me find out how they are advertised. I am tempted to buy one and then we will find out. They look like Blk Moors but with very short compact bodies and rounded short fins. I haven't really starred at them but I will definately get a chance to go on Tues.

I am so NOT an expert - by any stretch of the imagination - but your small black moor has long, flowing fins like my Ghostie. I wonder...is that a characteristic of Siamese Dolls? Small body, long fins?

For some reason, I can only access 2 sites on my computer today (I think dh did somthing funky with our network) so I'm unable to help research this at the moment. I do clearly remember reading last year that Siamese Dolls CAN be black, but that it's very, very uncommon.

Sharon - if yours is, indeed, a Black Siamese Doll (and it looks possible to me), you've got an amazingly rare gf I do think.

Lisa

Those are both beautiful fish!! I absolutely love the Siamese dolls and have wanted one for a long time. I'm afraid to put telescopes with non telescopes though so I haven't done it.

I have seen many different types of moors and attribute it to just different breeding and genetics. I have seen the butterfly tails, I have seen the long tailed ones like yours Devs. I have seen ones with long, thin bodies and some with short, compact bodies. But I see fantails and other types of goldies like that as well.Most of the ones we see in pet stores are not high/show quality fish for the most part, and that's why you see all the different body types.

I have heard that the longer bodied ones have less health problems and no SB issues like the more inbred types because their body is closest to the wild (common/comet) form.

Guest Cattrix

Both Ghostie and the Black moor are pretty,,,, this is intersting because I was daydreaming as I was doing my dishes the other day,,, ( gets me thru the drudgery lol) I was wondering why I had not read or heard of any Dwarf types of miniture GF out there,,,.. I know that there could be problems with genetics in breeding for tiny.. though,,, What a cool thing if eventually more fish could be kept safely in a tank. Space is always a problem. :blink:

Regards

Cat

Guest Halloween

I have a Siamese Doll (albino). I've had her about 5 1/2 years and have pulled her from the brink of death about 3 times. She's a fighter!

IMG_1609.JPG

She has definitely stayed small. Here she is with my 6" (body) telescope. I got them both at the same time from the same tank:

IMG_1616.JPG

Goldie's eye is almost as big as her head!

IMG_1621.JPG

What an angel!! I love her!! So dainty, elegant.

It's very hard to see just how petite he really is until another Moor is close.This is a bad pic,but it does show you the size of his body and the length of his fins.

So....Why is he so different,and what would he be labeled as ? :yeah:

DSCF9273.jpg

That is some absolutely spectacular finage! :o *is envious* So pretty!

Archived