How Can I Disinfect My Python?

Katalyst

Yesterday without thinking I used my python on my hospital tank which is currently housing an oranda with a myriad of problems which I believe to be both parasitic as well as bacterial. On Saturdays I usually clean all the tanks in my house when it dawned on me what I had done.

I'm very leery of using bleach as I don't use anything that could potentially harm my fish as well as the fact that the bleach will eat away at the hosing and eventually it will deteriorate, at least that's why my boyfriend says. I know I can just fill up a tubful of bleach/water solution and just refill with Water/Prime but this will be my very last resort.

I'm wondering what everyone else does to disinfect it. I want to kick myself for doing this, I even have separate siphons for this very purpose. Darn flukes are making me wacky!

Thanks! :D

Kat, I bleach my vac's every couple of weeks and one in particular i've had for a few years and there's been no deteroration. Then I soak in hot water to make sure all the bleach has been removed... I like it because i know it kills all nasties :)

Since bleach is the quickest sure-fire way to disinfect your python, that's what I would do. I bleach my plastic plants and river rock every two weeks to keep them algae free, with no adverse effects on the plants yet (I rinse real well). You could try siphoning a bucket of fairly strong bleach/water through the siphon hose (just drop the faucet connector in the bucket, and use the hose as a siphon). Let the bleach/water residue lay in the hose for ten minutes or so. Then rinse with one bucket of clean water. Your tank siphon will be the final rinse and you should be good to go.

Dennis

Thanks Jen and Deniss I figured bleach was the way forward but then became a bit paranoid about detroying my python. After seeing your tank room Jen I know you'd never mess with your python. :blink: Deniss I'd love to see some photo's of your tank!

Thanks guys! Whew I feel so much better...

I keep a bucket of PotassiumPermanganate mix - a 10 gallon bucket. I just drop all equipment into the bucket when I am done with it and go on to the next piece of equipment. At the end of my fish servicing day, I fish it all out, rinse it well and hang to dry. I expect you could just as easily "vacumn" PP water through the syphon, too - and not have to worry about the bleach......

I keep a bucket of PotassiumPermanganate mix - a 10 gallon bucket. I just drop all equipment into the bucket when I am done with it and go on to the next piece of equipment. At the end of my fish servicing day, I fish it all out, rinse it well and hang to dry. I expect you could just as easily "vacumn" PP water through the syphon, too - and not have to worry about the bleach......

Great Idea!

Daryl I may have to start a fan club in your honor. I can't even count how many times you've helped me this week and in the past.

Geeze I may have to go to another pet store, as it is they were teasing me yesterday that I must sleep in the back. One of them shouts 'Norm' when I walk through the door. :hmm

I've used PP also to disinfect various equipment--Python, canister hoses, etc. If you do use PP keep in mind it can stain things a slight brownish color. Depending on what you're cleaning, that may or may not matter.

Happy cleaning!

Archived